Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Loss

• 09-09-2008 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey All,

Just thought I would start up a thread for weight loss. If there is one like this already posted then just ignore. I thought it would be a good idea for anyone who is trying to loose weight to mayb post once a week to say how you got on for that week. If you lost or put on, if you found anything really helpful, how you are feeling bout ur weight loss or gain.

I started ww a few weeks ago. In total I had 2 stone 9.5 to loose. I got weighed last week and in total now I have lost 9.5. Still a long way to go but Im getting there. Having a bad week this week, dont no why but I just wanna eat. I wanted to have lost my stone by next thursday but I dont think that will happen. If it doesnt, Ill aim for the following Thursday.

Let me no how your all getting on!

Lenni

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 catho9000

Are you doing any exercise? You should do some so that you maximise the effort..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

Hi,

To be honest Im not really doing any at the moment. I no its not a good reason but im up at 5.30 in the morning and not home till 5.30. I then collect my 2 yearold from Creche and her daddy doesnt b home till 7 and im just too tired. I get so little time with my dd during the week that if I wait till she goes to bed to do exercise your talking 8.30 r 9. Ill just have to give myself a kick up the ar*se and get moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi Lenni,

There's a Nutrition and Diet Forum that would probably be better suited to this thread. Also if you'd like to keep track of your own weight loss you could start a log in the Food Diary sub-forum of N & D. Best of luck!

Thanks for that G'em, Ill move the thread there now so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Don't worry, already done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Good thread Lenni!

I started Weight Watchers about 3 months ago and I've lost 23 pounds. I'm taking it slow because I enjoy myself a bit too much :o I haven't been in a few weeks now because I had a bit of a bad week and I couldn't face stepping on the scales! I know I should go every week regardless but I was being bold! I want to go back on track next week. Am going on holidays on 27th and would love to be down 2 stone by then (another 5lbs). I don't know if it's feasible as may be up from last weigh in but it's a good target. I find it easier to have short-term targets rather than long term as big figures can sound overwhelming!

Hi ibarelycare,

23 pounds in 3 months doesnt sound like taking things slow to me, that is brilliant. Fair play to u!!! Im like u, I no over all I want to loose another 2 stone but for now I am giving myself little targets. For instance I have 4.5 to go and then I will have lost my first stone. So I have set my target for when I want that 4.5 gone. I am havin a bad enough week, well its not even that is bad, its just not gr8. Havent been counting my points. I reckon I will stay the same this week so from there I will give myself 2 weeks to get to my stone. I have done WW a few times and whenever I have a bad week I wouldnt go and then I would end up dropping out altogether. This time I am doing it with my sister, she wont miss a class which means I cant miss one either cause she makes me feel really bad if I was to leave her on her own. So its working so much better for me to go with someone.

What day do you get weighed in?

I'm the same as you whereas I stop going for a week or two then stop going altogether! I really don't want this to happen this time though because I've been doing so well so I'm going to bite the bullet and go next week whether I've had a bad weekend or not! My bf and I are going for dinner on Saturday night with a couple of his friends so I'm planning on going for a really long swim on Saturday afternoon to cancel out some of that!

My weigh-in is Tuesday, when's yours? It is a good idea to go with someone else. My mam came with me at the start but she never really took it that seriously and then stopped going! However she's still very encouraging and always buys low fat stuff for the house.

Lenni wrote: »
    Hi ibarelycare,

23 pounds in 3 months doesnt sound like taking things slow to me, that is brilliant. Fair play to u!!! Im like u, I no over all I want to loose another 2 stone but for now I am giving myself little targets. For instance I have 4.5 to go and then I will have lost my first stone. So I have set my target for when I want that 4.5 gone. I am havin a bad enough week, well its not even that is bad, its just not gr8. Havent been counting my points. I reckon I will stay the same this week so from there I will give myself 2 weeks to get to my stone. I have done WW a few times and whenever I have a bad week I wouldnt go and then I would end up dropping out altogether. This time I am doing it with my sister, she wont miss a class which means I cant miss one either cause she makes me feel really bad if I was to leave her on her own. So its working so much better for me to go with someone.

