Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Many Bar Pressure?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Way to high I'm afraid. It's been contended but it's generally accepted that ideal extraction happens at 8.5 to 9 bar.

It's at 15Bar due to the pumps used. Even gaggia supply thier machines with a pressure over 15Bar (me thinks) also too high, but they can be adjusted due to a 3-way over pressure valve (OPV).

As Gran Hermano said in a similar thread, pick up a moka pot and fresh coffee for an espresso type drink. What type of coffee do you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

8-9 bar is considered ideal for espresso.

Most vibe pumps will do up to 15 bar or so, but this is not always fully delivered to the coffee - usually there is a system to bring the pressure down (an over pressure valve).

Personally for me, if it was a choice between a moka pot and that machine I'd go with the moka pot 100%.

*edit*
    It's been contended but it's generally accepted that ideal extraction happens at 8.5 to 9 bar.

SNAP!
    but they can be adjusted due to a 3-way over pressure valve (OPV)

You're getting your valves all muddled! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

I might stick with the Moka pot so which I use to make espresso and add hot water and some milk to that. We've a variety of coffees at home which we go through.

Right now in the cupboard we have tins from Illy, Lavazza and packs of French, Italian & Viennese blends from Sainsburys and a pack of Sumatra Mandheling. Just the Illy and French blend are open at the moment. The French one is nice it has chicory added.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

LOL, snap indeed :D

Fair play nc6000, your better off trying a wide variety if possible. Have you tried any of the suppliers in the stickys? They're worth a go too.

Advertisement