Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Wrestler'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

JP Liz wrote: »
    The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced their 2008 nominees this morning and, again, Mickey Rourke was nominated for Best Actor for his performance in "The Wrestler." Industry trade publications have been generating buzz that Rourke, long a punch line in Hollywood circles, has totally redeemed his career with this role and film and an Academy Award nomination seems a certainty.

Thats great knowing what the plot of the film is. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can't wait to see this. My only trouble will be finding somebody to go watch it with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

An Fhile wrote: »
    Can't wait to see this. My only trouble will be finding somebody to go watch it with me!

Just tell them it's up for a few Oscars, that'll sway 'em...

An Fhile wrote: »

Hmmm.... PW meet number 2? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Bull Buchanan

Hmmm.... PW meet number 2? ;)
    it cant be in dublin this one as well though! whos up for a boards trip to lovely cavan! ull never know unless ye go!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

it cant be in dublin this one as well though! whos up for a boards trip to lovely cavan! ull never know unless ye go!!!:D

Ive been to cavan "town" ballduff and virgina and ill say no more :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Bull Buchanan

jeffk wrote: »
    Ive been to cavan "town" ballduff and virgina and ill say no more :p

lol where are u from thats so great!?

edit:Oh post your reply in off topic banter cos we dont want to go off topic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

krudler wrote: »
    Why? Cage is a decent actor as well, Rourke does have more of a world weary look to him though, plus he's Marv:D

For me Cage is the second worst actor available for any role these days (Ben Affleck being first).

He has appeared and been good in some movies (Con Air, Adaptation) and I haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas but if he is in a movie I don't think even my love of wrestling could go get me to watch.

Rourke is, for me a forgotten man. Angel Heart is a fantastic movie and he is brilliant in it. His dalliance with boxing cost him his leading man roles but it may prove a blessing in disguise if The Wrestler can cement him as a character actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Great review in this months Empire. Set to be 'the film' of 2009. It's gonna be huge. And Oscar tips already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

This is out now in the usual places! Can't wait!

This is out now in the usual places! Can't wait!

As in the Uci?

No sorry, as in american cousins have it if ya catch my drift!

No sorry, as in american cousins have it if ya catch my drift!

Ah right its cool i done an ole google after your post anyways.
    I`d mark this down as a cinema must see(as in not illegally) so roll on some confirmation of cinemas showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Ah right its cool i done an ole google after your post anyways.
    I`d mark this down as a cinema must see(as in not illegally) so roll on some confirmation of cinemas showing it.

The IFI's got it listed for mid-January. They've had it listed for at least a month

Fozzy wrote: »
    The IFI's got it listed for mid-January. They've had it listed for at least a month

Even after a google i never heard of them lol.Im used to the 5 minute walk to the local uci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I am one hour into the film and I am finding it a bit slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

Even after a google i never heard of them lol.Im used to the 5 minute walk to the local uci
    The IFI...?

x_x

It was just ok (IMO)

Thought it was quite good. It was cool to see some familiar faces too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Seeing this later today. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Where are people watching this?

Thought it was a very good movie. It left me wanting more although the ending was so so .

Randy "The Ram" Robinson = Jake "The Snake" Roberts. That is what I thought after the film.

Yes to sars and where are people seeing this?
    Im thinking a new spoiler thread is needed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Just thought i'd point it for anyone who's closer to the North, that it's being shown up here from 16th january-29th in the QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I've just banned one user for a week for posting a link to a site to view this movie.

From here on in doing so will get you banned for one month.

Promotion or facilitation of illegal activities will not be tolerated on this forum.

Watched this last night. Good show. If this is accurate, the life of a washed up wrestler is a tough one.

And yes, Marisa Tomei is smoking hot :)

Im thinking a new spoiler thread is needed!!!

There is a thread in the film review forum

gimmick wrote: »
    There is a thread in the film review forum

Grand once people know that before they post anything storyline wise etc in this one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

necro butchers a sad case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

There are posters at the bus stops in Cork and elsewhere too i'd imagine, this is turning into quite a big film

My bro seen one coming through Finglas on a bustop to.

Theres a big enough interest in wrestling in Ireland per say.But would the average little johnny sit though this for say 2hrs without running a muk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From the sounds of it, non-wrestling fans will probably get more out of it than big time wrestling fans. Every review I have seen of it has been great but some wrestling fans opinions that I have read have been let down by the film.

Personally, I can't wait to see it.

From the sounds of it, non-wrestling fans will probably get more out of it than big time wrestling fans. Every review I have seen of it has been great but some wrestling fans opinions that I have read have been let down by the film.

Personally, I can't wait to see it.

Ah sure has there every been anything wrestling related that EVERY wrestling has agreed on lol.
    Me to i cant wait, I know it starts around the 16th do dying to see where and when its on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From what I have read, it seems that the film has less of an impact on some "internet wrestling fans" that have been exposed so much to wrestling and what goes on behind the curtain.

