Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafones broadband....

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

In the next few days ill probably be getting vodafones mobile broadband as Ill need it for college this year and also the fact im sick of having only dial up at home as theres no eircom bb in my area.

Just wondering a few things though. Whats the limit on the vodafone bb I think its 5gb? Apart from not downloading anything how much of this would get used say when viewing a 4 minute video on youtube? Im just curious to see if id go way over the 5gb limit by browsing the net and using youtube alone and not downloading any files?

Also is there any way of checking how much youve used during the month so you wont get a shock when the bill arrives or does it just stop working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

joe123 wrote: »
    In the next few days ill probably be getting vodafones mobile broadband as Ill need it for college this year and also the fact im sick of having only dial up at home as theres no eircom bb in my area.

Just wondering a few things though. Whats the limit on the vodafone bb I think its 5gb? Apart from not downloading anything how much of this would get used say when viewing a 4 minute video on youtube? Im just curious to see if id go way over the 5gb limit by browsing the net and using youtube alone and not downloading any files?

Also is there any way of checking how much youve used during the month so you wont get a shock when the bill arrives or does it just stop working?

limit is 5GB. 4 Min vid on youtube prolly uses up around 2-3mb. Yes you can setup a meter within the program and set it to 5120 MB or whatever limit you want. Once this is getting close to filling up you`ll get a warning etc

I personally find there service excellent ( tallaght area )

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Same situation myself. In 1 area of my house the signal is always nearly full. I am even able to play over xbox live here. Other areas are not so good and I usually just get GPRS which is not much faster than dial-up to be honest. However the 5g limit is a joke. The first month I got a bill for 120 euro. With no downloading this month I have still managed to go over it. Really looking for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well I was in a vodafone shop today. The worker in the shop took all my details and was tappin away and stuff.She rang up some crowd who I thought was going to activate it.She gets off the phone and says ive been declined!?

I asked her what the reason was and she said they dont give a reason they just accept or decline people sometimes but she said its probably because im 21 and im a student.

So does this mean no student can get this broadband? I mean what the fook?? Students would be some who need it most. Anyone else experience this sort of ****e?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye something similar. My OH went in to get it as the modem is free at the moment.Everything was fine and the guy was about to give it to her and was just finishing up putting in her details and then asked her for e100 deposit which she would get back in 6 months. We were just staring at the guy. He said it was because she was a student. Vodafone suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's Mobile Internet, not Broadband. Nearly any fixed Wireless Broadband is far better.

Try O2 or "3" if Vodaphone won't offer a contract. Though speed varies by area. In some areas O2 might be better as they have EDGE and 3G. "3" only has 3G/HSDPA, no GPRS and may be using a shared IP for many people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

O2 have a whole student deal going on, I have o2, and I find them good enough at home, great in work!
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Broadband/HEAnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

4:00 on youtube is around9-10 MB:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 limerick-kev24

Same situation myself. In 1 area of my house the signal is always nearly full. I am even able to play over xbox live here. Other areas are not so good and I usually just get GPRS which is not much faster than dial-up to be honest. However the 5g limit is a joke. The first month I got a bill for 120 euro. With no downloading this month I have still managed to go over it. Really looking for an alternative.

Hey, i do know ice bband have a service in cetain areas and althought the speed is only up to 4mb they have unlimited download for 37.99 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

have just set it up and cant find the send /receive settings for outlook on the vodafone site.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hey, i do know ice bband have a service in cetain areas and althought the speed is only up to 4mb they have unlimited download for 37.99 a month.

Don't touch them with a barge pole, read around.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 limerick-kev24

there is a lot of people who have the service and have no problems whatsoever, depends on location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Carlow52 wrote: »
    have just set it up and cant find the send /receive settings for outlook on the vodafone site.
    Thanks.
    Try pop.vodafone.ie

Advertisement