Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about feeding while dog home alone!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 7:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All,

We got this feeding bowl the other day. Basically its split into 4 sections. There is 4 separate timers, 1 for each section. You can record your vioce so that when one of the sections opens your voice comes on telling your dog to come and get their dinner. When we are in work during the day we have his dinner in one section and treats in the others. It just means that he is getting fed while we are gone. Its absolutely brilliant and was only €48. We had been looking for one for a while but they were all over €100. If any of you want to know where we got it let me no.

Thanks,
    Lorraine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Our dog gets a snack in the morning and a main meal in the evening. We'll usually give a treat when we get home. Why would you have to feed during the day unless it's a young pup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

Mine is a pup, he is 12 weeks so needs to get fed during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lenni wrote: »
    Mine is a pup, he is 12 weeks so needs to get fed during the day.

No offence ...but he needs to be supervised and trained and let out to toilet too. Got any gadgets for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

What sort of pup is it? I hope your feeder isn't going to turn into a really big treat toy :rolleyes:

How long is the pup on his own? I would try to get things back to you being the one bringing the food as soon as is realistic, it increases your value in the dogs eyes if they have to get their food from you. It's all very well as a stopgap, but I wouldn't continue it's use after it is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

peasant wrote: »
    No offence ...but he needs to be supervised and trained and let out to toilet too. Got any gadgets for that?

Do you think there is gadgets for that??? I dont mean to come across rude, but I post this message incase it would b of some help to people, Ive already got slated on this site about having my dog on his own during the day so I really dont wanna get into it again.

carwash_2006, thanks for the advise, he is a husky, and once he does not need his mid day feed I will stop feeding him via the feeder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

If this is the husky pup that is being left alone for 10 hrs a day.....

You really need to hire a dog walker. Before you got a husky, did you research exactly how to look after them? they aren't really like other dogs. They are working dogs bred to be capable of running for miles so I don't think a quick walk in the evening will cut it. They are also pack dogs (more so than other breeds) and are better off with another dog preferably another husky for company.

As he is alone for so long each day, when is he being given the opportunity to socialize, doing training with him etc? If you don't get him out and about mixing with all sorts of strange people and dogs you could have to deal with a lot of issues when he is older. Also, When he's older he will probably need about 2 hrs of exersize a day.

For now, as a puppy, he needs pretty much constant supervision to make sure he will be well trained, how is he going to be housetrained? pups really need to be let out every hour or so and after they wake up/have a meal/have a drink etc. If he gets into peeing in the house due to not being let out often enough it will become normal to him and a very hard habit to break.

Advertisement