Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW mk4 diesel engine advice/opinions needed

Options
  • 09-09-2008 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Was crashed into the back of last week and looks like the car will be a "write-off", I was driving a mk4 1.4 which is grand but obviously weak as you can get. Live in Ireland, thinking about going to England to get my new car. Would like the 150 engine but am looking for opinions on it? What about the 130? You lot will know far more than me!

I'm 20 years old with 3 years no claims, checked insurance on the 150 on its very reasonable.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had the 150 for a while. Really liked it as it was full GTI spec with full leather. Was plenty quick for our roads too. And with a remap I'm told they can be good for 180. Only thing about it was the ride was very stiff on the bumpy roads

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should also check on the Seat Leon. Same car as the Golf available with the same engine but prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Onkle wrote: »
    I had the 150 for a while. Really liked it as it was full GTI spec with full leather. Was plenty quick for our roads too. And with a remap I'm told they can be good for 180. Only thing about it was the ride was very stiff on the bumpy roads

I've seen cases of them being brought up to 200 and even more but a lot of things would obviously need changing if that was to happen. Was it a positive experience you had with it?

bazz26 wrote: »
    but prettier.
    oh come on.. you're a car enthusiast and male, don't call cars 'pretty' :D

ustari wrote: »
    I've seen cases of them being brought up to 200 and even more but a lot of things would obviously need changing if that was to happen. Was it a positive experience you had with it?

It was, apart from when it was serviced by an indy (company car and go to whatever garage i'm sent to) and they didn't replace the sump bung properly, car pissed out it's oil when I was on the M4 and the engine imploded. Had to be totally rebuilt, all at the expense of the Indy garage.

Then I had to change for a newer one and I really missed it

• Advertisement

Thanks Onkle.

More advice or experiences welcome!

I was doing in the region of 500miles per week and I was returning between 35-45 mpg too and tbh I did usually drive it fairly hard, accelerating quickly braking hard etc

ive been on pistonheads and autotrader.co.uk for most of the day! The price difference is unreal, mk4s demand way too high a price here I think.

same as every car unfortunately. Why are you going for the diesel? would you not consider the GTI? either the 1.8T or the 2.0. If insurance isn't bad on the 150 then it should be similiar on the GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

how much did they quote u on the 150?? and which company. AXA dont insure people under 22 on GTTDi and you have to be over 25 for the GTi im told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Was crashed into the back of last week and looks like the car will be a "write-off", I was driving a mk4 1.4 which is grand but obviously weak as you can get. Live in Ireland, thinking about going to England to get my new car. Would like the 150 engine but am looking for opinions on it? What about the 130? You lot will know far more than me!

I'm 20 years old with 3 years no claims, checked insurance on the 150 on its very reasonable.

thanks in advance

Hi,

I run a B5.5 Passat myself with the 130 TDI engine, overall I'm quite happy with it. The PD engines (despite some of the bashing they get around here!) are no dragsters but they are good compromise on power / economy. I'm sure the slightly lighter Golf with the 150 engine would have more of an "edge" to it. Driving within speed limits and a bit of cop on, high 50s is possible on a long trip but there's still enough grunt for overtaking etc. Driving it on of course you'll get alot less. Things have also moved on alot though since the 130s were the cutting edge, particularly on refinement and linearity of power. :p

I think your main problem will be finding a genuine well cared for / maintained example without paying silly money. I think the resale of these have taken a hit in the last 12 months due to vrt / road tax changes (you'll be stuck paying road tax on a 1.9 while 08 on cars will be paying half the amount as they will be based on cc), rising cost of diesel and they fact that the country is full of UK import Golf / Passats etc. already.

On a relability front they don't have quite as good a reputation as the non PD 90 / 110 units before them. I have heard of air mass sensors, injectors, dual mass flywheels and turbos giving trouble but I'd bet you could experience any of these failures on any badly maintained car. With the amount of them around I'm not surprised these rumors are around and wouldn't let it put me off in the slightest. I think the rest of the car has the possibility of throwing up more problems :D.

So overall I would have no hesitation in recommending one (the engine at least) but you should probably do your sums first. If your not doing substantial mileage, maybe a 1.8T would be a better fit?

@Onkle--- Think it will be worth my while cost wise to get diesel, intending on keeping it for a few years fingers crossed if i get a nice one.

@Conor--- With Quinn Direct, using their online quote thing. Usually they will do better for you over the phone. Got 1240 for 3rd party earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Connorzee wrote: »
    AXA dont insure people under 22 on GTTDi and you have to .

