Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Wrestler'

• 09-09-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

I remember a thread here when this film was first announced and it sounded promising enough, but I wasn't expecting it to catch on the way that it seems to have done

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a film about a retired wrestler who comes back for one last fight even though it might kill him. Mickey Rourke plays the lead role and it's directed by Darren Aronofsky, famous for directing Requiem For A Dream and Pi. Bruce Springsteen wrote a song for it too

It won the top award at the Venice Film Festival at the weekend and it's been getting some very good reviews. It seems like it's got enough detail that a wrestling fan can identify with the stuff that goes on, but that it works well for a non-wrestling fan too

There's a good few wrestlers in the film. Ernest Miller plays a big part. There's a hardcore match with Necro Butcher in it. Ron Killings, John Zandig and The Blue Meanie are in it as well. There were a few scenes filmed at ROH shows, but I didn't think that the ROH logo would feature so prominently!

Good deal for ROH anyway

Here's a couple of typical reviews:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117938197.html?categoryid=31&cs=1
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film/reviews/article_display.jsp?&rid=11602&imw=Y

I've read some critics suggesting that it's an Oscar-worthy performance by Rourke. I'll be going out of my way to watch it for sure when I can

Comments

Is it out already, or just coming out soon?

*EDIT*

Never mind. 09 i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Jebus, how much work has Mickey Rourke had done to his face? :eek:

Heard good things about this film also. Profile of it on IMDB. Romeo of the Heart throbs is another wrestler who is in the film.
    The wrestler is the story of retired professional wrestler, Randy "The Ram" Robinson, making his way through the independent circuit, trying to get back in the game for one final showdown with his former rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Fozzy wrote: »
    Ron Killings, John Zandig and The Blue Meanie are in it as well.

"R-Truth" is only a bit player apparently, but I wonder if it will be mentioned on SM as if he's one of the stars, if Vince smells "Oscars" or even "Half decent movie", he might not be able to resist! Either way, I’ve sure he'll appreciate some indirect publicity, unless his takes the Beyond the Mat approach and thinks this movie shows wrestling in a bad or inaccurate light too, hopefully it does'nt though, i've always thought there's a good movie to made out there with a wrestlling story background (And i don't mean Ready to Rumble, Bodyslam or that Tag Team show Piper and Ventura did), that non wrestling fans would apprecaite and maybe make them see at some of the reason why us nutbags like it so much, so hopefully this is that movie.

Heard Nic Cage was offered the role first, was seen at a ROH show, glad he didn’t take it, might have been a whole different movie with him, Rourke would at least have a good start on the mindset of a fighter from his boxing days, and he certainly looks mental enough these days to play a wrestler (They should have let him basically play Marv from Sin City as the wrestler, that would have been hilarious), but definitely looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

D-FENS wrote: »
    i've always thought there's a good movie to made out there with a wrestlling story background (And i don't mean Ready to Rumble), that non wrestling fans would apprecaite and maybe make them see at some of the reason why us nutbags like it so much, so hopefully this is that movie.

Seems like someone has forgotten the awesome Nacho Libre!:D

Tauren wrote: »
    Seems like someone has forgotten the awesome Nacho Libre!:D

Lol, fair point, let me rephrase - a good movie with a wrestling story that people are meant to laugh at!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Jebus, how much work has Mickey Rourke had done to his face? :eek:

Heard good things about this film also. Profile of it on IMDB. Romeo of the Heart throbs is another wrestler who is in the film.

Why does a MAN need botox in his lips?!
    Not sure about the look of the film myself. Might pop along to it depending on the reviewsit gets at the time.

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Why does a MAN need botox in his lips?!

It's questionable wheither a woman should get it either, i've yet to see an example of one looking better after getting it done, but i think in Rourke's case he's just mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I thought O'Rourke got his face destroyed or something like that when he was younger, hence the reconstructive work and the botox

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I thought O'Rourke got his face destroyed or something like that when he was younger, hence the reconstructive work and the botox

Don't remember anything about that, think it was all down to choice, not thinking of Mark Hammill, or Ed Leslie are you? ;)

Did notice this on Wiki though, wonder if he'll put it to use on tv at some point...

