Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always hungry

• 08-09-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a 34 yo Male - 6’1,186 lb’s ish

Long story short, I was overweight most of my life, a couple of years ago due to a couple of life events happening I decided it was time for change and started to exercise and eat better and am now at a stage where I’m fitter and healthier than ever and actually am loving the exercise as it’s “my” time.

But I have one problem and that is lately I am always hungry especially in the evenings, now I haven’t lost or put any weight on for a long time (nor am I really trying to), my goals are simply to be healthy & to be reasonably toned all over.

Sample days eating looks like:

Breakfast: Bowl of porridge (made with roughly 2 tablespoons each of Oatbran, Millet flakes & Oats, 1 tablespoon of flax seed, 1 teaspoon of ginger and 1 teaspoon of honey) accompanied by some natural low fat yoghurt.

Mid morning snack: 60 grams (total) of Almonds & raisins

Lunch: Big salad (lots of carrots, peppers, lettuce, beans, cucumber, tomatoes etc + either Salmon or Chicken, topped off with some balsamic vinegar), low fat Glenisk yoghurt, one pint of skimmed milk and an apple

Afternoon snack: Orange & Banana

Dinner: varies but typically something like a big chicken stir-fry , followed by either a big bow of Rhubarb & natural yoghurt

Evening Snack: either a Granola bar or Nakd (http://eatnakd.com/)bar and a piece of Dark chocolate to wash it down:)

Exercise looks something like
    2 days a week – all over weights day in the gym (not massive weights)
    2 days a week – combination of Running, Rowing and cycling in the gym (usually about an hour or so)
    1 day – long outdoor run – currently up to around 20KM’s

Obviously on the day of my long run I eat more than normal to replace the burnt energy, pasta and bagels usually in addition to the above). I don’t smoke or drink although I do like to splash out on a take-away (Pizza, Chinese or chipper) once a week or so and I also like a hot dessert one of the day also but in general I have what I consider to be a reasonably healthy diet ( I also drink loads of water daily so I'm not dehydrated) but my problem continues to be I’m always hungry, obviously the solution (or one solution is to eat more) but I’m looking for some suggestions as to what and when? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Protein is generally more satiating so eating some more fish/meat/nuts etc. would help. Of course more overall cals will probably help too!

If you're worried about gaining any fat then I'd say try to fit in the extra food in your earlier meals.

Don't forget though that as you're quite active, the hunger could well be your body trying to tell you it needs more food, rather than the old overweight you trying to get back out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I suspect your body is trying to tell you it needs more fat. Apart from the nuts and granola, most of your food is very low in fat, and you do need a certain amount to be healthy. Not to mention, full.

Try eating some juicy steak instead of all the fish and chicken (excellent foods, but so is steak). Make some full fat dressing with extra virgin olive oil instead of always going for low fat yogurt. Include some hard cheese in your salad, good for calcium as well as protein and fat.

And make sure you are taking enough fish oil.

Advertisement