Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

An ode to the e46 m3, having your cake and eating it!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

eireal wrote: »
    Im still in debate on weather to take an e46m3 or an Evo8 as a next purchase,i had settled on the 8 and made some bids at auction but i was pipped at the post.But i've been thinking more and more about the m3 and really now dont know.

My main fear is the cost of service with the m3 compared to the evo.I'd be more confident to do basic work on the evo myself as opposed to the m3.

Even if only to buy one and keep it for a year would any owners put the m3 as a "must have" car?

I used to be into my into Jap Cars until i got my first M3 which was in a different league. Best thing for you to do is drive both and see which you prefer.

To answer your question, once i drove my friends M3 i had to have one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I'm a huge huge fan of the M3. Living in the UK now and might look into an E36 M3 next year sometime. The E46 is still a bit out of my price range, but hopefully in a few years! There are a few around where I live and I can't take my eyes off them. A stunningly proportioned car IMO, yet subtle at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Put your headphones and listen to a M3 CSL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gykMNGAGGA

PS. Anyone with an M3 will feel a real performance boost from putting Millers Octane booster in their petrol, Seeing as we can't get superunleaded here. Feels like an extra 20 bhp in the CSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

wow - i was completely underwhelmed - sounded like a punto with a mushroom air filter - surely it sounds better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

MarkN wrote: »
    Jimbling - we all know the market is in a difficult state, it doesn't mean a man has to give away his car for next to nothing and it doesn't mean the price hasn't already been fairly adjusted to suit the current market.

lol, I know MarkN... but a man's gotta drive a hard bargain :pac:

I'm still in consideration mode about his car. It is a fair price all right, but not outstanding. And I understand he doesn't have to make it outstanding as he is not in a position where he really needs to sell. Fair enough.

On a further note, I am looking at a few other models at the moment as well
    There's a 04 with 17k less miles, been sold in a well known garage, that comes with a 6 month warranty for less than 40k. It's certainly not as nice looking.. i.e. doesn't have the CSL extras, but all those benefits and the fact that I can trade in my car might sway it.

Also looking at a few of the cheaper models... there's a number of 2002 models for the 24-29k range... with similar mileage. The best price one is in phoenix yellow*. That's a colour I think looks outstanding on the E46 M3, but I have to consider the resale difficulties with such a love/hate colour. Also, the one for 24.5k has been up there for about 8 months...... that could show there is something wrong with it, or just shows how difficult it is to sell the colour!!!!

I've also put some time into looking in UK since I last posted here and have discovered that there is not much value there, when you include the ridiculous VRT charge.
    Seems like Ireland has better value on M3s at the moment. :eek:

* Out of interest, what's the general consensus here on the phoenix yellow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jimbling wrote: »
    lol, I know MarkN... but a man's gotta drive a hard bargain :pac:

I'm still in consideration mode about his car. It is a fair price all right, but not outstanding. And I understand he doesn't have to make it outstanding as he is not in a position where he really needs to sell. Fair enough.

On a further note, I am looking at a few other models at the moment as well
    There's a 04 with 17k less miles, been sold in a well known garage, that comes with a 6 month warranty for less than 40k. It's certainly not as nice looking.. i.e. doesn't have the CSL extras, but all those benefits and the fact that I can trade in my car might sway it.

Also looking at a few of the cheaper models... there's a number of 2002 models for the 24-29k range... with similar mileage. The best price one is in phoenix yellow*. That's a colour I think looks outstanding on the E46 M3, but I have to consider the resale difficulties with such a love/hate colour. Also, the one for 24.5k has been up there for about 8 months...... that could show there is something wrong with it, or just shows how difficult it is to sell the colour!!!!

I've also put some time into looking in UK since I last posted here and have discovered that there is not much value there, when you include the ridiculous VRT charge.
    Seems like Ireland has better value on M3s at the moment. :eek:

* Out of interest, what's the general consensus here on the phoenix yellow?

hey jim, just some advice

1) if a car is being sold at what looks like a good price in a garage you will be absolute murdered on a trade in, unfortunately you cannot have your cake and eat it :(

2) phoenix yellow one has been around for a long time, which is definately an indication of how hard it is to move one in the colour and may also indicate something more sinister?

some of the 02s do look very cheap (which isnt good news for me :o) but id also point out that they have all been for sale for a long time, so again there may be issues there.

For sure do not buy an m3 based purely on price, or it will cost you in the long run :)

edit/ you are talking about this 04 http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/3.2/1155077/ more than one person has been told that its sold in the past few weeks!!!?