Mickey has begun undergoing actual pro-wrestling training under WWE Hall of Famer Afa The Wild Samoan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its getting Oscar buzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Who's Oscar Buzz?
    :D

Source imdb
    Seemingly representing yet another case of life imitating art, Darren Aronofsky's drama The Wrestler, featuring Mickey Rourke as a washed-up professional wrestler trying for a comeback, won the top Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival over the weekend. Critics were saying the Rourke himself is likely to see his career take off again after giving a performance likely to earn him an Oscar nomination. Accepting the award, Aronofsky said, "We need to thank Mickey Rourke for opening up his heart and soul for the camera and reminding the world what a great talent he is." A festival rule prevents the actors in films that receive the Golden Lion from winning the best actor award.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Boy oh boy after reading all the insider details about the film in the Wrestling Observer today. It sounds like a must see for any wrestling fan as it is seems extremely faithful to every aspect of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I think Mickey Rourke's face issues are due to the fact that he used to be a pro boxer. He broke his nose and compressed his cheekbone. If their has been cosmetic surgery it is as a result of this. Amazing actor by the way. Check out Angel Heart, 9 and a half weeks or Sin City for proof.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/10/interview-darren-aronofsky-part-1/
    Darren Aronofsky, the director of the now critically acclaimed film "The Wrestler," recently spoke on the film, the idea for it, and what inspired him to make it. He said, "The Wrestler was my idea. When I graduated film school in ‘92/‘93, one day I wrote a list of ten ideas for films in my diary. And one of them was called The Wrestler. When The Fountain shut down the first time I started to think about it. I knew I wanted to do a wrestling picture. I teamed up my producer on this film, Scott Franklin, who was a wrestling fan, a bigger wrestling fan than me, and he loved the idea. He’s also a writer...I wasn’t a huge fan as a kid. I went to one match at Madison Square Garden with my best friend and my dad. I remember we all lost our voices from screaming so loud. Hulk Hogan was a bad guy and I remember Tony Atlas lifting up Hulk Hogan and dropping him on his balls on the top rope. We went crazy, it was great. I think I went to a couple of other little matches at veterans halls. So it was in my head a bit, but I was never a crazy fan." .................

Nothing really new but this film just seems to get better and better reviews. Dying to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I think Mickey Rourke's face issues are due to the fact that he used to be a pro boxer. He broke his nose and compressed his cheekbone. If their has been cosmetic surgery it is as a result of this. Amazing actor by the way. Check out Angel Heart, 9 and a half weeks or Sin City for proof.

ya your right

he had a big interview i think on bbc talking about hes past and hes face
    right good interview too

The Dark Side of Fame with Piers Morgan: Mickey Rourke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

friedlander_kayfabe1.jpg
    In other news I want that hat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm sort of looking forward to this but it looks like a Rocky clone. And I don't like CZW.

It's been screened at the London Film Festival.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/london-film-festival-2008/post.asp?id=307

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

30716.jpg

Poster for the movie has been released, I really like it,simple but effective

• Advertisement

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thewrestler/

Trailer for the movie released, cant ****ing wait to see this it looks great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

Does anyone have any idea when/if this is gonna be shown over here?

Is it gonna be one of those films that Uci wont show or show for a week and that's it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

jeffk wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when/if this is gonna be shown over here?

Is it gonna be one of those films that Uci wont show or show for a week and that's it?

Its out here on January 9th 2009. Its 109 minutes long, and I cant speak for UCI, but I know its in Cineworld, but cant imagine it will be there for long.

Its out here on January 9th 2009. Its 109 minutes long, and I cant speak for UCI, but I know its in Cineworld, but cant imagine it will be there for long.

Is it in a secret location?all i can find is its in Dublin :confused:

Cineworld? Its in Parnell Street (I think).

