Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EB Learner Permit

Options
  • 09-09-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, quick question for those of you more experienced than myself.

I currently have a Learner Permit for B category (car) and have my fulll test next week. However my employer will pay for me to take the EB test if I inform them I have a learner permit in that category. Aplying to do this would greatly improve my chances of being kept on as I'm on a seasonal contract.

My question is this - can I apply for the EB Learner Permit before I pass the full test for cat B? Time is of the essence as I need to put my name down fast. I know that I won't be able to take the full EB test until I pass the B, obviously.

Advice appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    My question is this - can I apply for the EB Learner Permit before I pass the full test for cat B? Time is of the essence as I need to put my name down fast. I know that I won't be able to take the full EB test until I pass the B, obviously.

Advice appreciated :D
    No, you cannot obtain an EB Learner Permit until you have passed the B test.

(It's the same with any trailer category - you must first have a Driving Licence in the towing category. EDIT: except category W)).

Just for the record, (and you and your employer may not realise this) but you will be legally obliged to be accompanied by someone with an EB Driving Licence while on a public road and the accompanied person must have held that Licence for at least 2 years. As it will be your first EB Learner Permit, you will also be obliged to have held the Learner Permit for 6 months before doing an EB Driving Test.

EDIT: You will also be legally obliged to display 'L' plates while towing the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cheers WA, very informative.

I would be driving the vehicle in question (typically pickup w/flatbed trailer) on internal Airport roads, landside and airside (a seperate licence agan, issued internally) - I don't know do these classify as public or private roads, I should get that clarification from my empoyer but I have a strange feeling that nobody at all would be bothering to get the EB licence if they werent required.

So basically, balls. :P Maybe next year.

I would be driving the vehicle in question (typically pickup w/flatbed trailer) on internal Airport roads
    Methinks you will be on trolley duty! ;)

sdonn_1 wrote:
    I don't know do these classify as public or private roads
    AFAIK they would tecnically be 'private roads' (speed checks done by Airport police - not Gardai) but the DAA usually require standard public road licences (in addition to landside/airside permits).

EM tests are quite rare. Most people who have an EB either got it when it was given out automatically with a standard car licence, or, like me, got it by default when successful in a larger trailer category such as an artic truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Methinks you will be on trolley duty! ;)

Right in one - an ex-incumbent? Or just well informed? :p
    AFAIK they would tecnically be 'private roads' (speed checks done by Airport police - not Gardai)

I was always told it was the Gardaí, but have never seen them. Leaves a confusing pile of shíte regarding the classification of the road :pac:

Right in one - an ex-incumbent? Or just well informed? :p
    Just well informed!
    sdonn_1 wrote:
    I was always told it was the Gardaí, but have never seen them. Leaves a confusing pile of shíte regarding the classification of the road :pac:
    I've only ever seen AP doing speed checks there.

A public road is defined in law as a road which is maintained by a national or local authority. Since the airport roads are maintained by the DAA, they are, IMO, private roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

The roads airside are classed as public roads. If there is a serious accident the Gardai are involved. Every vehicle airside is insured aswell. (even dough the cert is not displayed)

steeo wrote: »
    The roads airside are classed as public roads
    I would argue that they are private roads which are accessed by the public. Look up the definition of a 'public road' in the Road Traffic Acts. If the roads in Dublin Airport were public roads, they would be maintained by Fingal county Council or the NRA but they are not - it is done by the DAA.

steeo wrote:
    If there is a serious accident the Gardai are involved.
    Of course they are after having been called by the Airport Police.

Many employers insists that the Gardai are called for all serious injuries that occur in the employer's private property.
    steeo wrote:
    Every vehicle airside is insured aswell. (even dough the cert is not displayed)
    Airport vehicles would have to be insured anyway and, regardless, many of them have to leave the airport occasionally and would therefore be legally required to have insurance. Presumably, the ones which do not have a disc displayed, do not leave the airport (i.e. are not used on 'public' roads.

Advertisement