Thanks cyrus...
    Cyrus wrote: »
    hey jim, just some advice

1) if a car is being sold at what looks like a good price in a garage you will be absolute murdered on a trade in, unfortunately you cannot have your cake and eat it :(
    Well, they can't murder me that much.. cars not worth too much anyway :-)
    But ya, I know where you're coming from... ill see what they say.
    2) phoenix yellow one has been around for a long time, which is definately an indication of how hard it is to move one in the colour and may also indicate something more sinister?
    yes, there are a number of others that have been there the same length of time though. I would be most worried about the "something more sinister" side of things.
    some of the 02s do look very cheap (which isnt good news for me :o) but id also point out that they have all been for sale for a long time, so again there may be issues there.

For sure do not buy an m3 based purely on price, or it will cost you in the long run :)
    You're probably right here, as I guess they could end up costing a lot if they've not been looked after. But surely I shouldn't base it on just looks either?
    I realise Dave is a boardster, and maybe some of ye know him.... but I don't. So surely I should treat him like any other private seller, no??
    What I see is someone who brought in a car from UK (not sure for how much) put money into it, then suddenly decides to sell it after putting up only 5k miles. A sceptic might think there was something fishy there..... not me of course :pac: :pac:

edit/ you are talking about this 04 http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/3.2/1155077/ more than one person has been told that its sold in the past few weeks!!!?

yes, that is the one I'm talking about. Damn, that's strange. I was on the phone to the guy yesterday and he didn't mention anything. But he also hasn't gotten back to me on it either. Might try ringing again there. I hope it's not gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unfortunately you cannot have your cake and eat it

Better change the thread title so.

Dave is a mod (maybe even a site founder) on bmw-driver.net and also has a company that sells aftermarket parts for bmws

he also had one of the nicest e36 m3s about for a long time too :)

I would base my purchasing decision on the following, in the following order:
    1) car history, including service history and any crash repairs, paint touch ups etc

2) Profile of owner, this isnt always possible, but ideally you want to buy from an enthusiast.

3) Spec, to include colour combo (exterior interior) and mileage

4) Modifications - a positive thing if they are the right ones

5) Price

One of the lads on bmw-driver had a deal agreed on this car trading in his 01 m3 against it, when he called up after thinking it over he was told that its sold. Little fishy imo but maybe the dealer now wants a straight sale, its still not a good way to do business.

also be wary of 'warranties' offered by second hand garages, normally they arent worth the paper they are written on :(

eoin_s wrote: »
    Better change the thread title so.

lol, good point eoin :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

biggus wrote: »
    Put your headphones and listen to a M3 CSL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gykMNGAGGA

PS. Anyone with an M3 will feel a real performance boost from putting Millers Octane booster in their petrol, Seeing as we can't get superunleaded here. Feels like an extra 20 bhp in the CSL

no need for octane booster as we have maxol E5 which is 99 ron.

cyrus : car is looking great, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

IMG_0709.jpg

looks like the Prom in Salthill to me...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

One of the lads on bmw-driver had a deal agreed on this car trading in his 01 m3 against it, when he called up after thinking it over he was told that its sold. Little fishy imo but maybe the dealer now wants a straight sale, its still not a good way to do business.

also be wary of 'warranties' offered by second hand garages, normally they arent worth the paper they are written on :(

Well, I spoke to them again yesterday evening. Looks like they pretty much had it sold, but the guy who had the deposit on it had some problems with his house and had to pull out. So back on the market..... but don't tell anyone :cool:

I'm still waiting to hear back if they'll take mine as a trade in though.

And if I can manage to sell my fantastically under priced car (*cough...see signature.... cough*cough*) asap, then I am very likely to go for Dave's car :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well, I spoke to them again yesterday evening. Looks like they pretty much had it sold, but the guy who had the deposit on it had some problems with his house and had to pull out. So back on the market..... but don't tell anyone :cool:

I'm still waiting to hear back if they'll take mine as a trade in though.

And if I can manage to sell my fantastically under priced car (*cough...see signature.... cough*cough*) asap, then I am very likely to go for Dave's car :D

i bought Daves car this morning Jim.

only messing :D:D:D
    hope you get a buyer for your car as daves is a cracker and it would be a shame for it not to go to another enthuastist (sp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

galwaytt wrote: »
    looks like the Prom in Salthill to me...

An Spideal;)

kceire wrote: »
    i bought Daves car this morning Jim.

only messing :D:D:D
    hope you get a buyer for your car as daves is a cracker and it would be a shame for it not to go to another enthuastist (sp)

lmao.... you actually did get me there.... my heart jumped a beat :D

I heard back from the garage and they offered me a decent price for my car as trade in. I've pretty much put in an offer for it, but seemingly someone made some sort of an agreement over the phone earlier.... although there is no deposit down yet.
    I'm waiting to hear back on it... but not confident.