Cineworld? Its in Parnell Street (I think).

Ah right the ever changing cinema lol,cheers so expect to see wrestling fans en mass outside that in January

Dont think it'll be long going to dvd to be honest, small indie movies usually take 3 or 4 months to show up, although if the oscar buzz being generated gains momentum or if Rourke or the film itself are nominated then a proper release could see the light of day

krudler wrote: »
    Dont think it'll be long going to dvd to be honest, small indie movies usually take 3 or 4 months to show up, although if the oscar buzz being generated gains momentum or if Rourke or the film itself are nominated then a proper release could see the light of day

Thats why i was trying to gauge how big it could be.
    Does any remember if beyond the mat was shown over here?

Itll be at least 2 weeks in Cineworld, unless ticket sales are DIRE.

• Advertisement

Itll be at least 2 weeks in Cineworld, unless ticket sales are DIRE.

Ah cool two weeks is plenty time to get a date sorted :D
    Its with fox so id assume might get more of a chance to be shown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The Bruce Springsteen song for the movie (you can hear it on the trailor) has definitely Oscar nomination potential to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

film website here. http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thewrestler/

Im genuinely excited about this film!

Has anyone heard the Springsteen song for it?

rovert wrote: »
    Has anyone heard the Springsteen song for it?

Yeah, it sounds quite good. For anyone who hasn't heard it....

Seemingly the Irish release is now 16th January, and will be rated 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Yeah, it sounds quite good. For anyone who hasn't heard it....

I love that song.

Seemingly the Irish release is now 16th January, and will be rated 16.

Same date confirmed on the Cork cinemas website. Looking forward to it.

From a new interview with Director Darren Aronofsky:
    CR: Was there any specific inspiration for Mickey Rourke's character?

DA: His character is really an amalgamation of lots of different characters. The sad thing is the more of these guys we met, the more clichés we ran into, as so many of their lives ended up a similar way. Even the guys who kept it together and have a family, etc. -- they all had similar stories and all knew someone who was going through a similar thing and dealing with the physical damage that had been done to them. It was great; the other night, Rowdy Roddy Piper showed up at a screening and he loved it. He broke down and cried in Mickey's arms, so he was psyched that this story was finally told.

Full interview here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Apparently Roddy Piper saw this and started crying in Mickey Rourke's arms about how good it was..

If it's good enough for the Hotrod its good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

30868.jpg

The Wrestler (15)
    large_5.gif

• Cast
    • Mickey Rourke
    • Marisa Tomei
    • Evan Rachel Wood
    • Mark Margolis
    • Todd Barry.
    • Directors
    • Darren Aronofsky.
    • Screenwriters
    • Robert Siegel.
    • Running Time
    • 109 minutes

Plot
    Randy ‘The Ram’ Robinson (Rourke) is a professional wrestler whose glory days are long gone. Still working small-time, his body says: enough. He retires, finding love (with Tomei) and making peace with his alienated daughter (Wood). But is it all too late?

Review
    Professional wrestling, as everybody older than eight knows, is fake. It’s an inherently ridiculous activity: there’s no genuine competitive drive, the costumes are camp, glam-rock frightmares, the participants grunting behemoths who pretend to hit each other. It’s panto with added violence. It doesn’t even pretend to be a sport anymore: the phrase is ‘sports entertainment’. So how has Darren Aronofsky, perhaps looking for a change of pace after the compound tribulation that was The Fountain, drawn from this spangly milieu such a powerful, affecting drama? And how has his leading man, Mickey Rourke, finally thrown down a performance that could well mark a bona fide comeback, maybe even earn him an Oscar nomination? What do they think this is? A boxing movie?

Well, it isn’t quite a ‘wrestling’ movie, at least not in the sense of the antique B-genre that became a ripe gag in the Coen brothers’ Barton Fink. Instead, perhaps encouraged by Rourke’s own real-life boxing experience, we detect parallels between The Wrestler and those pugilistic pictures that please crowds and win awards — the hard-hitting sense of post-glory decline suggests De Niro’s Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull, while The Wrestler could also be described as a vastly improved version of the last Rocky movie in its portrayal of a likable schmo who’s both a flawed father and former champ, still trying to go the distance even though a very different kind of end is in sight.

Yet this is doing The Wrestler a gross injustice. Aronofsky, smart man that he is, realises that the dismissals of professional wrestling summed up above fail to recognise the artistry and athleticism of its participants. He also realises that such misconceptions about the profession make for excellent drama. Much like Barry Blaustein’s astonishing 2000 documentary Beyond The Mat (seek it out!), Aronofsky’s film contrasts the larger-than-life personalities in the ring — posturing gladiators who slam each other’s faces into the canvas, attack each other with staple-guns and hurl each other off ladders into plate glass — with the men behind the curtain: gentle, respectful, calmly talking with their opponents through each match’s ‘spots’ and plotting their way to the most satisfying outcome, before all pulling together for a group hug.

The ‘fake’ issue is swiftly dealt with. One wonderfully choreographed match reveals a familiar spot: while Ram, the blond-maned ‘face’ (good guy) is momentarily winded, his opponent, the ‘heel’, tears the padding off a corner and slams Ram’s face into the exposed post. There’s no real contact, but real blood is required. Thus, while the heel holds the crowd’s attention, a supposedly dazed Ram teases a concealed razorblade from his wrist-tape and discreetly slices a fine gash across his forehead. Rising up from the canvas, he wipes the blood over his face to finish the bout with a crimson battlemask. When Ram later unwinds with a private dance from his favourite stripper, Cassidy (Marisa Tomei), she spots the re-opening wound. “I thought wrestling was fake!” she gasps.

So, despite the bogus competitiveness, pro-wrestling takes a heavy toll on its participants — and certainly on Randy ‘The Ram’ Robinson. Just a few minutes tailing him, as Aronofsky does with a shaky, documentary-style hand-held that shifts from the glossy glides of Requiem For A Dream or The Fountain, it’s obvious that beneath those sculpted muscles tremble aching bones. Hunched, spent, half-deaf, every breath a laboured gasp, Rourke renders Randy as a man struggling to move his own considerable bulk around, psychological baggage and all. Steroids keep the physique piled on, but it’s willpower that propels the whole machine from match to match, whether it be a school-gym pick-up bout or cable-televised hardcore brawl.

Come the inevitable cardiac arrest, it’s payback time for more than two decades of intense physical self-abuse. And for what? A collage of wrestling mag cuts celebrating his golden age — when The Ram regularly traded blows with classic heel The Ayatollah (Ernest ‘The Cat’ Miller) — a scuffed Randy ‘The Ram’ action figure, a van he also calls home when he can’t make the rent for his New Jersey trailer, and a limp envelope of banknotes pressed into his palm after each bruising exertion. But such dubious assets concern him less than having the whoop of a crowd echoing in his ears as he rolls out his dive-from-the-top-rope trademark, The Ram Jam.
    Here pounds the heart of Aronofsky’s movie: what do you do when your body won’t let you do the only thing you know how to do, and when your entire identity is wrapped up in the career that you have to abandon? When The Ram takes a job on a supermarket deli counter, he’s distressed to find his name-badge reads ‘Robin’, his real name. “But my name’s Randy,” he mournfully mumbles.

Cassidy follows the same theme when she finds her fortysomething frame losing its curvy appeal for younger patrons — although, given she’s fleshed by the excellent Marisa Tomei, who’d raised eyebrows with her extended nude scenes in last year’s Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead (let’s just say she’s in good shape), this is the only point at which Aronofsky comes close to jostling the film’s sturdy realism.

Plot-wise, The Wrestler isn’t desperately original, and beneath all the blood, sweat and spandex lies a conventional drama, as easily applicable to the tale of an ex-con or a retired soldier as it is to an over-the-hill athlete. So we have last shots at redemption, attempts at familial reconciliation (Evan Rachel Wood essaying Randy’s Gothy daughter), the obligatory stab at ‘going straight’, and the ‘one, final job’.

