Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Xbox Live problem

• 08-09-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey. I'm in the process of switching over to UPC from Eircom but I seem to be having some trouble with Xbox Live. I have a wireless adaptor for my 360 and a have my UPC connection connected to a 3com Officeconnect wireless router. My laptop and other wireless devices are working normally, but I can't connect to Xbox Live. It says that it fails to obtain an ip (presumedly fails to get a local one off the router). Anyone else have this problem? It seems pretty odd that the router won't assign it an ip. I have previously used the router with other isp's and I've been able to connect to Xbox Live without any problems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

Hi Chaosinthesnow.... I had a similar problem a while back and you wouldn't believe what the problem was. Is there any chance that you have a wicklow person in the house with you? I discovered that they display very similar characteristics to the xbox wireless antenna, I don't know why because my application for funding into this was rejected in favour of some stupid experiment in Switzerland about black holes.

Anyway the wicklow person seems to act as the wireless xbox system in a sort of destructive interference way. To clarify, the router will assign the ip to the wicklow person instead of the xbox. I have a theory that this can lead to possibilities of minor electrocution via similar means but once again I can't get the funding.....

So anyway I fixed my problem with a hurley (or a hard reset to the wicklow person is the technical term I think). Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands as the service providers won't support any unproven theories. Right about the time I rang UPC I was thinking how handy that funding would be to prove this so i asked them. I think there was a problem with my line then because I got cut off somehow so I didn't actually get a response....

I'm telling you though, that could be your problem. If you do indeed have a wicklow person in your house then this adds a lot of credability to my claims. So to fix I used the hard reset option but I'm sure there's some way of actually shutting down the wicklow person and thus ending the interference....

To point out, this worked for me for about a day but then UPC actually cancelled my account due to "admin errors". Also apologies if my recollection is a little hazy but I was on a large amount of experimental medication at the time.

I later discovered that i don't have a phone.... weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

I had this problem before, a couple of years ago. I think what you need to do is actually plug directly into your modem in order to make your first connection. Once you do that, try connecting again to the wireless. It worked for me.
    You may need to reboot the modem when plugged into the xbox, so that when it boots up again, it's the first thing it'll detect. ( I don't know why, but I remember having to do that when I was having problems connecting originally).
    Haven't had any problems since I did all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andyrew619

well i just got the 15 meg uppc and i could'nt connect at first but then i realised my password was in cap.locks so i tried caps and it worked.

the other thing is can anybody help me with this im playing blackops and every 40 mins i lag out of games an lose all the xp i earned can anybody help me with this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 juji

For your 40 min prob, its more than likely your WPA key. Go onto your router and change the Wireless - Security - WPA TO WEP. Then assign a passcode and click "generate wep key" or something like that. (That worked for my cisco router and xbox).

Yet my new problem remains, Now I literally appear everywhere and anywhere at any given moment on Halo:reach and people have actually reported me for LAg and hacks.... Not true on hacks but that is how bad it looks to others.

Advertisement