Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advice on becoming an accountant

• 08-09-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi.

I'm entering my final year of college where I'll be finishing my honours degree in Business Studies. I am interested in becoming an accountant, I've done accounting as a subject in my course. I just have a number of queeries in regard to it.

a) Is it hard to find a firm to take you on at this stage (as in about 9 months before I'm available to work) and would you want to have something arranged in advance?

b) Would my course be deemed suitable. I've done accouting as a subject. I've also done it in an IT as opposed to a university, would that have any bearing? My results have been pretty solid thoughout around 65% average.

c) What would be the pay rate when you are being trained?

d) Are the exams tough?

e) Is there many vacancies available at the moment)

And does anyone have any particular advice about approaching the firms looking for a place?

Thanks.

Comments

De Rossi wrote: »
    a) Is it hard to find a firm to take you on at this stage (as in about 9 months before I'm available to work) and would you want to have something arranged in advance?
    No and yes. The big 4 start recruiting now, check out gradireland for dates, the smaller local firms closer to Christmas / in the new year. They always take on people and like to have it sorted well in advance.
    b) Would my course be deemed suitable. I've done accouting as a subject. I've also done it in an IT as opposed to a university, would that have any bearing? My results have been pretty solid thoughout around 65% average.
    Yes, it sounds perfectly suitable to me. Keep up that grade if at all possible. The only big disadvantage is that the bigger firms recruit from the commerce faculties of this country, and mightn't necessarily visit your campus to do interviews or be in contact with your careers service notifying them of closing dates etc. They will be near you though. The smaller firms I doubt would care all that much as long as you seem enthuastic, easy to manage, can do the job and look like you will pass your exams without much trouble.
    c) What would be the pay rate when you are being trained?
    Not much from talking to friends but I don't know - I trained in industry and abroad.
    d) Are the exams tough?
    They aren't easy but with attending lectures, application and question practice they are manageable. They will take up an awful lot of your spare time so be prepared to say goodbye to alot of your social life for 4 months at a time.
    e) Is there many vacancies available at the moment)
    Haven't a clue. the big firms will probably cut back but the smaller ones will have a constant demand for the simple reason that no-one wants to stay on the same rubbish salary they were on as a trainee and tend to move on so there is constant progression.
    And does anyone have any particular advice about approaching the firms looking for a place?
    The sooner the better. You could have a job sorted within 8-10 weeks and then all you have to do is focus on keeping your grades up.

These are the practices recruiting to train chartered accountants at the minute
    the number will grow from November to the spring when they recruit most. Those guys are probably looking for people right away.
    Other advice: be positive and forward (even this post marks you out from the crowd).

All interviewers want to know is:
    can you do the job? (your current results in an honours business degree suggest yes)
    will you do the job? - you seem to be committed to train so I guess that is a yes aswell.
    will you be easy to manage? Are you arrogant - bad, can you chat freely without much hesitation - good, can you handle stressful situations (eg akward client, deadlines) -good

Last piece of advice: consider training in industry, or going to england. I did both and it has worked out well so far.

Exemptions This has all the ITs listed so you can compare your degree from a purely academic point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 De Rossi

Thanks alot for that. A smaller local firm would probably be more suitable for me anyway because I'd rather not relocate if at all possible. Just one more question I'd have is how would you recommend getting in touch with the firms. Should I drop them an email or call into their offices or send in a CV?

Thanks alot for that. A smaller local firm would probably be more suitable for me anyway because I'd rather not relocate if at all possible. Just one more question I'd have is how would you recommend getting in touch with the firms. Should I drop them an email or call into their offices or send in a CV?
    To be honest I haven't a clue - I got my job through an online ad.

I reckon read what it says on the institute website, then send in a cover letter and CV. Give it a day or two to be delivered then follow up with a phone call. Usually it is one partner or the boss who is responsible for hiring. They are sometimes named on the site. Ask for the person by name if possible.

To me this would be more effective than sending dozens of CVs to random firms.

Also if you know the name of the firms hiring or in your home area, ask around. There will be plenty of self employed people in your extended network who need an accountant. They can tell you which firms have the same 3 people for the last 20 years and which always hire two or three trainees each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

Generally the firm's website will tell you if theyre recruiting or not. If they are recruiting, the website will provide you with the relevant email address to contact with your CV. If your not sure if theyre recruiting or not, give them a ring and someone will tell you if they want you to email your CV to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gradireland

Hi there

If you are graduating you might be interested in the gradireland Graduate Careers Fair.

gradireland Graduate Careers Fair
    Tuesday 14 October 2008
    Main Hall, RDS, Ballsbridge, Dublin
    11.00 am - 5.00 pm
    FREE ENTRY

Register at www.thegraduatecareersfair.ie

gradireland Graduate Careers Fair will feature 170+ companies, including some of the largest graduate recruiters in Ireland and abroad, several postgraduate providers, small to medium size companies and volunteer organisations.
    A series of talks and seminars will run throughout the day and careers advisers will be at hand for one-to-one careers advice sessions.

gradireland Graduate Careers Fair starts at 11.00 am . Make sure you are there early so you can make the most of all the services available and get to talk to as many companies as possible.

gradireland

Advertisement