Fortunately, Aronofsky is an unconventional enough filmmaker to skirt predictability, and accomplished enough to tame the notoriously difficult Mickey Rourke, directing him to the performance of his career. Given lines like, “I ain’t as pretty as I used to be,” it’s tempting to see this as the easiest performance of Rourke’s life, but that’s a mite uncharitable. Rourke clearly did a lot of training, all his own stunts, and is utterly convincing inside the ring. Aided by Aronofsky’s intimate approach, he ensures that Randy is a likable chump, whether he’s straining to understand a trailer-park kid’s breathless précis of Call Of Duty 4 or lamenting with Cassidy the death of proper ’80s rock, when “that pussy Cobain came along and ruined it all”.

Both Aronofsky and Rourke bring us so close to the character, it’s hardly surprising the film’s been accused of sentimentality, but mawkishness never seeps in: it’s emotionally raw, with a climax that should draw tears. Yet it’s not exactly a pure downer. There are light touches aplenty, provided by the inherently absurd nature of sports entertainment (during one match an amputee offers The Ram his prosthetic leg to beat his opponent with) and the zings of the script itself: after his heart op, Randy asks the doctor how it’s looking. “Better than before the bypass,” comes the dry reply. Strangely, this is the closest thing yet we’ve come to an Aronofsky comedy — close enough to suggest it’s a genre he’d do well at, if he were so inclined.

Verdict
    An emotional smackdown. Rourke’s never been better, and the change of pace and texture suits Aronofsky perfectly. The Raging Bull of wrestling movies? Oh, go on then.

Reviewer: Dan Jolin

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=135272
    Trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm really interested to see if this film will have any impact on ROH and/or Necro Butcher. The ROH website address is clearly visible in one of those photos

My head says that there'll be a very minimal increase in business for them. But my heart would like to think that this could be the best thing to ever happen ROH :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

sign in the crowd :D:D

the-wrestler-movie-2%5B1%5D_502.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm really interested to see if this film will have any impact on ROH and/or Necro Butcher. The ROH website address is clearly visible in one of those photos

My head says that there'll be a very minimal increase in business for them. But my heart would like to think that this could be the best thing to ever happen ROH :pac:

I think it will result in a visible increase. Their public image is so small that most people watching the movie will never have heard of them but their PPVs are cheap enough to encourage curiosity buys from people who enjoyed the movie. It could also respark interest of a lot of old fans who had given up because of the WWE's product who might be attracted to ROH's no nonsense stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

I cant wait to see this movie. Rourke look really suited to the part. Thank god Nicolas Cage turned it down!

Whiplash wrote: »
    I cant wait to see this movie. Rourke look really suited to the part. Thank god Nicolas Cage turned it down!

Why? Cage is a decent actor as well, Rourke does have more of a world weary look to him though, plus he's Marv:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Cage can act but he has the head of a ham, dunno just cant take him seriously,Rourke fits the bill perfectly

Mickey Rourke has been nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama for his portrayal of Randy "The Ram" Robinson in Darren Aronofsky's "The Wrestler." The film has received excellent reviews in its limited run.

Marisa Tomei was also nominated in her supporting role as "Cassidy," the stripper, and Bruce Springsteen received a nomination for Best Original Song for his tune "The Wrestler."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced their 2008 nominees this morning and, again, Mickey Rourke was nominated for Best Actor for his performance in "The Wrestler." Industry trade publications have been generating buzz that Rourke, long a punch line in Hollywood circles, has totally redeemed his career with this role and film and an Academy Award nomination seems a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Whiplash wrote: »

i think this movie needed a "smaller-known" actor to be honest.

I know personally if i would have read a thread title:
    "Nicolas Cage in The Wrestler". I probably would have thought something along the lines of ready to rumble 2!

• Advertisement
Advertisement