Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armstrong to return, ride in '09 Tour

Options
  • 08-09-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Lance Armstrong will come out of retirement and race in the Tour de France next year, sources close to the situation have told Velo News.

Armstrong, who will turn 37 years old this month, would race with Astana, the sources said.

The seven-time Tour de France winner will race in the Amgen Tour of California, Paris-Nice, the Tour de Georgia, the Dauphine-Libere and the Tour de France — for no salary or bonuses.

Armstrong's manager, Mark Higgins, did not answer questions.

An article about Armstrong's comeback will be published in the upcoming issue of Vanity Fair, Velo News said.

Armstrong reportedly will reunite with his former team manager Johan Bruyneel, who guided Armstrong and his teams Motorola and U.S. Postal Service to seven straight Tour de France titles.

Sources also told Velo News that Armstrong will post all of his internally tested blood work online to prove that he's clean.

Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I saw that on some random forum a while back. I wonder how true it is, and if if he did, would he be a contender?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I find this very strange, if it is true. He's 37, will have been out of competition for four years by next years Tour. I can't see him winning much. Maybe he just misses racing. Would be very odd seeing him working as a domestique for Contador.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

is it April the 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Maybe Bruyneel is blackmailing him.

is it April the 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

smithslist wrote: »
    is it April the 1st?
    No it's double posting!

kmart6 wrote: »
    No it's double posting!

i had to ask twice.....to be sure

heres the link:
    http://www.velonews.com/article/82892/sources-lance-armstrong-coming-back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Thesee rumours always come out from time to time, I would like to see him come back but i just dont think they are true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I think the chances of him coming back are pretty slim - In fact I'm so confident he won't come back if he does I'll do the Wicklow 200 in this outfit....shoes and all...

borat_cannes_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I think the chances of him coming back are pretty slim - In fact I'm so confident he won't come back if he does I'll do the Wicklow 200 in this outfit....shoes and all...

borat_cannes_2.jpg

Jeebus, if he does, I'll pay you not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm sure Levi and Berto will be delighted to be Lance's new super domestiques...;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Apparently he's meant to reveal all in an interview in Vanity Fair later on this month. By then we'll know whether Funkyzeit will be investing in a mankini.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

this would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Morgan wrote: »

Oh, bang goes my theory that he was riding to force Prudhomme's hand and let Astana into the Tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I reckon if he does he'll make a tit of himself. He was the ultimate super sportsman, that's undisputed (?), but not being 'ageist' i think he is too old now and been out of the game too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I reckon if he does he'll make a tit of himself. He was the ultimate super sportsman, that's undisputed (?), but not being 'ageist' i think he is too old now and been out of the game too long.

Yep, which made me think he had an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

It was the same about 10 years ago when he made his comeback intresting how people were saying the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Maybe he's found some new, undetectable wonder drug that'll guarantee him the win, and he just wants to get even more smug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Malcolm Eliott is 47 and he still rides for team Pinarello... and he never came close what Armstrong achieved in his career.

Let him come back if he wants to.

• Advertisement

The stuff on cyclingnews.com today makes me a little sceptical. Astana are denying it. If it were true they'd probably be saying 'no comment'. If he were doing it, you'd have to wonder what other team he'd go to. Can't see him jumping on board at Garmin-Chipotle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

There have been so many rumours about him doping maybe he just wants to come back and prove that he's clean and still be competitive, though not win.

Kind of like saying, well if I'm still up there at 37 and definitely clean then why couldn't I have been as good as I was and clean when I was younger.

By the way, Rebellin is 37 and is no slouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Maybe he's found some new, undetectable wonder drug that'll guarantee him the win, and he just wants to get even more smug :)

You mean even newer than the wonder drugs that he was taking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

ROK ON wrote: »
    You mean even newer than the wonder drugs that he was taking.:)

Ooooooooooooooo controversial!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Ooooooooooooooo controversial!

Any thread mentioning the man must descend into drug rumors... it's the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Won't happen. This all stems from him re-registering for out of competition testing which he had to do to take part in the recent leadville 100 Mountain Bike race. From there a few people added 2 + 2 and got 5. No way he would come back and taint his legacy. He wouldn't ride for anyone other than Astana and I cannot see him riding support for Contador anymore than I could see Contador riding support for him.

If anything its just a media stunt to promote something or other. Expect to see some new fundraising initiative, book, clothing line, etc... announced in the vanity fair magazine. He's just getting his name out there and reminding people he still exists, the guy knows his name is a brand and brands need to be publicised if you want them to sell, its just simple economics. He has proven very adept at this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Won't happen. This all stems from him re-registering for out of competition testing which he had to do to take part in the recent leadville 100 Mountain Bike race. From there a few people added 2 + 2 and got 5. No way he would come back and taint his legacy. He wouldn't ride for anyone other than Astana and I cannot see him riding support for Contador anymore than I could see Contador riding support for him.

If anything its just a media stunt to promote something or other. Expect to see some new fundraising initiative, book, clothing line, etc... announced in the vanity fair magazine. He's just getting his name out there and reminding people he still exists, the guy knows his name is a brand and brands need to be publicised if you want them to sell, its just simple economics. He has proven very adept at this in the past.

So what your saying is there could be a possibilty of him lining out in Comeragh Colors next year for the league races as a lead out man for Robin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I wouldn't say no, I suppose Junior ! We will probably put a team in the RAS and can always use a handy rider or two, speaking of which are you still retiring from the sport or are you going to bite the bullet and come join us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Its the oligarchs money that may be tempting him. New team, high profile rider ??? slight possibility but don't think it will happen

Advertisement