Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone top 5 pubs or any number if possible

Options
  • 08-09-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I just recently moved to Athlone So was hoping to organize a good pub crawl some night to get to know the place (:D best way to get to know an area in my opinion :D ) so if anyone could help in giving me their top 5 it would be appreciated although there might not be that many good pubs any comments will help. In my mid 20's as well, could narrow it down for you. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

I'll give you my typical itinery for any sat night! Athlonians tend to move from the the bad side to the good side of the Shannon, or from west to east for those who are unfamiliar with the area!

Typically, this is the way it goes,

Start off in Seans Beer garden, you should be there early enough to get a seat and have the chance to leave before the D4 wannabees arrive, then you proceed to the Palace to get the start of the talent arriving.

Might be an idea to stop of at the castle innfor a quick one. The castle is a good aul spot but i only tend to stay for one or two as it wouldn't be one of my regular haunts.

From there move onto Gerties which is basically the most popular pub in town at the moment but tends to get ridiculously packed by 10.

At this point we move onto Harveys down near the strand. Nothin special bout this place but still gets the crowds.

Last port of call is the prince. The prince is a cool bar in my opinion. For some unknown reason, it did no business for its first three years after it opened but in the last while it has started getting the crowds which is only right as it is a really classy pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 prisoner42

sounds like a good night ill have to get a few people together to do that. surprised prince's bar took so long to catch on looks like a decent spot to me but haven't been out in it yet, will be soon ;).
    cheers!! for the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

What a load of old bull**** Neaideabh.To call the West side of Athlone the bad side shows a total lack of knowledge of the area.Obviously you must be a blow in to make such a statement.As a proud westsider Im happy to say that all the best pubs and most atmospheric restaurants are located on the West Side.Your own pub crawl starts with just three of them,but I have spent many a happy weekend crawl without ever crossing the bridge.

So forget about your east side boring pubs and even more boring shopping centers.Athlone most stylish street is now the West sides Pearse St.

STAY WEST.................ITS BEST.

West is best! :)

Advertisement