Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Month!

Options
  • 08-09-2008 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Found myself playing some older games recently. Well, more than a year old.

This month:

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne.

Found myself bored with Spore so grabbed this with the expansion. Hack n slash fun and total Diablo clone. This will keep you going until Diablo 3 comes out.

Original game plus expansion is €15 on play.com. Well worth a punt.

10r7j14.jpg

have fun!

Is this worth stickying? I was thinking a few criteria: the game has to be at least a year old and playable on most machines (most likely a PC game). Also it has to have an element of hidden gem about it. No use recommending Oblivion, it has to be something that most have not played but should have!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Never got round to Titan Quest. Managed to get Diablo 2 (plus expansion) and convinced a friend to get it aswell. Probably the best coop experince's iv ever had was such a good game. Sadly we got Hell and then stopped playing shame really:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Never played Titan Quest. Heard it about it ages of it was launched and seen it a few times on Steam.

Is there a decent single player or would i have to convince a friend to buy to do some co-op with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

god, old game! but its really good, got addicting for a little while, until i finished it then i lost interest [snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Frog people. Awesome. Never enough axe wielding frog people in computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Titan Quest was a good game, but it was fairly repetative. When playing Diablo and Diablo 2, even though they were repetative too, I didn't mind as I was really enjoying it, but with Titan Quest, I jsut got bored of doing the same thing over and over. It's still fun, but there are too many better games to even consider this for Game of The Month (maybe in a years time when nobody can think of anything else :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I should have added its MY game of the month :)

How about creating a vote system similar to album of the month in Alternative/Indie?

Criteria are:
    Must be at least 1-2 years old.
    Modest requirements - will play on most PCs
    Easily accessible, can be bought on Steam/play.com cheaply
    Avoided mainstream attention (sort of a hidden gem).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

ToughyIRE wrote: »
    torrent my friends!
    Careful now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Zillah wrote: »
    Frog people. Awesome. Never enough axe wielding frog people in computer games.

Bring back Battletoads !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

hoppo254 wrote: »
    Bring back Battletoads !

Funnily enough was just playing that there for the first time yesterday. I wanted to see if all the moaning about the speeder scenes was warranted and it was. Bring back battletoads but rare you can shove your ****ty impossible speeder parts right up your ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

• Advertisement

yes! that's the type of game I'm talking about. That was a great game even though my poor spatial relations skills did not lend to me being any good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

humanji wrote: »
    Titan Quest was a good game, but it was fairly repetative. When playing Diablo and Diablo 2, even though they were repetative too, I didn't mind as I was really enjoying it, but with Titan Quest, I jsut got bored of doing the same thing over and over. It's still fun, but there are too many better games to even consider this for Game of The Month (maybe in a years time when nobody can think of anything else :D )

Felt the exact same about TQ... Played for a couple of hours but just got sick of the repetition and it soon wound up at the bottom of my list of games that I'll get back to.
    Great idea for a thread, but needs a bit more planning. FotW's new system seems like a good idea (pick a random poster each month and get them to choose a game), but opening up the vote for everybody could work if somebody feels like organising it all...

FotW?

Film of the week:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

If you like to be scared outt ur pants then Clive Barkers Unding

play it at night, all the lights off, and no other scary game cant touch this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't think a voting system would work for a game of the week. I for one wouldn't like to be discussing commercial dross and popular games. I'd rather some one came up with a game of the week I didn't know anything about or had forgotten about. The current film of the week method would work a hell of a lot better.

Aye, one different person picking each week seems like the better option.
    Waiting a month for the next one seems a little extreme though, might as well make it a weekly thing

Yep, a random poster is a great idea. I couldn't decide between suggesting making it weekly or monthly but a monthly game might get more attention but then again a bad choice might linger too long.

@Retro; i agree, I don't want to be playing the popular choice, that's why we need to make it a hidden gem. But it also can't be so hidden that we get can't get a copy of it to play.

Also my preference is to keep it to PC format, I only have a laptop and an xbox 360 but have access to a LOT of pc games.

quarryman wrote: »
    Also my preference is to keep it to PC format, I only have a laptop and an xbox 360 but have access to a LOT of pc games.

Then again a lot of people don't use PC's to play games and it's not really fair on them either. It should be open to any format but the game should be sensibly choosen. Honestly I don't think people are going to go out and buy a game just so that they can talk about it. I wouldn't nominate something really obscure that nobody has played (as much as I'd like to :) ) and the games club in the emulation forum fell apart when people started nominating games for consoles that people had major trouble with trying to get up and running.

Obscure games are fine to nominate, something like Okami and Katamari which a lot of people have played but not something like Radiant Silvergun which would require obscure hardware to run. Even an obscure mame game would be fine if the emulator is easy to set up and the rom is easy to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 vic19

I agree it should open in any format.

• Advertisement

ok, who's stickying it and setting the rules etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

aye I think the method currently employed in the Film forum would work best (i.e. the moderator of this forum picks a regular here to write up a review of a game and it becomes the Gotw)

This way it filters out annoying fanboys who will create multiple accounts to get their favorite games to the top of the list (as what happened on the previous FotW voting system)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I thoroughly recommend Shadowgrounds & its improved, but shorter sequel. Great fun top down Alien Breed type shooty-rpg with a great lighting system. Sequel has great explodey physics. The game the recent Space Siege should have been. Has co-op too.

It's going cheap on Steam too. There's demos for both also. No-brainer guys. The kind of game this thread was made for.

http://shadowgroundsgame.com/new/index.php?page=popup_screenshot&image=shadowgrounds_screenshot_2006_04_06_01_800.jpg
    http://shadowgroundsgame.com/new/index.php?page=popup_screenshot&image=shadowgrounds_screenshot_2006_04_28_01_800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I think this is a great idea and agree that all formats should be allowed.

Are people planning to actually play the nominated Game of the Month or just discuss it?

elekid wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea and agree that all formats should be allowed.

Are people planning to actually play the nominated Game of the Month or just discuss it?

If I haven't played it yet, I'll definitely be making an effort to do so now...
    Shadowgrounds looks awesome, thanks for bringing it to my attention Maximilian. Grabbing the demos now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

have titan quest though never played it, will give it a go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

OK guys, my thoughts on this topic...

There's not a lot of deep discussion on the games board when it comes to critically analyzing, picking apart and enthusing about games. I'm not really sure why that is - there are plenty of keen, intelligent, well-informed posters on here. Perhaps its partly due to the segmentation of the games category.

Anyway, I'm a huge film buff, and I enjoy writing about movies. I post regularly on the film board, as do many other cinephiles. However, I don't think FotW has really proven to be a worthy exercise. Certainly, its original incarnation was little more than an attempt to recreate the IMDB Top 250, with next to no actual discussion taking place. A popular, mainstream 'cult' movie would be voted in, and the resulting thread would be a cacophony of "Great film, I love the DVD" or "Johnny Depp was excellent in this", "The direction and editing were great". It was by-in-large sycophantic, puddle-deep twaddle and provoked no real discussion. Questions like Why a movie is great, why Johnny Depp was excellent, or why the direction was great were left completely unanswered.

The new FotW format is in some ways better, in other ways worse. By one poster having the choice, there is at least one poster who is genuinely enthusiastic and passionate about the film, so the initial post tends to be a lot more in-depth. However, the resulting replies again tended towards the sycophantic, and it was rare that a real back-and-forth discussion got going. People also tend to choose more offbeat, leftfield films, which immediately narrows the possible audience.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of a Game of the Week/Month system, but I'd rather we kick it around a while to see if it cant be improved to provoke real, intelligent discussion.

There used to be a really good gaming forum called State. They had a regular series of threads under the title Kill Your Darlings, wherein one popular game (Halo, GTA, etc) was named with the intention to tear it apart and highlight its flaws and shortcomings. By immediately focusing on the little-discussed negatives of popular titles, it led to interesting discussions - and indeed, outright arguments!

Could that be a possible way forward? Lets hear it.

great post.

There's not a lot of deep discussion on the games board when it comes to critically analyzing, picking apart and enthusing about games. I'm not really sure why that is - there are plenty of keen, intelligent, well-informed posters on here. Perhaps its partly due to the segmentation of the games category.

Agreed. I miss the un-segmented way. I thought this idea might be a way to kick-start it again.

It was by-in-large sycophantic, puddle-deep twaddle and provoked no real discussion. Questions like Why a movie is great, why Johnny Depp was excellent, or why the direction was great were left completely unanswered.

noticed that.
    There used to be a really good gaming forum called State. They had a regular series of threads under the title Kill Your Darlings, wherein one popular game (Halo, GTA, etc) was named with the intention to tear it apart and highlight its flaws and shortcomings. By immediately focusing on the little-discussed negatives of popular titles, it led to interesting discussions - and indeed, outright arguments!

*googles* *finds nothing* what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think the guy who ran it stroke it rich after inventing a boardgame in Norway or something. The only mention of the site that I could find was on the triforce.com forum.

But anyway, there's no reason why this games forum can't beat a now extinct forum like state in the snobby intellectual discussion stakes - I mean, I wrote a dissertation on videogames ferchristssake!

• Advertisement

Hmm interesting idea. I'd be for it as long as I get to tear into FFVII, GTA and Halo. (altohugh I think people might be sick of the FFVII discussions that me and noodler keep having :) )

Advertisement