Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

An ode to the e46 m3, having your cake and eating it!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

sronoc wrote: »
    Im in similar situation, 26, 2 points, full NCB, licence 8 yrs...... best I can get so far is 1400. What company are you insured with?

i'm 22 3yrs no claims, full licence. €1750 fully comp with britton on the M3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sronoc wrote: »
    Im in similar situation, 26, 2 points, full NCB, licence 8 yrs...... best I can get so far is 1400. What company are you insured with?

eagle star thro a broker, let me know if you want her number :)

good man cyrus!

for those who can't stomach the cost of an E46 M3 i can say i'm just as happy in the E36 M3. I was out for a blast today and my god, 6 months on and the thing just blows me away every time.:eek:

cyrus stop being a pussy and turn the DSC off. mine's almost 300 bhp and doesn't even have traction control:cool:. it's great, you learn how to correct oversteer fast or else your cars in the ditch:D

heres mine. cyrus its autotrader btw ;)

IMG_0709.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

e36 M3s seem to be coming down in price a little due to the fuel price pinch.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/Evolution-Irish/963064/

Maybe, just maybe in the New Year.....

quarryman wrote: »
    e36 M3s seem to be coming down in price a little due to the fuel price pinch.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/Evolution-Irish/963064/

Maybe, just maybe in the New Year.....

to be honest if you can't afford to buy one now you wont be able to run one. just a friendly word of advice as they do cost a fortune to keep on the road. put it this way aside from the €8750to buy that car budget in the first year insurance say €1400,tyres €800, inspection2 €1200, tax disc €1500 plus about €100 per week on petrol if you drive it at all. so thats an additional 5 grand before petrol and assuming nothing brakes. budget about €3000 if the vanos goes which it does on the EVO's

don't get me wrong i absolutly love mine but make sure you can afford to run one not just buy one:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

as well as the vanos problems what other problems is one likely to encounter on an older e36 m3? what alternatives - ie similar or more power for similar or less money are there to an e36?

VH wrote: »
    as well as the vanos problems what other problems is one likely to encounter on an older e36 m3? what alternatives - ie similar or more power for similar or less money are there to an e36?

not alot really unless you go jap turbo which are generally unreilable. at the time BMW were the first to break the 100 hp/litre from a NA engine. i'm struggling to think of an NA car that can hold a match to an E36 M3 (from the same generation and similar money)

don't get me wrong the vanos thing isn't a huge problem. it's not a problem on the 3.0 M3 as that had a more reliable single vanos. the 3.2 M3 evo had a twin vanos which less reliable but still not alot to worry about on a well maintained car. other than that they are pretty bullet proof.

at the time BMW were the first to break the 100 hp/litre from a NA engine.
    that was 1996 - hadnt all the japs done 100bhp a litre by then - i used drive a 1994 175bhp 1.6 litre mitsubishi

do you think the jap turbos are unreliable - say a supra for example?
    don't get me wrong the vanos thing isn't a huge problem.
    it's not a huge problem but its expensive to fix - there are other things that go in these cars - i drive a 535 that currently has a dead cat and a head gasket thats leaking as well as clunking going on in the back which i havent looked at but i know is bushes

that was 1996 - hadnt all the japs done 100bhp a litre by then? do you think the jap turbos are unreliable - say a supra for example?

the japs had done it using turbos. i said from an NA engine. i do think the jap turbos are unreliable. i don't know much about supra's but why anyone would buy one is beyond me as the E36 M3 EVO is just as powerful with out 2 turbos give or take a horse or 2. anyone i know with a turbo seems to be always having trouble. i don't want to get in to a turbo vs non turbo thing here as i've already ****ted all over cyrus's thread. i was just trying to think of similar performance for similar money and i couldn't with out going turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

it's not a huge problem but its expensive to fix - there are other things that go in these cars - i drive a 535 that currently has a dead cat and a head gasket thats leaking as well as clunking going on in the back which i havent looked at but i know is bushes

budget €2000 for that lot.

• Advertisement

the japs had done it using turbos.
    no - wikipedia shows
    1989 honda b16 = 1.6 NA 160/170bhp
    1992 mitsu 4g92 = 1.6 NA 175bhp
    1993 mitsu 6a12 = 2.0 NA 200bhp
    1994 honda b18 = 1.8 NA 190bhp
    1996 toyota 4age 20v = 1.6 NA 162bhp
    1997 nissan sr16ve = 1.6 NA 173bhp

none use turbos

my points are that the older m3s while great value for money and no doubt super - i havent driven one - will have like all older cars a few bits that need doing - and also the m3 isnt the only show in town - unkel has a fantastic porsche iirc that cost him not much and the also the japs made their names on reliability if nothing else

right now if i was going to buy a moderately priced m3 or supra i think i'd go for the supra - if both cars were in similar nick and similar price - as the supra like any turbo charged car - has massive potential for more power

altho i wouldnt rule out the m3 either

no - wikipedia shows
    1989 honda b16 = 1.6 NA 160/170bhp
    1992 mitsu 4g92 = 1.6 NA 175bhp
    1993 mitsu 6a12 = 2.0 NA 200bhp
    1994 honda b18 = 1.8 NA 190bhp
    1996 toyota 4age 20v = 1.6 NA 162bhp
    1997 nissan sr16ve = 1.6 NA 173bhp

none use turbos

my points are that the older m3s while great value for money and no doubt super - i havent driven one - will have like all older cars a few bits that need doing - and also the m3 isnt the only show in town - unkel has a fantastic porsche iirc that cost him not much and the also the japs made their names on reliability if nothing else

right now if i was going to buy a moderately priced m3 or supra i think i'd go for the supra - if both cars were in similar nick and similar price - as the supra like any turbo charged car - has massive potential for more power

altho i wouldnt rule out the m3 either

did they have any na cars with over 200 brake tho?

i know those cars listed are relatively quick but they arent fast.

i realise a modded supra is a monster btw:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I love the look of the Supra and the power, but the tacky jap interior does my head in. The M3 is leagues above the jap cars, the power, the looks and then it's also a nice place to sit.

The interior is a huge priority for me when choosing a car

Cyrus wrote: »
    did they have any na cars with over 200 brake tho?
    that wasnt the original argument - 100bhp a litre. but pre 1996 i dont think so - dont forget they had that 280bhp limit thing anyway
    Onkle wrote:
    The interior is a huge priority for me when choosing a car
    this has been done to the death already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

that wasnt the original argument - 100bhp a litre. but pre 1996 i dont think so - dont forget they had that 280bhp limit thing anyway

this has been done to the death already

Civic was the first with 100 BHP per litre alright - although I think it was the B16A2, and not 1989's B16A1 - which was a 1.6 litre with just under 160BHP I think. BMW were so impressed with the technology they tried to buy it off them apparently.

To return to the original thread - car is looking very well Cyrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

M3s are diabolically overprices in Ireland. A brand new M3 costs ~€120k in Ireland, and costs ~€70k in Germany. Besides the fact that the cars get destroyed by the Irish roads, especially even in the cities, (my bones after driving through Dublin city..), I don't see a reason to keep one of these cars in Ireland.

Having said that, an M3 is every young fella's wet dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

M3s are diabolically overprices in Ireland. A brand new M3 costs ~€120k in Ireland, and costs ~€70k in Germany. Besides the fact that the cars get destroyed by the Irish roads, especially even in the cities, (my bones after driving through Dublin city..), I don't see a reason to keep one of these cars in Ireland.

Having said that, an M3 is every young fella's wet dream :D

Same can be said for every car bought in Ireland if that's the case, you won't find any cars that are cheaper here than the UK or the rest of Europe so it pretty much a moot point you've made there.

Cyrus' original point was that as a combination of performance, practicality and looks go it's a very good all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Looking great Cyrus :cool:

Can't agree more, the M3 is without a doubt one of the best all rounder everyday cars out there. Easily the best car i've ever owned but just don't get to drive it enough these days !

if i was changing mine dave id go for a newer one in your colour and do the exact mods you have then,

id say you will be sorry to see her go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

DaveD wrote: »

Can't agree more, the M3 is without a doubt one of the best all rounder everyday cars out there. Easily the best car i've ever owned but just don't get to drive it enough these days !

