Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost bins

Options
  • 08-09-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

Just wondering do compost bins attract rodents?? If so whats the best way to keep them out...eg the best make of composter.
    I'm going to plant some veg in the garden and I think it would make good fertiliser but herself does'nt want rats!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Normally no risk so long as you only compost uncooked foodstuffs. There does seem to be some evidence that the presence of cooked foods in composters can and does attract various rodents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

TJGer wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering do compost bins attract rodents?? If so whats the best way to keep them out...eg the best make of composter.
    I'm going to plant some veg in the garden and I think it would make good fertiliser but herself does'nt want rats!

We had a mouse in our compost bin, still can't figure out how it got in there, guaranteed no cooked food, and only about a quarter way full.

I went to empty the small (lidded) bin into the composter one day and noticed some movement, thought it was a mouse.

Hubby put a mouse trap on the top and next morning there was a result, he put the trap back in there several times after with no result.

As I was the one who wanted the compost bin in the first place, green and all that, I'm glad it was not a larger type of rodent, if it was I would have tossed the lot into the black bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I'd say he was only using it as a nice warm home as opposed to been attracted to food.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mr Kite

Yeah the compost bins that make contact with bare ground have the potential for mice or rats to make a tunnel into the compost. One solution that I use is the old council refuse bin that was in use before the wheelie bins.
    I turned mine upside down and drilled about ten 8mm holes for drainage and then sat the bin on top of a plastic basin of the same diameter. that way There is a liquid run off into the basin - which can be used as a weak organic fertiliser - The lid on the bin stops rodents and the basin stops anything tunnnelling into compost bin.
    I think those old style bins are still on sale into the big DIY stores.

Slater bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

any pics of that mr. kite sounds like something i might try

• Advertisement
Advertisement