Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dedicated depression/anxiety/mental health forum?

• 09-09-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

just looking down this forum, i notice most of the post titles are depression/anxiety/mental health related.
    Would it be a good idea to have a dedicated forum/subforum dedicated to such an area?

I mean a lot of people would probably never think to look in long term illness as a place to find information on depression, anxiety, panic, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

In theory, yes it is a good idea but it probably wouldn't go ahead because of the whole medical advice issue. I understand what you man though, it'd be nice for people to have somewhere to share experiences etc Then again alot of the threads in PI are about depression where people can post anonymously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Then again alot of the threads in PI are about depression where people can post anonymously.
    you see that's kind of my point. I wouldn't dream of asking about depression in a Personal Issues forum, because real depression is not just a 'personal issue'. It's a proper illness.

I wouldn't go to personal issues to post about pneumonia would I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

we did discuss this a while back but it kinda fizzled out. I take your point, we probably should rename the forum, but not sure what to rename it to. The forum is for the discussion of issues arising from living with any long term medical condition, and the new name should reflect both the long term bit and the medical condition bit, but without sounding so....sterile. Any ideas welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

jtsuited wrote: »
    you see that's kind of my point. I wouldn't dream of asking about depression in a Personal Issues forum, because real depression is not just a 'personal issue'. It's a proper illness.

I wouldn't go to personal issues to post about pneumonia would I?

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you. I could just see a lot of the threads getting locked because of people offering advice and stuff.

I didn't actually realise until today when I saw the sticky that you can post anonymously here!

it is hard to know what to call the forum, I thought it had actually disappeared for a while because it wasn't a sub of Bio&Med

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Long term illness as a sub category (Parent - No Posting)

Sub Forum 1 -> Long term illness ( or other name )
    Subforum 2 -> Depression/Anxiety

so

Long Term Illness
    > Long Term Illness
    > Depression/Anxiety

The forum names could do with a tweak, however the ethos of "no medical advice" would be preserved by keeping the forums grouped together and with a common mod team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement