Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im thinking of going back and doing another degree

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Here's my predicament (if you can call it that), I'm doin my final year of a BA in geography, and I really enjoy the physical (scientific) stuff and I'm kind of indifferent to the human stuff, I'm really interested in climate change and all that racket, so I'm considering applying to the CAO again and applying to do science or geology/climatology and earth systems etc... that kind of stuff. I'm in two minds about things, because on the one hand its really interesting and I'd be doing "proper" science, but on the other it's another 4 years as an undergrad. Does anyone have any advice on what way I should go about things. Geography is great but, when it comes to some of the post grads it's kind of (about 50-60% of the time) limited i.e. MSc courses want science graduates not arts people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

My best advice to you is do what you think will make you happy. From my own experience i did tv/video prod then radio, worked in radio for a bit & realised it was a big mistake. So here i am at age 26 only starting a degree i wish i had done when i was 18 :rolleyes:

As the dude in the mature orientation said do you want to be 40 with a degree of choice or 30 (or maybe younger in your case :p)

Decide what you really want & go for it. Not all of us have the luxury of knowing what we want first time round, getting a degree & going into a job of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe you could talk to someone in the department about what you could do to improve your chances of getting into a masters programme. I'm sure there's other factors than your undergraduate degree that are taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Cheers folks for those comments, I might have a chat with a few of them in the aul department and see what they say, and try and "nail down" what it is that I'm interested in that I can go on with further.

Take it easy folks!

Advertisement