Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Wrestler'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

jeffk wrote: »
    Ah yeh if your registered with some cinema im sure you can see it sooner.
    Fek it once i get to see it AND spoiler free im happy

I wish I was registered......

I work there so, no problemo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

I wish I was registered......

I work there so, no problemo!

Youll tell me next your getting paid to see it lol

Youll tell me next your getting paid to see it lol

Well, practically :o.

Well, practically :o.

Good man blagging AND making a profit,youll go far in modern Ireland!!

Good man blagging AND making a profit,youll go far in modern Ireland!!

Well, Im not working Tuesday, but I don't have to pay to get in so, I guess im not getting paid to watch it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I saw a few people commenting on Rourke's role in Sin City.
    He's a completely different character in this.

Someone said he was underrated and I agree with them. He's brilliant in both.

There are very few films that I rant about and recommend to people (Big Lebowski, Fargo (even if my friends still give me grief over that one), Freeway II: Confessions of a trick baby), but this just kicks ass.

Rupert Murdoch may be a complete dick, but Fox searchlight know a good film when they see one.

Well, Im not working Tuesday, but I don't have to pay to get in so, I guess im not getting paid to watch it......

Ah sure your seeing it before most people in a cinema.
    Wonder will there be any random roh etc chants when its shown.I can see it now sorry lads no shouting in the cinema!!! while the mammies look down on said people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oh yeah, I also watched the film to see the cat dance.
    He didn't :(

Bruce Springsteen won his Golden Globe for the Song, but Marisa Tomei lost out.

Congrats to Mickey Rourke. Well deserved :D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Well Done The Boss and Rourke at the Golden Globes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Aye, well deserved indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seen it at the weekend thought it was really a good film.

Mickey Rourke was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Didn't think much of the movie myself but I guess I'd let myself get pulled in by the hype.

His character looks like Jerry Lynn and seems like Jake The Snakes story a little. Big in the 80's and now working small Indie shows and also having an estranged daughter that hates him..not exactly him but alot like his story only without the crack and murdered sister etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

seen it last week thought it was slow, predictable and boring. Mickey rourke was brilliant tho i will say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Yeah .... Mickey Rourke was good in it. SImilar enough to Rocky Balboa I thought. but with more boobs.

Just saw the premiere. Not as good as I had wanted it to be, but I had big expectations for it. It looked great on the big screen. Well worth seeing. I'll probably go to it again on Friday.

UCI have their times up for it.
    Interesting its only 20.30 a 21.30,normally a film starts with loads of showings and winds down to one or two.
    Unless someone got in a flap and its deemed it a adult or over 18 movie :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good aul' film. Slightly overrated, but not embarrassing like a wrestling film has such potential to be. Rourke is immense as well. He generates such sympathy and as I read earlier in the week he does a better impression of how a wrestler should carry himself than most guys on the indies and most TNA and WWE mid-carders ever have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good aul' film. Slightly overrated, but not embarrassing like a wrestling film has such potential to be. Rourke is immense as well. He generates such sympathy and as I read earlier in the week he does a better impression of how a wrestler should carry himself than most guys on the indies and most TNA and WWE mid-carders ever have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I watched this before christmas. I thought it was really good.
    Mickey plays the part well and there is some real good fighting scenes.Worth a watch anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rourke and Tomei carry what is at best a decent film to a good film. The depiction of wrestlers is very very true and fair but as a film it's a little lacking tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

I seen it about a week ago, with all the reviews by wrestling fans in mind. It is a very good film no doubt, but couldn't help feel it was a tad overrated, what with most wrestling fans w***king all over it saying "best film ever" etc. No, it's not the best film ever, but still very good.

Seen it last night and I loved it.One of those probably better if your not a fan or @ least not a old school 80`s fan into kayfabe etc.

BUT id recommend people go and see it for themselves because everyone's review/opinion has been different,so up to yourself to judge it.

It was a full house @ the 21.30 showing in uci blanch and i only heard one or two say it was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Great film but it just reinforces the notion that older wrestling fans are complete sad cases.

• Advertisement

Great film but it just reinforces the notion that older wrestling fans are complete sad cases.