What day do you get weighed in?

I just realised that what I said probably came across as extremely smug! Sorry! I see it as taking it slowly right now because I was losing 3-4 pounds in first few weeks now it's usually just a pound a week or so...which is still pretty good I guess! As long as it's a pound in the right direction I'm happy!

Its not smug at all... Your doin great. I find with other people that you loose so much and then just slow down. I have my weigh in tonite and I just no that if havent lost anything this week. Hopefully I havent put on though either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi guys I started counting ww points nearly 4 weeks ago. I doing it by myself at home as I've got all the books and stuff already. I have lost weight and put it on at least 3 times with weight watchers over the years.

This time though I'm really trying to make a go of it. My boyfriend is trying to loose weight too so I find that extra support fantastic. I only had about 16lbs to loose and in the last 3 weeks I've lost 4.5lbs. Im finding this week soooo tough though- have pigged out the last two evenings. I am an emotional eater and as my boyfriend is away I have nothing but my will power to stop me from eating all round me- and my will power seems to disappear come 9pm.

I find this forum excellent. I am a long time lurker of the food diaries but decided to eventually post as I'm worried I'm going to give up yet again. I know my goal weight is very close but I've gotten this close so many times before and give up. Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated

Best of luck tonight Lenni! Even if you haven't lost anything well that's still good, you haven't gone up. If you have gone up, it won't be by much and you can just work it off again for next week. And if you have gone down then that's brilliant!

Bally8 I used to be like you, comfort eating late in the evening. I've managed to grow out of that habit simply by keeping myself busy. You should try going out for a walk when you start feeling peckish. You'll feel so good after even a 20-minute brisk walk that you'll come home and not want to eat hopefully! I've taken up swimming and try go twice or 3 times a week after work and it's great. I don't get home until about 7.30 and because I'm having dinner late, I don't feel like reaching for the biscuit tin by 9 o'clock. If I am just sitting in front of the TV I have found that by going up to my room and watching TV there I am too lazy to go all the way downstairs for a snack so I just don't bother! If the fridge is in the next room it's just too tempting! You're doing really well though so keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

Hi,

Lenni 9.5lbs in a few weeks in extremely good. Everyone has bad days, just try not to let them go into weeks :) Thats how I finally got my head around dieting, I used to let one treat turn into a bad day.. and so on. Then I'd fail altogether. I decided to get my act together about 4.5 months ago and I joined the gym and started eating properly, I've lost approx. 49lbs and now I don't even feel like I'm on a "diet", this is how I eat now and I enjoy exercising(never thought I'd be saying that).

You mention you don't have alot of time for exercise? Which is understandable, but maybe try getting a stability ball for the house. I find mine great when I don't have time to go to the gym some nights.

Good luck :)

Hey all,

Just on the fitness part, have any of you tried the wee fit, if so do you find it any good. I have it at home but havent got around to using it, think i will start doing it at nite. Sillisome Fried do you have much left to loose, 49lbs is great.
    Bally8, I am like u, but I went and got some low fat icepops and ww bars and that. Also, try things like putting a melon in a smoothy maker and then putting it in an icecube tray, freeze it and then its something to pick at during the nite. I mixed melon and strawberries and it lovely. It feels like a proper treat. Also, this may sound sad but it works for me. My bf loves choc, and I have a 2 year old who I would have treats for so the draw in my fridge is full of choc and sweets. There is clear glass in the drawer so everytime i opened it i could see all the yummyness... now for the pathetic part, I put a piece of paper over it, its the exact size of the glass, wrote on it... DO NOT TOUCH, WEIGH IN ON THURSDAY, 2 STONE TO GO... HAVE WATER INSTEAD. now i never go for the water but i do stay away from the drawer...

