Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any ISP not having problems?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just canceled by BT service. It was unusable for a month, and I refuse to pay anymore.

Is there any ISP that currently has usable service?

Colin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It all depends on a lot of things. Maybe you have a cr&p telephone line, you're too far from the exchange etc. Your problems might not necessarily stem from your ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭unnamed

It's the ISP alright. I know quite a bit about telecommunications, my phone line is very good (I was getting a >20Mb connection to the exchange).

From reading other threads, most ISPs are having problems after the exchange upgrade, is there anyone not having a problem with their ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

No problems on Eircom. Though I only have 2mb broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BUSHtheBOLLOX

same here i just got upgraded to eircom 3mb no problems although its not nearly good enough for the amount of comps i have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Get yourself BB from an Unbundled LLU provider, BT LLU, Smart are to name just two, just curious if you know so much about comms then you'd understand the nature of the problems with using DSL.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

if you know so much about comms then you'd understand the nature of the problems with using DSL.
    If you know so much about comms you would know what llu stood for, and realise that calling it unbundled llu is like getting money from the atm machine.
    Get yourself BB from an Unbundled LLU provider, BT LLU, Smart
    He obviously was using a LLU provider if he was getting 20Mbps over dsl. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For the record LLU is Local Loop Unbundled so calling a provider a Unbundled LLU is just pointless (Unbundled Local Loop Unbundled :)).

If he's getting 20MB then he's likely on LLU as already mentioned, its likely his problems are down to his specific line and so his options are resolve whatever is causing issues for ADSL services on his PSTN line be it fault with equipment at the exchange or interference on his line causiing no sync or disconnections or drop ADSL altogether and go with cable etc

Whatever, seems we have a lot of experts in here with nothing better to do, must be state employees.... (Runs into flame proof building) :)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    If you know so much about comms you would know what llu stood for, and realise that calling it unbundled llu is like getting money from the atm machine.

He obviously was using a LLU provider if he was getting 20Mbps over dsl. :rolleyes:

This didn't involve you so.... You seem to make a habit of making snide remarks about others posts yet miss the point yourself frequently

Cabaal wrote: »
    For the record LLU is Local Loop Unbundled so calling a provider a Unbundled LLU is just pointless (Unbundled Local Loop Unbundled :)).

If he's getting 20MB then he's likely on LLU as already mentioned, its likely his problems are down to his specific line and so his options are resolve whatever is causing issues for ADSL services on his PSTN line be it fault with equipment at the exchange or interference on his line causiing no sync or disconnections or drop ADSL altogether and go with cable etc

Excuse me putting one too many U's :rolleyes: And thank you for supporting my post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

right anyway, back on topic.

OP you'll likely need to find the source of the cause of your problems on ADSL to go with any ADSL provider, what exactly happened on BT?

Can you post some line stats so we can have a look see if therein lies the problem?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Am pretty sure your problem is a direct result of the upgrade.

Re-booting your router to get a new IP seems to help some people as a temporary measure. There are claims that IP addresses over 194.xxx.xxx are better.

Boo

Advertisement