Whats going to be next Dave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Dave, Lovely car, the price is a bit high though.
    Seperate wrote: »

I'd consider giving you 23k and a 03' Harley Davidson Anniversary Model V-Rod if you're interested in something different? :cool:

jimbling wrote: »

I'd consider giving you 23k and a 03' Harley Davidson Anniversary Model V-Rod if you're interested in something different? :cool:

to be fair you wont find as nice a one for the same money i reckon, insp 2 also out of the way, easily €4k worth of nice csl extras on there too :cool:

to be fair you wont find as nice a one for the same money i reckon, insp 2 also out of the way, easily €4k worth of nice csl extras on there too :cool:

damn u..... i'm trying to drive a hard bargain here :p

well, I could get a 03 with less mileage in from UK for 30-35k. Might not have as many extras, but 4k of extras ain't worth 4k anymore :pac:
    It would also have SMG, which I am a bit partial too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Dave if I could shift my 335 I'd call you ! :D

damn u..... i'm trying to drive a hard bargain here :p

well, I could get a 03 with less mileage in from UK for 30-35k. Might not have as many extras, but 4k of extras ain't worth 4k anymore :pac:
    It would also have SMG, which I am a bit partial too.

dunno if that includes the new VRT Jim? its gone up a lot with the 30% rate now at 36% :eek:

i paid circa 9k in march, the same car today would cost me over 11.5k to vrt

the 4k of extras im talking about are almost brand new, and unlike most extras csl parts retain most of their value :p

dunno if that includes the new VRT Jim? its gone up a lot with the 30% rate now at 36% :eek:

i paid circa 9k in march, the same car today would cost me over 11.5k to vrt

the 4k of extras im talking about are almost brand new, and unlike most extras csl parts retain most of their value :p

ya, that's with the new vrt all right.... you have to be willing to buy private. But buying private there is pretty much the same as buying private here*

lol, fair point..... you'd think it was you selling the car cyrus :p

*Note, I'm not picking one of those ridiculously under priced obviously a fake adds either.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

if i was changing mine dave id go for a newer one in your colour and do the exact mods you have then,

id say you will be sorry to see her go :(

It'll be a sad day when i see her driving away alright.
    Seperate wrote: »

Not sure yet Andy, will decide when the M3 is gone.

lol, nice try but no thanks. As Cyrus has pointed out theres some expensive CSL bits on it which is reflected in the price. The car can be put back to standard no problem for a reduced price.
    ya, that's with the new vrt all right.... you have to be willing to buy private. But buying private there is pretty much the same as buying private here*

lol, fair point..... you'd think it was you selling the car cyrus :p

M3 owners look after each other :D
    MarkN wrote: »
    Dave if I could shift my 335 I'd call you ! :D

Cheers Mark, Do you have the 335 up for sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im still in debate on weather to take an e46m3 or an Evo8 as a next purchase,i had settled on the 8 and made some bids at auction but i was pipped at the post.But i've been thinking more and more about the m3 and really now dont know.

My main fear is the cost of service with the m3 compared to the evo.I'd be more confident to do basic work on the evo myself as opposed to the m3.

Even if only to buy one and keep it for a year would any owners put the m3 as a "must have" car?

lol, nice try but no thanks. As Cyrus has pointed out theres some expensive CSL bits on it which is reflected in the price. The car can be put back to standard no problem for a reduced price.

:D:D
    well, my offer wasn't that bad really... if you were interested in the harley that is...... its worth 12k+.

The car market is in a slump..... you're going to find it hard to sell it. There are M3s on carzone that have been there for 8 months, since I began looking.

Good luck with your sale though..... its a lovely car and would love to be able to just buy it off ya straight... but alas, this economic downturn :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Jimbling - we all know the market is in a difficult state, it doesn't mean a man has to give away his car for next to nothing and it doesn't mean the price hasn't already been fairly adjusted to suit the current market.

@Dave - yeh it's been up on Carzone for a while, don't see it being something I can sell too easily. Trading in will probably be my only real option and I'm not sure I'm prepared to do it for something new as it won't be anywhere near the car a 335 is when you factor in price so I'll look at something older and prestige if I do go that route.

Advertisement