Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the Month!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

im all for critically knocking down a few games, but pure negativity can be very distressing for people not used to it, it could appear from the outside that everybody in the forum does not in fact actually like games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Discussion is the best way foward, for sure. As said, FotW has a more varied selection now but at the cost of discussion (only a few of the more unexpected choices have created any sort of debate, alot of the time its just the few people who've seen it +1ing the choice). I still think its an enjoyable weekly choice, but it is disapointing the lack of debate.

I think if people were willing to discuss in depth the strengths and negatives of a game the system will work. Its the kind of think were decent analysis would make for an interesting thread. If the first post was a long, well thought out one followed by ten "great choice" posts, its a shame.

A lot of good suggestions in the thread though (like the idea of picking a loved/hated 'classic' and just giving a forum for peoples praise and misgivings). Theres rarely a lot of in depth discussion on games forums as Nekkidbibleman points out (despite the presence of a lot of great,passionate posters), and it would be great to create a weekly thread as a place for intelligent discussion about a specific game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it's a good idea, I suggested a GotW thread a few months back but the timing was bad. Despite support the FotW "scandal" happened and then it became impossible to implement at the time.

Just one suggestion if it does go through, considering this is for in depth discussion of the game in question, could we ban the games that have their own forum because there's plenty of discussion going on in their forums already

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Perhaps the key thing to keep in mind is that 'Game of the Week' is not an award, and the thread isn't a platform to exclusively wax lyrically about it. The title, as with FotW, is perhaps misleading, encouraging people to extoll the virtues while ignoring the negatives, and thus any real debate.

'Kill Your Darlings' might swing too far in the other direction, but I think posters are more likely to defend a game than slate it, and maybe some real debate could develop.

Another idea is to stay away from the obviously great games. If a game is almost universally well regarded, it's probably not going to foster discussion. If we can get away from nominating the Halos, GTAs etc and focus on the uglier games, it may provide a more balanced argument.

Any other ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another idea is to stay away from the obviously great games. If a game is almost universally well regarded, it's probably not going to foster discussion. If we can get away from nominating the Halos, GTAs etc and focus on the uglier games, it may provide a more balanced argument.

To be honest I've a whole heap of criticism to throw at the GTA and Halo games. Nominate away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm interesting idea. I'd be for it as long as I get to tear into FFVII, GTA and Halo. (altohugh I think people might be sick of the FFVII discussions that me and noodler keep having :) )

I have never played a FF I wouldn't give 90%+ too. Just in case you thought I didn't like 6, great game just felt it suffered in what it could bring to the table dramatically.

I would even give FFX-2 a contreversial 90%. I know the 3 main characters were gay as you like but their 3 male counterparts (the leaders fo the 3 organisations) had fascinating back stories. Also
    the whole Sphere flashbacks of who we all though twas 'him' were remarkably well done.
    Battle system wasn't bad either!

I certainly didn't enjoy GTA:SA as much as some did. I preferred GTA3, seemed more polished, condensed....playable. I really had to force myself to get as far as I did (Just got some Rapper's house I believe).

Halo, and Halo2 are in the House but I wouldn't go near them unless it was for some multiplayer action.

Id sy you hate Pro Evo games Retro? I imagine its between them and FF as to what has taken up most of my PS2's time since I got it 6 years ago!

I have written two dissertations, neither on videogames! But Id be up for that as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not that I hate sports games they just don't interest me. Other than golf games and NHL games which are always surprisingly brilliant I wouldn't play a sports game although if I had to play a footie game it would be pro evo and when I do I usually get my ass kicked. I'm also not that fond of games that don't have a true ending for some reason. Since I don't play them much I really wouldn't be right for me to comment on them.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

quarryman wrote: »
    Found myself playing some older games recently. Well, more than a year old.

This month:

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne.

Found myself bored with Spore so grabbed this with the expansion. Hack n slash fun and total Diablo clone. This will keep you going until Diablo 3 comes out.

Original game plus expansion is €15 on play.com. Well worth a punt.

10r7j14.jpg

have fun!

Is this worth stickying? I was thinking a few criteria: the game has to be at least a year old and playable on most machines (most likely a PC game). Also it has to have an element of hidden gem about it. No use recommending Oblivion, it has to be something that most have not played but should have!

Picked up Titan Quest from Steam over the weekend. Great game. Very addictive. Nice graphics too.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm not sure if anyone actually took my recommendation about Shadowgrounds or not but if you like this sort of game, it might interest you to know that Team17 are apparently at work on a new Alien Breed game. Due in about 12 months they say.

Advertisement