The wii fit is probably better then no exercise if you can't make it to the gym or out for a walk but I doubt it would be enough on its own to make a big difference.

I have about a stone left to loose, my 21st is next month so I just hope I can look good in a dress :) I'm not too bothered about what I weigh, more how I look and feel. Ideally I'd just like to get down to a 10-12, as I think that would be considered slim for me as I'm 5'8. I don't want to take it too far though!

I know how you feel about seeing all the treats, I have two younger sisters and my mam has an awful sweet tooth.. on top of that they can all eat anything they want and stay slim!When I first started the diet I used to treat myself to Frusi's, theres about 110 calories in a pot, or I'd have a scoop of frozen yoghurt. The melon sounds great too, I might try it.

Hi,

Lenni 9.5lbs in a few weeks in extremely good. Everyone has bad days, just try not to let them go into weeks :) Thats how I finally got my head around dieting, I used to let one treat turn into a bad day.. and so on. Then I'd fail altogether. I decided to get my act together about 4.5 months ago and I joined the gym and started eating properly, I've lost approx. 49lbs and now I don't even feel like I'm on a "diet", this is how I eat now and I enjoy exercising(never thought I'd be saying that).

You mention you don't have alot of time for exercise? Which is understandable, but maybe try getting a stability ball for the house. I find mine great when I don't have time to go to the gym some nights.

Good luck :)

Your weight loss is so impressive after such a short space of time! Amazing! What size were you when you started out if you don't mind me asking?

I agree with you that it stops seeming like you're on a diet. When I first started WW it felt like I was obsessed with food and was thinking about it constantly....what food I could eat, how many points were in everything, etc. But it does really become a way of life. I must admit I am a bit more relaxed now than I was at the start but that's because my appetite has gone down so much. Fair play to you for all that exercise! I still think exercise is the work of the devil :D I was doing loads of walking at the start but unfortunately I am currently seeing a physio for tendonitis in my knee so am not supposed to be doing any brisk walking. The only exercise I do is swimming (and shopping!) but I do find it great.

Hi ibarelycare!

I was about a size 18 before, but some things were a 20... when I think about it I can't believe I let myself get there! I'm now a 14 in most shops.. but as I'm sure you know shops such as H&M, Miss Selfridge etc are ridiculously small when it comes to jeans, fitted tops.. I don't understand why they make their customers feel bigger then they are. I know they're made cheaply but I have size 10 friends who need a 14 there.

You say you were obsessed with food a little at the start, I still am a tiny bit.. I know the calorie content in nearly every food. But if thats what it takes to stop me from eating junk then so be it. Thats a pity about the physio but hopefully it won't be long before you're back walking :)

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions for keeping motivated. I really think going upstairs in the evenings is a great suggestion and will really help. I'm sure the distance between my room and the kitchen will be enough to stop me pigging out in the evenings. I also love the idea of writing a note on the sweet tin. I have a 9 year old daughter and keep some sweets in the house for her and this week it has been my downfall- raiding her sweets at 10pm! I'm definately going to put a note to myself on the door of the press maybe and see if it helps.

I managed to get back on track on Thursday and I am sooo proud of myself cos many times when I over eat I give up totally. Weigh in on Monday- hopefully I will have lost a pound- I've been doing alot of running this week.
    Good luck everybody

Bally8 good luck with your weigh-in today! I'm going to my first weigh-in tomorrow in 3 weeks :o I've been keeping an eye on my weight though. Was so good the past week but went for an Indian on Saturday night (worst food I could have eaten!) and had a few too many glasses of wine so think I could have ruined it a bit! I'll be happy to have maintained my weight from my last class, but I won't be surprised if I'm up a pound. Any more than that and I'll be quite disappointed.

So I stayed the same - nothing lost but I suppose that also means nothing gained from my few days of over eating. I am disappointed though as I got 6 exercise sessions in last week and thought that they would over ride any damage from my pigging out. I heard somewhere that weight loss is 70% diet and 30% exercise so last week proved that for me.

So I'm totally back on track now and hopefully will be down a lb next week. (Although I am going out Fri and Sat night and going to a party for my Dads birthday on Sunday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭marinchik

Hi all,

I thought I'd chip in my 2 cent.
    Bally8 you right it is a bit disapointing not loosing any weight, but hey its better to stay at the same weight rather than put some of it on.

I started last September and managed to loose 2.5st since then, I'd loose say 10 pounds and then keep it for another month or 2 thats why it took me that long. I went from size 16 (14.2st) down to size 14 (11.9st). I have another 2st to go and aiming to reach my goal by February.
    My motivation is that I don't have to wear baggy tops anymore to hide my muffin top:), can exercise for an hour and not to be exhausted, got recently asked for age card and I'll be 28 in December.
    Currently I'm trying low carb and hign protein approach and it works for me, not missing bread, rice or pasta or even fruit.
    Was thinking to join WW for more motivation too

Good Luck to all of us:)

hey all,

Havent been on in a few days. you all sound like your doing really well. I went last thursday for my weigh in and was up a half pound, to be honest i was surprised, I wasnt actually that bad. But a lot has been going on the past week and i have totally lost it, I am eating rings around myself. Its disasterous... I need to get back on the diet...

Lenni that's a pity but half a pound isn't much so keep your chin up. (sorry patronising blah!!) If you're eating rings around yourself don't think "Right I'll go back on the wagon in the morning"....do it now! I know you have your weigh-in tomorrow night but even if you're thinking you don't want to face the possibilty of being up again, it's worth going for the motivation of your leader and your meeting. I made that mistake of not going for a week then one week turns into 3!

Last night was my first weigh-in in 3 weeks and I stayed the same. I wasn't disappointed as was kind of expecting it so just need to get my ar*e into gear again! The only thing is I'm going back to college by night next week. I'll be going Tues & Wed evenings so will no longer be able to go to my normal meetings :( I've found a new class near where I work on a Thursday but I'm really disappointed that I have to change leaders, as I just love mine. Anyone go to a class in Castleknock? I hope the leader is good!

Also I'm going on holidays in a week & a half. Going to Puerto Rico for a week with my boyfriend and I just know I'll be enjoying myself too much! I'm definitely going to eat healthily during the day (don't eat much in the heat anyway) and swim and walk as much as I can, but I'll be boozing every day and eating out most nights so I can't see that being great for my waistline :D

I'm also worried about going back to college. I only started WW after finishing up college at the start of the summer so I had my evenings free to go swimming, have healthy dinners, etc. Now twice a week I'm leaving work at 5.30 and start college at 6. Before, on a Tues & Wed I used to have a dinner at lunchtime because I don't get home til after 10pm but I used to eat sh*t...pub grub, McD's, etc. I obviously don't want to get back into this routine but I need to think of something that will keep me going for 9 hours! We get a break in college but at that time, the canteen is closed and they only have chocolate, crisps and pre-packed sandwiches (which I don't eat anyway). So I'm just kinda stressed about having to think of ways to keep myself going from 7am to 10pm without resorting to quick and easy crap food! Also, I won't get to exercise as much at all. The evenings I'm not at college I'm usually wrecked from being in college so I'm not going to be motivated but I'll have to try and change this.

