Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orthodontist & Dental Surgeon Advice Needed

• 09-09-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi there,

I need to get some dental surgery work done as I need 2 baby teeth removed (am in my 20's!) and the secondary teeth exposed in the gums in order for them to come down - I'll then need braces. I've been referred to an Orthodontist in Blackrock and a Dental Surgeon in Ranelagh and have been to see both, however I'm not sure whether to just go with these or get 2nd opinions etc? I could have the work done straight away if I go with the referrals.

I'm not sure if I can name the orthodontist here but if anyone has had any experiences with Orthodontists, Dental Surgeons in these areas could they please let me know how they got on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Anyone?!!

The Orthodontist I've been referred to is Niall Le Masney in Blackrock. He also referred me to Frank Brady Maxillofacial Surgeon in Northbrook Clinic. Has anyone had any dental work done by either? I'd really like to hear peoples' experiences if possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi,

I have no idea what they are like but basically I had both braces and orthdontic surgery...I had a overbite in my jaw which only the dentists could spot (hence their qualification) and so after being told that it may cause artheritis I decided to have it done. Was a serious operation..took 5 hours...then 8 weeks of liquid meals and my mouth/jaw being held together by elastic bands. The broke my jaw and put steel plates in it to hold it in place while the new bone formed.

My orthdontist was in Naas and surgeon was Dr Brady in the Blackrock Clinic. Both were very good. I suggest that if your teeth are bad and you can afford it, you should go for it.

I won't lie to you and say mine was all easy... I was in alot of pain and was so frustrated and down for that 8 weeks but afterwards and looking back now (24 now...had it when i was 18) it was worth it.

You just have to decide if your surgery and braces are worth it but if its annoying you there is no reason not too.

Just my 2cents.

Let me know how you get on either way.
    Cheers,
    Ed

Hi, thanks a mill for the response. I am going ahead with it anyway, should have done it years ago but nothing I can do about that now. Booked in for surgery next week, hopefully braces will be on by Christmas if all goes to plan.

Am worried about the surgery and the pain etc but as you say it'll be worth it in the end...and eh, liquid diet for a few weeks will save me having to go to the gym - every cloud has a silver lining and that ;)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

no prob mate....obv the surgery will be sore and stuff but in a few years you'll look back and be delighted you did it. i would of been like you and put it off but when they said arthrithis and weekly jaw injections it made my mind up for me...feel free to pm me anytime about it.

Good luck again

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

I dont have experience of these dentists but this is exactly what i got done about 8 years ago. I had part of the roof of my mouth cut away to let a tooth come down. I also had to get another tooth out to make room.

It was done under general anasthetic, I cant say it was that painful afterwards just tender and a bit gross cos you have stitches in your mouth. had a bad reaction to the anasthetic but Im sure thats just me.

All in, I had braces/retainers for 7 years but perfectly straight teeth now :-)

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lisa22

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if any1 cud recommend a good(&cheap) orthodontist up north-im 22 and planning on gettin a little remodelling :) done on my top teeth, shudda gotten it done years ago but decided to take the plunge now, wud b delighted if sum1 had ne ideas...

Thanks

Lisa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Missyu

Has anyone heard of a clinic on Molesworth St? I heard of someone being quoted €700 for top braces and €80 for every tightening. I'm about to get braces with Tony Coughlan and have been quoted €5300. I chose him because I heard about him but if people have positives for Molesworth I'd love to hear it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

EJD wrote: »
    Anyone?!!

The Orthodontist I've been referred to is Niall Le Masney in Blackrock. He also referred me to Frank Brady Maxillofacial Surgeon in Northbrook Clinic. Has anyone had any dental work done by either? I'd really like to hear peoples' experiences if possible....

Dr Brady is very well regarded. A lot of people I know have been referred to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Hi,

I've been quoted €5500 (Dublin area) to get a top tooth straightened and the bottom teeth moved slightly to allow them to fit together. Does this sound expensive? Does anybody have any experience of having orthodontic work done up north?

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi just a quick update, got the work done, like a previous poster I had to get 2 teeth extracted and then sections of gum removed to expose secondary teeth, done under general anaesthetic so didn't feel a thing. Pain afterwards not bad at all.

Hopefully getting braces on end of next month if teeth come down properly. Dr Frank Brady was lovely, got appointments really quick etc.

Will be paying €4,900 for braces top & bottom with Orthodontist, expected to take around 2 years in total, price will cover all appointments; tightening, replacements etc over the 2 years and for anything required the during the year after.

If anyone needs any further info feel free to PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Missyu

Arrrggghhhh!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm an actress whose been booked for a gig the day after I get my braces on. While there's no probs with the visual of the braces, they're worried that I won't be able to enunciate. While I'm prepared for the pain on the following day, I thought I'd be able to speak!

Can anyone give me some feedback on how they spoke the day after the braces went on...

I never thought I'd ever ask that question...

Advertisement