Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braces

• 09-09-2008 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

Well I've just got braces on at the ripe old age of 26.... This now means that for a few weeks I can only eat soft(ish) food.

I have been living pretty much on soup and yoghurts, for dinner I've made a shephards pie and a lasagne which were fine.

Anyone have any ideas for tasty soft baby-food dinners??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Lentils and sausages.

Get 250g puy lentils, 2 red peppers, 6 large sausages (with lots of herbs - best is Toulouse sausages, 300ml vegetable stock (or 150 veg stock, 100 red wine), 1 onion (finely chopped), 1 clove garlic, salt, pepper (fresh herbs [thyme, rosemary, bay leaf optional].

In a cast-iron casserole (or nearest), put some oil, heat and brown the sausages. Take them out, reduce heat, put in a little more oil and fry the onions and garlic until translucent and soft. Add thickly sliced red peppers and fry a little longer.

Add the stock/wine, pour in lentils, stir and then add the sausages, salt, pepper to taste.

Cover and put on high simmer for 10-15 mins, then on a low heat for a further 30 minutes at least. Longer is better. Top up lentils with water to just about cover if you notice it boiling off. Stir now and then.

By the end, you should have lovely soft lentils, infused with the flavour of the sausages and red peppers. Dump on a plate and eat with nice, crusty bread.

Another babyfood dish: celerac soup.

Get half a large celeriac, and one large potato. Chop into chunks. Put in a pot, cover with chicken stock, bring to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes until soft.

After 10 minutes, put it in a food processor or mash it up with a hand-held processor until smooth (celerac can be a little fibrous, the starchy potato helps to smooth things out - be sure to slightly undercook the celerac so you don't lose the flavour as it continues to cook). Add some more warm stock until you get the viscosity you're happy with, continuing to process further until smooth.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and a few chunks of butter if you want a luxurious, rich taste (it really helps intensify the flavour of the celeriac). You can serve then, or keep it over a low heat to let the flavours intensify.

If you do it right, it's a very, very tasty soup. You can also add salty bacon stock to add an extra depth.

Advertisement