So sorry for essay!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

i started back on ww yesterday , i did celebrity slim and lost 20 lbs in 10 days but i realise it aint a good thing to be on , it was merely a kickstart

if you lose 2lbs and put on 2lbs u say ahh its just 2lbs ( well thats what i used to say ) but if i put on 20lbs id be so so so livid , so im determined to keep it off

anyway i have a cupboard full of food at home and i spent an hour labelling stuff , got a roll of labels and put it on everything , so when i go to press i dont have to total it up , also i have tub-a-ware and put 100g fruselli pasta into it and label 4 points , bout size of cup , so i have 3 or 4 of them filled with pasta and its easy when i go to press i say pasta ok 4 and sauce 4.5 and chicken fillets 2.5 each etc

at the moment im trying to have similar breaky snacks and dinner so in the evening i have a set amount each day to have a meal

8am : 2 weetabix skimmed milk
    11am : apple
    1pm : 2 Brown Bread , ham , Turkey , Small Coleslaw ( not everday )
    3pm : apple or Nuts

so lets say that totals 20 points ( im allowed 36 )

i have 16 every evening for meal etc

well thats what im trying to do

Weigh in today- down 2lbs! Im delighted as I took the weekend off from counting points and went kind of mad. But I did sooo much exercise again last week and stuck to my points Monday to Friday.

How is everyone else doing?

Hi guys- how is everyone doing?

My weigh in today was good again- 1.5lbs down but I cant take the credit for it though- had the worst flu ever all last week so couldnt eat much.

Back on track today with diet and will ease myself back into exercise with a walk tomorrow I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beansprout

Hey Ladies ,

Really hope someone can help!!! Ive been reading your threads and oh my god fair play to all of ye. Doing very well with weight loss. basically im one of these people who is always talking about loosin weight but can never do it. ive joiined ww 3 times so i have all the books and that .. but just never stick it out think the most ive lost is 7lbs.

Im 24 , 5ft7 and i think i weight 11st 7 ish... im that peed off about it i wont go on the scales... i basically only have weight on my tummy and "handles"...

ive never been scrawny but ive always been about 10stone and was happy at that.. im soo paranoid and have no confidence.. :( i used to have buckets of it and i was such a diff person , now im just paranoid all the time that oh dont wear that ill look massive etc..

I bought a cross trainer a few weeks ago and i go on it maybe twice a week? i only do 15 mins and i go about 4.8km?? is that good ??

I really just need a kick in the ass and i just cant seem to give it to myself and im soo unhappy is unreal. im lettin it get in the way of my relationship bla bla...

i work really shiet hours so its hard for a routine , i work 6 am shifts and then i work 2pm shifts and then nights as well all muddled up ..

really need some of yere advice and help x

Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonna hop in here, currently trying to lose quite a bit of weight. Have lost 19lbs since mid-July, I quit wasting my time playing MMOs all the time and sorted out my diet and started running. I've still got quite a bit to go though. I'm 13st 6lbs at the moment and a size 16, I am a 5'6" 24 year old woman. Trying to get down to 10st 7lbs, and hopefully to be able to fit into a size 12 dress for my graduation in December 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭LorDar

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum, Joined Weightwatchers yesterday (for the 3rd time!) and am really determined to stick with it now - reading all your posts has made me even more so!

I first started WW 4 years ago & lost 2 stone, then I had my first son & I wasn't long back at it when I got pregnant on my 2nd son!
    Now I'm determined to continue what I started 4 years ago! And no more babies (for a few years anyway!)

I am glad that I did lose that 2 stone back in 2004 as I am now only(!) 7lbs heavier than when I was at my lowest weight - I could be 2stone 7lb heavier now!

I am looking forward to keeping in touch to see how you all are doing & keeping motivated with you!!

• Advertisement

Hi Beansprout, Rainbow Kirby and LorDar. Welcome to the thread. I have found it very motivating so I hope ye will too. Its been a bit quite around here recently though- Im not sure how everyone else is getting on.

Well done on the decision to try to loose weight and improve fitness. I have been on my latest fitness kick since mid- August and have been doing well so far. I find boards very helpful. I have lost 9 lbs so far and have 8 left to go to get to my goal weight.

This week I have lost another pound but that is not down to hard work- I had the flu and a stomach bug so couldnt eat much. Had a bad day today- decided against a walk and went to shop and bought 3 bars of chocolate instead!!! Disaster.

Oh well I'll just have to start back tomorrow.

Advertisement