Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

An ode to the e46 m3, having your cake and eating it!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭

I have had this car since February now, and road tax cost aside i cannot think of a reason not to own one, and i think if i change this i will just get a newer one with some more kit.

without a doubt this car offers to best of every world to someone who doesn't need 4 doors. Skull crushing acceleration, nice handling, capable track car if thats your bag (not mine to be fair :) ), understated (in my opinion) looks yet still aggressive, lovely interior which has stood the test of time well and imo is better laid out than the new 3 and new 5 series.

And the best bit, i had a wedding this weekend in clare, i covered about 400 miles and according to the trip computer i averaged 30mpg (mostly motorway cruising at 80mph but some twisties aswell) granted i had the missus with me and apart from a few bursts of acceleration (which knocked my garming friction mount thingy into her lap :p) it was pretty relaxed driving.

so basically i cannot think of a reason not to own one:o

just thought id share that :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sounds good! How many miles are on your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Without a doubt they are a fantastic motor, and there is some (relatively) good value out there if looking to pick one up. I suppose my only comments would be that the type of driving that you achieved 30mpg is probably not representative of most peoples usual driving, so really I'd imagine low 20's is probably the norm. Also as you allude to yourself, probably not ideal for a family other than if the kids are very young or you have a more practical second motor.

I'd also like to think that the running costs may keep them reasonably rare on the roads, altho unfortunately they are becoming a bit more common out there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds good. Happy motoring Cyrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There are now just over 51,000 miles on my car.

Baz, i do think servicing costs will keep ownership limited enough, this isnt a cheap car to maintain, tyres, oil, servicing, all more expensive than most people can stomach. it worth it to me tho.

i know the 30mpg isnt at all representative, but on a relaxed cross country cruise on motorways it is pretty impressive for a car like this. normal mpg would be 23-25 with a mix of 'spirited' driving and cruising.

here she is:

DSC01215.jpg

It will hopefully be my next car :D

Well wear. Have you done any messing about with the DSC turned off?

Edit: that is a nice example in the photo. I'm loving those rims.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    It will hopefully be my next car :D

Well wear. Have you done any messing about with the DSC turned off?

Edit: that is a nice example in the photo. I'm loving those rims.

some good value now, altho ironically you are better off buying in ireland rather than importing as the vrt is prohibitive now!!

No non dsc messing done yet, maybe one day, ive heard its an animal with it off and easy to catch you out.

the wheels are genuine m3 csl wheels, lighter than the stock 19s and look better too :) thats my car in the pic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

TheBazman wrote: »
    altho unfortunately they are becoming a bit more common out there

Still doesn't affect the driving pleasure derived by the individual behind the wheel does it?

Without a doubt they are a fantastic motor, and there is some (relatively) good value out there if looking to pick one up. I suppose my only comments would be that the type of driving that you achieved 30mpg is probably not representative of most peoples usual driving, so really I'd imagine low 20's is probably the norm. Also as you allude to yourself, probably not ideal for a family other than if the kids are very young or you have a more practical second motor.

I'd also like to think that the running costs may keep them reasonably rare on the roads, altho unfortunately they are becoming a bit more common out there

to be fair aswell baz, even the e36 m3s havent really fell into the 'wrong' sort of hands, there are plenty of e36 and indeed e46 coupes tarted up and made look like dogs dinners but very few ms, you still see a lot of really well maintained e36 m3s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Still doesn't affect the driving pleasure derived by the individual behind the wheel does it?

Absolutely not - dont get me wrong, I am a huge fan. A mate had one in the UK and loved it.

I also agree that the older models are fairly uncommon, especially tarted ones. Hopefully the e46 will be the same in the years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheers to the happy owner :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Cheers to the happy owner :D

cheers back :o

Any big bills so far or on the horizon?

well insp 2 service cost me about 1,100, from a trusted independent garage, including an uprated diff oil.

tyres are a fortune if you stick with michelin ps2s.

apart from that nothing i havent expected...yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Cyrus wrote: »
    I have had this car since February now, and road tax cost aside i cannot think of a reason not to own one, and i think if i change this i will just get a newer one with some more kit.

without a doubt this car offers to best of every world to someone who doesn't need 4 doors. Skull crushing acceleration, nice handling, capable track car if thats your bag (not mine to be fair :) ), understated (in my opinion) looks yet still aggressive, lovely interior which has stood the test of time well and imo is better laid out than the new 3 and new 5 series.

And the best bit, i had a wedding this weekend in clare, i covered about 400 miles and according to the trip computer i averaged 30mpg (mostly motorway cruising at 80mph but some twisties aswell) granted i had the missus with me and apart from a few bursts of acceleration (which knocked my garming friction mount thingy into her lap :p) it was pretty relaxed driving.

so basically i cannot think of a reason not to own one:o

just thought id share that :D

Amen to that - It really is a very capable all round car, I have a 3 year old who fits perfectly in the back, you can fit 5 full grown adults into it comfortably(4 very comfortably for long journeys) getting in and out of the back seats is a little bit inconvenient compared to a 4 door but the looks make up for that.

