Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me chose panniers

Options
  • 09-09-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I need to get panniers for my France trip, I'm thinking nothing less than 40 litres (I'll be buying bottles of wine!)

I'm looking at Agu, Altura and a search of these boards says that Ortleib are the best, but if that's €95 for one it'll be way out of my budget.

I had Alturas before, I really liked them but I'm concerned because I had to get a new bike rack fitted when I bought them and seeing how I'll be renting a bike I don't want this to happen.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'll give you some info on these 2 types later, need to go check the labels again :)

2825859653_0417839c9b.jpg
    285120621_1a4595e1f4.jpg

Bottom ones are Louis Garneau Grand Touring, superb panniers for long tour. Lots of pockets, detachable bits, etc.

The simpler ones are Creek2Peak brand, not sure the model. I think this might be the same model. Good bit of space but small enough to have no heelstrike issues.

In hindsight I prefer my Louis Garneau because of the compartmentalisation and detachable bits. With the all-in-ones you need to completely repack every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I have a barely-used (in fact, I think only one of them has been used) pair of those Altura panniers if you're interested. They're great if you like to keep your stuff organised - lots of sections. Waterproof too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Yes I used a pair of Altura 23L panniers (so 46L capacity) for a France tour this summer. They come with waterproof covers in the top pockets that perform very well. I paid just €75 for the pair of them in Commuting Solutions in Rathmines.

Trojan wrote: »
    285120621_1a4595e1f4.jpg

Love the baguette sticking out the back!

Advertisement