Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin port tunnel and part M of the building regulations

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

As I was going through the dublin port tunnel, I noticed all the emergency escapes are up a kerb, preventing any wheelchair egress if a mobility impaired driver had a breakdown or in an emergency.
    I emailed the port tunnel people, and basically the reply is that mobility impaired customers should rely on other people either tunnel staff or other customers.
    In 2008 is that really good enough?

part M of the building regulations state:
    "Adequate provision shall be made to enable
    people with disabilities to safely and independently access and
    use a building."

the NRA state
    " Our safety case relies on the assistance these professionals would give to disabled (or injured and elderly) tunnel users in the vicinity of an incident; along with of course help from other tunnel users. "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think thats good enough. Everyone should be able to get at least as far as a place of safety by themselves - what if there are no other people available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

THat's an interesting one, all right. Part M regs don't normally apply to streets and roads. Is the tunnel legally considered to be a 'building' or a street or what, I wonder?

The enforcement body for the Part M regs is the relevant local authority building control officer, so you could try making a complaint to DCC. The enforcement process is pretty tortuous mind you, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

The recent NDA publication on evacuation notes the clear responsibility on building owners to be able to evacuate all building users in case of emergency, including people with disabilities - see http://www.nda.ie/egress

You could try making a complaint under section 27 of the Disability Act 2005 claiming that the goods supplied to DCC should be accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've looked at section 26 of the act the "services section" clearly outlines public bodies should integrate all services for all people with and without a disability.

and a room underground separate to the tunnel is definitely development or even a building
    my contact at the nra reckons they comply with all eu safety legislation, I might try get on to the EU case and see if there's anything there.

I've asked the dept of Environ if part M applies, I'll get onto the corpo if it does.

I asked why the kerbs couldn't be dished - against best EU practice apparently although with Guard rails either side of the kerb I don't think a vehicle could accidently mount the kerb where it is dished.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

That's pretty rubbish alright. What's their justification for such a design flaw?

Surely the kerbs can be dished easily enough. Against best EU practice me arse!

Advertisement