In comparison, every regular reviewer seems to be blown a way by it.

From what I have read, it seems that the film has less of an impact on some "internet wrestling fans" that have been exposed so much to wrestling and what goes on behind the curtain.

In comparison, every regular reviewer seems to be blown a way by it.

So back on with the when we where kids kayfabe blinkers and well have fun lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

http://blogs.three8six.com/jawbreaker/2008/12/wwes-response-to-the-wrestler.html
    WWE's response to "The Wrestler"

"While 'The Wrestler' is a very engaging movie, it portrays how wrestling was conducted in some independent wrestling circuits, unlike WWE, which is a global brand with millions of fans."

http://blogs.three8six.com/jawbreaker/2009/01/tna-wrestlings-response-to-the-wrestler.html
    TNA Wrestling's Response to "The Wrestler"

"We're happy to see professional wrestling in the mainstream spotlight through the movie 'The Wrestler.' Mickey Rourke's performance is nothing short of sensational; Mickey Rourke is the movie. His portrayal of an over-the-hill wrestler struggling to find his own meaning in life has already been talked about as Oscar-worthy, and rightfully so."

WWE did this before with beyond the mat. Why do we need Vinces approval for it anyway. We know its no "the Marine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just watched it. Amazing movie. Simply amazing. It will cater to non-wrestling fans also. It's more about one man's struggles than a pure wrestling movie. It's a film, a solid film. Rourke played the role perfectly.

• Advertisement

I love how WWE just uses its "response" as an excuse to gloat. :rolleyes:

See a poster for this in the drogheda omniplex and asked my good mate who works there will it be out and he said they wont have a clue for a week before the date.

But if drogheda gets it.... well thats something special. They hardly bother ever sending anything like that our way at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's a damn fine movie. As an occasional wrestling viewer the wrestling scenes were fairly well done I thought. The movie itself is a gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I find it funny how in some reviews by non-fans they think that the whole Necro Butcher match is fake in that nothing like that happens in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Randy "The Ram" Robinson = Jake "The Snake" Roberts. That is what I thought after the film.
    the ram is way more centered than roberts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

The premiere is on next Tuesday in Cineworld.

Tickets to it can be won at: http://movies.ie/html/article.aspx?articleid=3745

• Advertisement

JBL liked it:
    http://www.wrestlezone.com//article.php?articleid=233366628
    Raw superstar JBL has recently spoken out about "The Wrestler" on his WWE Universe blog. Interestingly, JBL appears to go against WWE's view of the film somewhat by saying, "I thought it was awesome and extremely well written. This was the business I broke into many years ago. However, that business has changed - and for the better. In the last six months, I have had MRIs, concussion tests, HIV test, trauma test, drug test and even my cholesterol tested - which was the only one I failed...This business in WWE is really a corporate environment these days - it has changed for the better. I am glad for my old days, I wouldn’t change a thing. But the WWE has done so much to clean up the abuse that the business as I knew it was so known for. All that being said, I loved the movie. Even with all the negative stereotypes in the movie, this was a part of what I did to get to WWE and it was fun to watch. A little scary to watch, but fun."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rourke sold.

Simple as that.

What a ****ing fantastic film.
    I loved every minute of it.
    There was a touch of Jake Roberts in it, in so far as the daughter thing.
    I also saw a bit of Terry Funk as he was portrayed in that other movie that I can't remember the name of.

It was a bit of a chick flick in places, but don't let that put you off watching it. It's a great date film because of that.

Quite sad throughout as you see The Ram trying to hold on to that little bit of fame that he once had. Still trying to get back to the big-time and wrecking himself along the way.

A few good insights into the seedier side too, with steroid and pain killer abuse.

The love story part doesn't ruin the film either. It's only a very small part of what is basically the story of one man struggling to get by in life. All he knows is wrestling, so everything else takes the back seat.

The scenes with the butcher were brilliant too. Really showed the nasty side of the indie circuit.

Got a laugh from the wrestling groupie scene too.

As for the "Rourke sold" comment, I didn't see a film about an actor portraying an wrestler.
    I saw a wrestler doing a documentary without knowing the cameras were there.
    He deserves any award he gets.

The ending was a bit of a **** though. Bastards.
    Although the more ~I think about it, the more I'm happy with it.

Also, Tomei has great boobies and Vince is probably spitting blood for greenlighting such crappy movies when there are script and actors out there who can make a movie like this.

Thanks for using the spoiler thing.

Dying to see this,but not sure if it will be the usual have to wait a few days to get a decent seat.hard to gauge how big this will be :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

I got my seat for the special showing on Tuesday.:D

I got my seat for the special showing on Tuesday.:D
    Ah yeh if your registered with some cinema im sure you can see it sooner.
    Fek it once i get to see it AND spoiler free im happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement