Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tax relief on braces question

• 09-09-2008 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

I'm 24 living at home

could my father pay for my braces either in the republic or in northern ireland and claim 41 percent bk on tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Twiggy69

Possibly, if you still in full-time education. I'd get your Dad to check with his local Tax office. I'm having it done for my little guy, yes, I can claim @ 41%when I get the Med 2 form signed ON COMPLETION of the treatments. I have to pay the €4,500 up front first before I can claim back a penny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I have already asked the tax office myself, but while I await their reply, I figured I'd ask here too.

I'm getting orthodontic treatment (braces) in Newry. I'm paying for it myself. Does it qualify for tax relief, even though it's being done in Northern Ireland?

What about the PPS number section of the Med2 form - is that for my PPS or the ortho's? (I'm guessing he doesn't have one, since he's up North!).

I'd be claiming online, rather than filling out forms, but I want to make sure everything's in order before I do.

Any info on this would be great, particularly from anyone who's in my position and has successfully claimed tax back.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

I know you are entitled to claim tax back on qualifiying dental work done in the North - my sister did, and this would include braces. I presume the PPS no. is yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gina_d

Tax relief rules are changing in 2009. Will no longer be able to claim back 41% tax. Check with your tax office and look to pay as much before end of year as possible in order to claim maximum back.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Twiggy69

Just wondering does the work have to have started in 2008, or does any work in 2009 only be claimed at the lower rate???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Its whatever date thats on the reciept that will count, so pay as mucha s possible before the year end, in advance if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 agapanthus

Does not matter where the work was done once it was by suitably qualified person, I have recent claimed for work done in Canada. However only work paid for before end of 2008 will qualify at 41%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What's the rate changing to? Will you be able to claim any tax back from the treatments? I've decided to get them done at the start of the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Larianne wrote: »
    What's the rate changing to? Will you be able to claim any tax back from the treatments? I've decided to get them done at the start of the new year.
    If you get them done next year you'll get 20% tax back not 41%.

EDIT: Just paid up for all my treatment. No Xmas in the 1234567 house but at least I saved the 21%

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as above, assuming you currently pay higher rate of tax then you will lose the relief next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement