Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good history books for 11-13 year old girls

Options
  • 08-09-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭

My niece is getting into reading and is looking for a couple of good history books. I gather she's looking for stories set in the past with some degree of historical accuracy (She asked for WW2 period initially). Any recommendations folks? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

Theres a series of (fictional) books set in different periods in the form of diaries, i loved them when i was that age, heres the link on amazon for a ww2 one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blitz-My-Story-Wartime-1940-1941/dp/1407103717/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220903344&sr=1-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Wrong period but I remember loving a historal fiction book about Strongbow and the Flight of the Earls and I suspect it was The Flight of the Earls by Michael Mullen but not 100% sure.

On WW2, I suggest Summer of my German Soldier. I know it's fiction but it is perfect for her age and set in the correct time. It's an amazing novel. I read it at her age and have never forgotton it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks folks. I'll check them out for her. I think that's what she would like. fiction with some kind of recognizable historic background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

'The Silver Sword' is a great book. There's also the obvious classic 'Diary of Anne Frank'..... or maybe even 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas'......

I'm a sucker for the WW2 stuff as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

WW2 books -

Marilyn Taylor - Faraway Home
    Lois Lowry - Number The Stars
    Michael Mullen - Pillars of Fire
    Alison Leslie Gold - Hannah Goslar Remembers [non-fiction but very readable; Hannah Goslar was a friend of Anne Frank's and this is worth reading in conjunction with her diary]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 star-bright

The Book Thief, is excellent and set during WW2. although its set closer to WW1 The Star of Kazan is also a very good book. both would be really suitable

Advertisement