Older wrestling Fans???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Older wrestling Fans???
    Like the people who went along to the fan meets and the small events in school sports halls just to meet 'Ram'.
    It all felt so desperately sad.

Like the people who went along to the fan meets and the small events in school sports halls just to meet 'Ram'.
    It all felt so desperately sad.

I wouldn't call that sad, more sad to see what the wrestlers had become than fans who still supported them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I wouldn't call that sad, more sad to see what the wrestlers had become than fans who still supported them.

Exactly...

Saw it last night.. Reminded me of the documentary, Beyond the Mat..(which is a must see).. I thought the carracter was loosly based on Jake "The Snake" Roberts, from what I remember from beyond the mat...(the drugs, his daughter etc..)

unklerosco wrote: »
    Exactly...

Saw it last night.. Reminded me of the documentary, Beyond the Mat..(which is a must see).. I thought the carracter was loosly based on Jake "The Snake" Roberts, from what I remember from beyond the mat...(the drugs, his daughter etc..)

Yup very similar to that and im sure there where plenty of wrestling characters used or alluded to.
    Best not go to much into it if anyone hasn't seen it by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Oscar nominations announced today, Mickey Rourke nominated for best actor in a leading role and Marisa Tomei for best actress in a supporting role.

No nomination for best song though, which is surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Outstanding film. Almost had tears in my eyes towards the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Oscar nominations announced today, Mickey Rourke nominated for best actor in a leading role and Marisa Tomei for best actress in a supporting role.

No nomination for best song though, which is surprising.

Bruce's snub is a shock and a disgrace :mad:

Well done Rourke and Tomei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .boards.ie

Great flick. Really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Seen it just now and loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Seen it last night in dundalk, because no where else was showing it!:mad:

One thing that slightly shocked me was that the screen was packed out, which i was not expecting.

It added to the effect in the scenes with necro butcher (especially the fork), when the audience seen it they had that great squirmy "Ewww" faces.

A few things i found funny about the movie was the fact Randy drives a Dodge RAM!(!) And how he utters "Brother" a lot. I liked that touch.

At the end i found myself questioning how much i really did like this film.
    It had great emotion, great feeling and really really good acting! But i got the impression before it even came out that this film was so good i would be anticipating the dvd just so i could sit down and nit pick at every little bit just so i could get such a better understanding of the film.
    But im not sure.

All in all it was a good film with stellar performances.

Also, very good roundtable discussion of the film here:
    http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/3164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

seen it and liked it did ram remind anyone else of raven especally in his latter days in tna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seen it last night in dundalk, because no where else was showing it!:mad:

One thing that slightly shocked me was that the screen was packed out, which i was not expecting.

It added to the effect in the scenes with necro butcher (especially the fork), when the audience seen it they had that great squirmy "Ewww" faces.

A few things i found funny about the movie was the fact Randy drives a Dodge RAM!(!) And how he utters "Brother" a lot. I liked that touch.

At the end i found myself questioning how much i really did like this film.
    It had great emotion, great feeling and really really good acting! But i got the impression before it even came out that this film was so good i would be anticipating the dvd just so i could sit down and nit pick at every little bit just so i could get such a better understanding of the film.
    But im not sure.

All in all it was a good film with stellar performances.

Also, very good roundtable discussion of the film here:
    http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/3164

Why did I know comicbookguy would do a write up like this :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Am i the only person who found this totally boring and unoriginal???? :o:mad::o:mad:
    Maybe its just after over 20 years of being a wrestling fan ive read and watched almost every half decent autobiography and dvd there is out there and thus none of this was "new" to me.

I was expecting a film that would captivate and move me but instead i found myself bored and waiting for the endcredits.

I just didnt enjoy this and found it to be very anti-climatic and obvious. i didnt feel anyway connected to the characters. Its alomst like Aronofsky was flicking through the channels one night, caught the 20 minutes of Beyond the Mat with Jake The Snake and said "i could stretch that to 100 minutes......" It had no pace throughout and just plodded along with no real build up to a finale.

Very very disappointing in my opinion.

3/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^^^ Not everything can be Bad Boys 2 I'm afraid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I loved the film. I didn't think I would because I had high expectations going in but the performances of Tomei and Rourke were stellar.

I loved how Aronovsky contrasted the ageing female stripper Tomei and Rourke the ageing wrestler, both at the end of their rope in terms of what they have been doing for the last 20 years as a job and how they handle it.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why did I know comicbookguy would do a write up like this :rolleyes:
    :confused:

Why did i know that you would probably say something criticising like this :rolleyes:....

I loved how Aronovsky contrasted the ageing female stripper Tomei and Rourke the ageing wrestler, both at the end of their rope in terms of what they have been doing for the last 20 years as a job and how they handle it.

Its a great comparison.
    The two of them have their own little "World", where they have somewhere to escape from the real world.

Rams world being unloving and hurtful but inside the ring he finds acceptance and a "family".
    (I'll probably need spoilers here...)
    But the strippers life is near secure, she has a kid, planning on moving to a new community and leave her old life behind. But inside the club its the total opposite.
    She has to seem interested in the customers because they're paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I went to see it on Thursday night and really enjoyed it. Rourke is absolutely outstanding in this film in every aspect of his performance. He had everything down, the look, the way he carried himself, and it's quite obvious he did a lot of wrestling training for the movie. Flawless!

I was very impressed with Tomei as well, and as someone pointed out already, her character provides great contrast to Rourke's. Also, she has nice boobies:p, very nice, i like!

In terms of the movie as a movie, I liked all aspects of this. If i was to have one criticism, it would be that the ending was a bit inconclusive - but the more i think about it, the more content i am about that. As a wrestling fan, i was a bit disapointed they did the necro butcher stuff because that's not wrestling and portrays wrestling quite poorly. From the perspective of the movie, I can understand why they did that and that it worked in the context of the movie.

I read an interview where Rourke said the look he went for was based on Lex Luger because he was one of the guys he remembered watching. He also said that when he looked up Luger on the internet, he was a bit shocked at how he ended up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

i'v just seen the movie. really enjoyed it. mickey did great acting. was sad to see the wayhim and his daughter didn't get on but they did for a while. can't wait for to come on dvd

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

An suprisingly very good movie I must say. Rourke's character was portrayed so so well. Like someone said it was all similar to Jake The Snake's character was my orginal thought like Beyond the Mat.

That Tomei chick did an excellent job too.

cena wrote: »
    i'v just seen the movie. really enjoyed it. mickey did great acting. was sad to see the wayhim and his daughter didn't get on but they did for a while. can't wait for to come on dvd

Speaking of the dvd, i wonder will they put in alternate endings to the film..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

hopefully they do put the different ending on the dvd. did ye think they could make a second flim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

DRakE wrote: »
    necro butchers a sad case
    He's not even my favourite necrobutcher
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrobutcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Speaking of the dvd, i wonder will they put in alternate endings to the film..

I'm hoping there'll be loads of extras. Aronofsky is a fan of the DVD format so I'm looking forward to lots of outakes and making of footage from the wrestling matches.
    julep wrote: »
    Rourke sold.

Simple as that.

What a ****ing fantastic film.
    I loved every minute of it.
    There was a touch of Jake Roberts in it, in so far as the daughter thing.
    I also saw a bit of Terry Funk as he was portrayed in that other movie that I can't remember the name of.

I definately agree with the Jake Roberts part. I went with my GF and I spent an hour after the film telling her all about Jake The Snake, or rather how he came across in that Beyond the Mat film.

I sort of agree with the Funk analogy - the bit after the Necrobutcher match when The Ram is having medical attention is almost identical to the scene in Beyond the Mat after Barely Legal (or was it Funk's "farewell" match at the 50Years of Funk with Bret Hart?) when he was being seen to.

I was expecting something more bitter from Vince and Co. tbh

The Wrestler's become a really big film and got great write ups and Vince had nothing to do with it.... That has got to be eating away at him!

I started to dislike the film at some point while watching it... when it was getting cliched and a bit cheesy but as soon as that final match started, when Sweet Child o Mine hit and then when he jumped off the top rope I was close to tears. Very very good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Was Rourke's "blading" in the first match legit ? It looked it but you could also do that with some make up and a prop fairly easy.

Advertisement