I'm on my 4th E46 coupe at the moment and really don't know what to go for next, there is nothing out there (in my price range) that catches my eye as much as the M3 as Cyrus said I may well just get a newer version of the same car, when ever changing time comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I suppose my only comments would be that the type of driving that you achieved 30mpg is probably not representative of most peoples usual driving, so really I'd imagine low 20's is probably the norm.

My current MPG average is 29.7 on mine... think its about right - will be alot lower if nothing but trips to the shops and town are all you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

she's a beauty Cyrus

I just picked up a stunner 330ci (the limited edition Clubsport version), sits right in between the 330ci and the M3.

Just couldn't rustle up the extra 8k for the M3, someday I'll have one though.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sronoc

OP, what considerations would you make if buying another one? Im gettin a coupe SMG in the next few months. Prob 02/03.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

here she is:

DSC01215.jpg

Thats a beautiful motor.Well ware with it.Love the thought of owning any M3.It is a supercar in most respects, i do believe.Pity no insurance company would touch me for another 10 years or so:mad:

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats a beautiful motor.Well ware with it.Love the thought of owning any M3.It is a supercar in most respects, i do believe.Pity no insurance company would touch me for another 10 years or so:mad:

thank you, dunno what your circumstances are with regard to insurance but im 27, 2 points, full licence for 9 years, 7 years NCB, insurance is under 900 fully comp, full ncb protect :)

sronoc wrote: »
    OP, what considerations would you make if buying another one? Im gettin a coupe SMG in the next few months. Prob 02/03.

if it was me personally i would get a manual as if the smg goes wrong its expensive to fix, and it will eventually go wrong.

id try get the built in sat nav etc, just because it looks so good!

definately get one with the 19" wheels, and try get one that has had its first insp2 completed if the cars you are looking at are around 45-50,000 miles.

also the 'running in service' at 1,200 is very important, check that this done.

apart from that then its the colour combos, the grey is lovely, either the older steel grey or the newer silver grey, mine is carbon black which is a nice very dark navy is most lights, estoril blue looks good too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I was so close to buying one of these less than 6 months ago.... u were giving me advice at the time too cyrus. But alas, my financial budget took a hit right before I could. :mad:
    absolutely stunning car... and well wear.
    Hopefully in a year or two I'll have the funds available to me again.

For now, im looking at a hot hatch to keep me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

apart from that then its the colour combos, the grey is lovely, either the older steel grey or the newer silver grey, mine is carbon black which is a nice very dark navy is most lights, estoril blue looks good too :)

Having worked on a good few 'Carbon Black' M3's - it's not black, nor is it navy. It's dark purple. They just call it black so you don't feel too girly :p

tis navy i tells ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Show Off! :D

I know i would be doing the same given half the chance!
    Fair play OP long may it wear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm on the upgrade path to a e46 M3 someday I reckon

e36 318iS
    e36 323i (current car)
    e46 325/330 (next car possibly)

then maybe an M3 but there are so many limiting factors,
    Insurance,
    Fuel costs (don't know how you are managing 30MPG, I have NEVER got that on my 323i though i am in a lot of traffic)
    Theft target (I'd never be able to relax with it parked on the street)
    Tax (€1500 a year is it, I find it tough to cough up the 900 for mine)

I reckon I will own one someday but it will be for no more than a year, just to get it out of my system, then probably back to something a bit more sensible :)

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm on the upgrade path to a e46 M3 someday I reckon

e36 318iS
    e36 323i (current car)
    e46 325/330 (next car possibly)

then maybe an M3 but there are so many limiting factors,
    Insurance,
    Fuel costs (don't know how you are managing 30MPG, I have NEVER got that on my 323i though i am in a lot of traffic)
    Theft target (I'd never be able to relax with it parked on the street)
    Tax (€1500 a year is it, I find it tough to cough up the 900 for mine)

I reckon I will own one someday but it will be for no more than a year, just to get it out of my system, then probably back to something a bit more sensible :)

looks like the path alright :) ive gone e46 323ci to e39 530i sport to the m3

to be fair 30 mpg is at a sustained cruise and isnt indicative of normal driving. Mine is parked underground, the road tax hurts a lot tho :(

thank you, dunno what your circumstances are with regard to insurance but im 27, 2 points, full licence for 9 years, 7 years NCB, insurance is under 900 fully comp, full ncb protect :)

I'm in similar situation, 26, 2 points, full NCB, licence 8 yrs......best i can get is €1400. Who did you get your insurance with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That aint too bad at all, i have to say.Only 8 years away from that myself!!!I'll probably pick up more than 2 points in that time, mind:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

good man cyrus!

for those who can't stomach the cost of an E46 M3 i can say i'm just as happy in the E36 M3. I was out for a blast today and my god, 6 months on and the thing just blows me away every time.:eek:

cyrus stop being a pussy and turn the DSC off. mine's almost 300 bhp and doesn't even have traction control:cool:. it's great, you learn how to correct oversteer fast or else your cars in the ditch:D

heres mine. cyrus its autotrader btw ;)

IMG_0709.jpg

• Advertisement

Im in similar situation, 26, 2 points, full NCB, licence 8 yrs...... best I can get so far is 1400. What company are you insured with?

Advertisement