Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accomodation help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

radgirl19 wrote: »
    im from cork which now seems so far away!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

OK now I know exactly how you feel! I'm a final year (from the good old people's republic) but I was on campus in first year, in Merville. Its quite hard coming up from Cork because no one, and I mean no one comes up to UCD. They all go to UCC!

I know at times you might not want to make the effort but a really good place to start is if you hear of a party just from someone you've talked to once, you should go. Even if you don't want to go out after (the parties will get broken up at around 11 anyway) its a great way to get to know people who are living around you.

Also wait til freshers week and get involved in a few socities and clubs. You're bound to find someone there that lives on campus too. That in turn will get you to meet more people and so on. Also, for when you do go out, I know you're not supposed to have guests, but people do, and that big long couch by the window? People will become your best friend just to have a chance of getting to use it as a bed

I wouldn't give up on Belgrove so easily. I know it's not the nicest looking place but it does have the best student craic. Ask in the accommodation office if a room opens up can you have it if you pay the difference (these rooms open surprisingly often due to the fact that people will get kicked off campus). If you just move straight out you will lose out, both on fee's and the chance to meet people. It's only been a day. Give it a little more time!

(Oh and for a tip for travel, Bus Eireann give a much better service-the bus is newer, its only €16.50 return, and you queue (the aircoach is a lot of pushing and worrying if there's a big crowd) and if there's a big crowd (usually on a Friday) bus eireann will often put on a second bus, one going straight to Cork, the other going to the towns (which cuts off about 30 mins easily on the travel time). Aircoach don't do this. If they have a full bus, and every single one is going to Cork, they will still go through all the towns to tell any waiting people that a bus has passed but its full. Its also the only mode of transport never to breakdown on me. And finally, in the freshers tent, bus eireann have a stand and they give out half price journeys (they're in the bags) so get a bunch of them, so that makes it €8.25 return!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

i really dont like belgrove!!. im here to get a degree yet everyone else seems to be here to drink!!! im fair depressed tonight im dreading the next 4 yrs here!!! every1 seems to have come with friends and dosnt want to make new ones!! i dont know anyone here and im really lonely :(:(:(:(

Look on the bright side girl! I knew no-one half the first years are probably in the same situation too) but in lectures if you sit beside the people that look lost and just turn over and say "Hi!", you're grand. that's what it's all about right people?
    So don't be dreadng the next four years it only just started (next year you live where you like).

As i said I knew no-one, know a handful of cool people. And i don't even have a place to stay for the year yet cos i didn't even get the alcoholic infested accommodation, so do count yourself lucky. S'all good in the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

is anyone else sick of random people ringing there doorbells??? its so annoying!!!!!!!!

but re the room mate thing i said it to her this morning and was like sorry but i couldnt get him to go home!! but there is no chance of a single room but i think i will email the su about off campus cos i cant stick this crap!!

ps where is every1 from??

Just an idea here but ask your room mate if you could swap till end of year.Also I am sending you a Pm

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

i was in belgrove last year, it seems awful at first but it does improve, its absolutely crazy during the first week of the semester what with noise and parties and fire alarms being set off up to three times during the night:mad:... I didn't have a twin room but a girl I know did and she hated it at first also, but once you get to know your roommate more it gets better... however if you are still hating it after a while try talking to the accommodation officer in the students union, maybe he/she can help you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i think we should set up another boardsie meet up just so Radgirl can come and meet all of us.give her a few good friends around the college that she can call if it comes to it :)

im from dublin by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

kev_s88 wrote: »
    i think we should set up another boardsie meet up just so Radgirl can come and meet all of us.give her a few good friends around the college that she can call if it comes to it :)

im from dublin by the way
    yea good idea,
    i was hoping she would turn up today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 radgirl19

couldnt make it today had a lecture......im so lonely tonight....... my room mates are all gone out.......and i just feel crap........ive been crying for ages......i think coming here iv made the biggest mistake of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

hey radgirl its ok, were all here for you and most have been in the same boat. check you pm hun x

couldnt make it today had a lecture......im so lonely tonight....... my room mates are all gone out.......and i just feel crap........ive been crying for ages......i think coming here iv made the biggest mistake of my life

dont say that.all you need is to make some friends around here and you'll be fine. a lot of the boardsies are living on campus and once you get to know them then you'll have ppl to hang around with in the evenings....

if your free at 12 tomorrow i think a few of us are thinking of meeting up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Radgirl, will you meet up with some of us tomorrow at 12? You sound like you could do with some friends, post-haste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

dont say that.all you need is to make some friends around here and you'll be fine. a lot of the boardsies are living on campus and once you get to know them then you'll have ppl to hang around with in the evenings....

if your free at 12 tomorrow i think a few of us are thinking of meeting up

Woohoo!! Another Boards meet. I'm free for an hour at 12 tomorrow. :D:D:D

Radgirl, hope ye can make it. Us boardsies gotta stick together. Once you get to know a few people, its not so bad. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 radgirl19

i have a chem tutorial :(:(:(:(

update the tears have stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

when are you free tomorrow radgirl19?

i have a chem tutorial :(:(:(:(

update the tears have stopped

well when are you free.we can try organise it around you given that your the noob of the group lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

badger badger badger

Raemie wrote: »
    badger badger badger

mushroom mushroom

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

mushroom mushroom

Its a snake, its a snake..................Badger badger badger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Gosh don't feel like that! Your situation may seem pretty awful at the minute but there's plenty of people around who are willing to befriend you!:D There are nice people here in UCD!!

I live over in Roebuck - I haven't actually been to Belgrove yet but my friend lives there and I think I shall be popping over to see her room at some stage tomorrow. Are you paying the same for a twin room as for a single room? Cause if you are that's ridiculous...it's as bad as the ones in the renovated apartments in Merville paying the same as the people living in the non-renovated apartments!

Don't be lonely :o

im a first year from kerry and il be living in belgrove and am just wondering does everyone go home at weekends??
    im from cork which now seems so far away!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sorry to be sceptical but where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

she got confusled by all the trouble me thinks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

bumping.
    I actually hate my house on campus this year. There's a nightmare of a housemate who accused us of stealing from her and went down to the RAs about us and everything. its such a horrible atmosphere here, i actually want to cry.

bumping.
    I actually hate my house on campus this year. There's a nightmare of a housemate who accused us of stealing from her and went down to the RAs about us and everything. its such a horrible atmosphere here, i actually want to cry.

/hugs awww

Just keep your door locked and tell her to do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

bumping.

Bring it in...*more hugs* You'll always get those twats that think you're stealing from them, taking their food etc. If it happens again, try get the horror housemate on her own (on a good day) and explain to her that you didn't steal. If she keeps it up....ignore her and do your own thing!!

Advertisement