GTTDI?? Many people on boards will tell you that such a car never existed and i would be inclined to agree with them. There was never a "GT-TDi". "GT" was, only a trim level on the mk 4 golf.The same 110, 130 and 150 TDi engines were available in many other spec levels also.SE, Highline and whatever.They really are'nt a GTi with a diesel engine.I have, though driven a 150 and it was quite good fun, i have to say.:)

Thats true, dealerships put it on after to make the car sounded "fancier" as far as I know. Would be de badging mine anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Glad to see my GT TDI rantings are starting to take hold :D

If i was you ustari i would go for the 130 and i would without a doubt go UK,start your search on an enthusiasts forum like uk-mkivs.net when a car comes up for sale there you simply run a search on the user and find out every mod they have made or any problem they have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Regarding the earlier comment about remapping, I know a lad who had a A4 'RS' TDI with the same engine. It was 130 bhp and it was supposeed to be remapped to 170+ bhp. It felt quick & had the big puffs of black smoke out the twin massive exhaust when pushing on.
    Thing is, when he traded it in for the 140bhp TDI passat, it was a LOT quicker!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im looking at a 1.8T Gti myself.

Just wondering what its pushing out as standard? 130/150?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Unless its one of the special editions from the later years, it'll be putting out 150bhp

Regarding the earlier comment about remapping, I know a lad who had a A4 'RS' TDI with the same engine. It was 130 bhp and it was supposeed to be remapped to 170+ bhp. It felt quick & had the big puffs of black smoke out the twin massive exhaust when pushing on.
    Thing is, when he traded it in for the 140bhp TDI passat, it was a LOT quicker!

Hold up........WTF is an RS TDI A4? here we go again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Im looking at a 1.8T Gti myself.

Just wondering what its pushing out as standard? 130/150?

MkIV GTi had 150bhp and later a 180bhp version was available.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Glad to see my GT TDI rantings are starting to take hold :D

If i was you ustari i would go for the 130 and i would without a doubt go UK,start your search on an enthusiasts forum like uk-mkivs.net when a car comes up for sale there you simply run a search on the user and find out every mod they have made or any problem they have had.

Why would you recommend the 130? I know you know your stuff so I'll be taking your advice. Have looked at the classifieds on that, even created this topic there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I've never heard of them either, but there seem to be loads of them about, fecking muppets :rolleyes: :D

Why would you recommend the 130? I know you know your stuff so I'll be taking your advice. Have looked at the classifieds on that, even created this topic there too.

Well to me the 130 is a better drive much more spritely(despite its lesser BHP figure),most 130's will be putting out around 150 as standard anyway so you are getting the best of both worlds,by the same token most 150's will be putting out around 170 and at that kind of performance the turbo takes that little bit longer to spool up and you can feel it.

You also mention you are going to keep it for a few years and second to the old non pd 90bhp 1.9 the 130 pd 1.9 is probably the most proven and reliable form of the engine out there.

Despite what you might read in some quarters the PD engine is a great engine very torquey(sp?) and reliable (if well minded),the are no where near as economical as the older no PD TDIs though,on an old 90bhp golf you could easily drive for 60 miles on the red light reserve if taking it easy,with the PD engine you are going to be seeing mid 40's average.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

bazz26 wrote: »
    MkIV GTi had 150bhp and later a 180bhp version was available.

sound for that. 180bhp might be too much for me lol so I will look at the 150 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Onkle wrote: »
    oh come on.. you're a car enthusiast and male, don't call cars 'pretty' :D

Car enthusiasts do'nt drive golfs!

groupb wrote: »

drive what then? jap scrap?

groupb wrote: »

What a stupid statement!

Golf MK1 GTI
    Golf MK2 GTI
    Golf MK3 Vr6
    Golf MK4 R32
    Golf MK4 GTI anniversary edition.

In fact my definition of an enthusiasts car is a car loved by the few and underrated by the many.

Is your definition of a car enthusiast someone who hangs posters of gallardos on their wall and settles for an almera?

What a stupid statement!

Golf MK1 GTI
    Golf MK2 GTI
    Golf MK3 Vr6
    Golf MK4 R32
    Golf MK4 GTI anniversary edition.

In fact my definition of an enthusiasts car is a car loved by the few and underrated by the many.

Is your definition of a car enthusiast someone who hangs posters of gallardos on their wall and settles for an almera?

What about the 4motion?!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

:D:D:D:D:D One of these;
    CB4_1194602_5_666772.jpg
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9tdi-RS/1194602/

• Advertisement

What about the 4motion?!!:p

4motion boras are cool or so i believe :D

Advertisement