SOMEONE BY MY CAR..... PLEASE :pac: :pac: :pac:

I'm so unbelievably shocked that no one is jumping at the offer. It's price is dropped by 2k+ for quick sale. The trade in offer puts my private sale price to shame. I feel sick letting it go for so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Think one of the guys on our site has just bought that 04 M3 from Deerpark. If Dave has any sense he'll be holding onto his M3, its one of the cleanest around.

Cheap Octavia by the way

kdevitt wrote: »
    Think one of the guys on our site has just bought that 04 M3 from Deerpark. If Dave has any sense he'll be holding onto his M3, its one of the cleanest around.

Cheap Octavia by the way

Are you sure about that kdevitt???? What forum is that?
    Because I was assured only an hour ago that I could put a deposit on it in the morning with my current offer.

Question. I noticed that the car doesn't have a center armrest... thats something that I really really don't like. Anyone any ideas how much it is to put one in??

Because I was assured only an hour ago that I could put a deposit on it in the morning with my current offer.

Question. I noticed that the car doesn't have a center armrest... thats something that I really really don't like. Anyone any ideas how much it is to put one in??

Discussed here, amongst other M3's ! Think user JM1 has bought it, he was interested and had been speaking to the garage a few weeks back.

IMO, a centre armrest is a must, no idea how much it would cost to put one in though.

DaveD wrote: »
    Discussed here, amongst other M3's ! Think user JM1 has bought it, he was interested and had been speaking to the garage a few weeks back.

IMO, a centre armrest is a must, no idea how much it would cost to put one in though.

ya, was reading that thread there a while ago. My only guess is that they might think my offer more viable as it is much more cash to them.
    Or else yourman could be just screwing me around. I dunno.

Ya, I'd like an armrest all right... and csl wheels...and csl bootlid :D
    Dave, why don't you just buck it up and give me 5k for my car and the deal will be done :pac: :pac: :pac:
    I'm sure you could sell it for 5k (or more) no prob with a little time..... just take over my add below.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JM1

I know this is only my first post.I am the JM1 who is also onto Deerpark Motos and was done a deal with them over the phone yesterday around 4
    oclock and was due to collect the car today.I viewed it over a month ago
    and when I rang back a few days later to say I would take it I was told
    it was sold.So then they rang me with the same story as you got Jimbling
    and I told them I would take tomorrow(as in today).
    Now this morning they are saying there is another problem with
    your mans deposit.As far as I was concerned I was going to be driving it
    home ar yhis time today.

ya, was reading that thread there a while ago. My only guess is that they might think my offer more viable as it is much more cash to them.
    Or else yourman could be just screwing me around. I dunno.

Ya, I'd like an armrest all right... and csl wheels...and csl bootlid :D
    Dave, why don't you just buck it up and give me 5k for my car and the deal will be done :pac: :pac: :pac:
    I'm sure you could sell it for 5k (or more) no prob with a little time..... just take over my add below.

LOL, no thanks ! :)

JM1 wrote: »
    I know this is only my first post.I am the JM1 who is also onto Deerpark Motos and was done a deal with them over the phone yesterday around 4
    oclock and was due to collect the car today.I viewed it over a month ago
    and when I rang back a few days later to say I would take it I was told
    it was sold.So then they rang me with the same story as you got Jimbling
    and I told them I would take tomorrow(as in today).
    Now this morning they are saying there is another problem with
    your mans deposit.As far as I was concerned I was going to be driving it
    home ar yhis time today.

JM1, just replied on the other forum. Sounds like they're just playing us against each other until they're sure of a purchase. Guess they didn't think we'd both be on the internet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

JM1, just replied on the other forum. Sounds like they're just playing us against each other until they're sure of a purchase. Guess they didn't think we'd both be on the internet!!!!

Have you actually test driven the car from Deerpark?

kdevitt wrote: »
    Have you actually test driven the car from Deerpark?

No

I have and 5 weeks ago and was going to leave a deposit with them yesterday as I could not get the full amount because the C.U is
    closed on a Wednesday and was told" It was ok sure no point in driving up twice, we will see you tomorrow when your collecting it" what a joke..Other wise than that the car would be outside the front door rite now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Maurice Lynn

I have a e46 M3 for sale if your interested, nobody has deposits down it can be yours straight away ;)

I have a e46 M3 for sale if your interested, nobody has deposits down it can be yours straight away ;)

I doubt you take trade ins :o

What the year/colour/spec/millage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Maurice Lynn

Would consider it, what you got?

• Advertisement

Would consider it, what you got?

Pm sent.

Advertisement