Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless!!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

OK.I will try and keep this as short as possible.
    I recently got wirelss b/b from Digiweb with the intentions of using it as my VOIP.They supplied me with a router (Dovado) and a pcmia card.I got rid of my landline but after doing a network test with Bluface this is what they told me:

"Based on your result :

Red Line = Packet loss - It will cause words to drop or even sentences to go missing on higher packet loss.

Pink Line = Jitter - It will cause call chop and garbled audio.

Downstream = What you hear

Upstream = What other person hears.

Your downstream has got lot of packet loss and jitter going over 150ms threshold. Your upstream is fine with no issue.

Switch off your computer and then make few calls at 9am, 3pm and 9pm and note the difference, if the quality improves, then you might have to look at your computer as some applications might be draining your bandwidth required for voip or the bandwidth is no enough to support both computer and voip at same time. But if the quality remains the same with computer switched off at all 3 times, then talk to your broadband provider and ask them nicely if they can switch you to a different node with less traffic and contention."
    The sound qaulity of the voip does not improve when computers are off

I then rang Digiweb and was told there is not a whole we can do.Wireless works on radio waves like a mobile sometimes its good,sometimes its bad :(

Now is there any way of boosting my wireless signal ie via an antenna on my roof running into my pcmia card(??) or is there a better service out there.
    I need the pcmia card plugged into the router as the laptop doesnt have a slot for the card.
    BTW I am in North County Dublin (ie just south of Balbriggan)

Or do I have to get my landline back **shivers at the thought**

Thanks

Advertisement