Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

• 09-09-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I was a backer of Ireland but I don't have much time for him anymore

Assuming we qualify for the world cup should he be let back into the squad or should the door be closed since the first kick of the qualifiers?

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! 395 votes

Open Door
    0% 0 votes
    Slam it Shut
    64% 255 votes
    ZX spectrum 48k James Bond Pack
    35% 140 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It’d be some blow to Glenn Whelan or Andy Reid if they lose their place in the World Cup squad if he decides to come back for the tournament.

I’d let Stephen Ireland back anytime but when the qualifiers are over and El Trap is deciding who to bring to South Africa then is no way he should be allowed go.

It'd cause resentment anyway among the team imo.
    Sure imagine a similar situation in your workplace when someone doesn't chip into a project but steps up at the end to get the glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Still open. I still think him and Steven Reid are our best midfield combo. If Britney Spears can resurrect her career in the last week, Stephen Ireland can do it and should be welcomed back

EDIT: If he does miss all the qualifiers and we qualify, he'd need to do a very public apology for being such an immature retarded a$$hole, to get back into the squad. For this he'd need to talk to Max Clifford or the likes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

flanzer wrote: »
    Still open. I still think him and Steven Reid are our best midfield combo. If Britney Spears can resurrect her career in the last week, Stephen Ireland can do it and should be welcomed back

What if he doesn't play any part in the qualifier and wants to go to the world up?

should be allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If he wants to come back then i'd let him - but I would certainly not be calling him before every qualifier to see what he is feeling, and if we do qualify without him, I would not want him as part of the squad to go there; he could return to the team for the subsequent euro-qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Slam it shut. He has been given plenty chances, all of which have been thrown in the face of the offeree. OUT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

ntlbell wrote: »
    What if he doesn't play any part in the qualifier and wants to go to the world up?

should be allowed?

Sorry I edited my post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

No saod him, if he rejects a call up for Irelands next stage of call ups then thats it. He might not even be playig 1st team football anymore since City got bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If he played he'd be the best midfielder we have.

Door always open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

should be allowed?
    Depends on the players I reckon. Manager should organise a team meeting and they should decide if they're ok with it. Tyrone have done exactly the same thing with regards to Stephen O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I predict we won't see Stephen Ireland in an irish shirt during this campaign. No need to open or close any door for him. He won't be knocking on it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If he played he'd be the best midfielder we have.

Door always open.

Ah so you were a supporter of Roy Keane too

being the best midfielder we had..

:cool:

*ducks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Slam it shut.

Either you want to play or you don't. One more call up, and then cut him out.

And no way should any players who won't play qualifiers be allowed to go to a tournament.

Ah so you were a supporter of Roy Keane too

being the best midfielder we had..

:cool:

*ducks*

When he came back I was glad in a way because yes he was our best player and no team should ever be without their best players, especially in a tournament as big as the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I definately wouldn't have him back if we were to qualify and he had played no part in it.

It's a fcuking disgrace that some footballers who are young and fit don't want to play for their country.

There was the whole Brian Kerr issue before, but now it's a joke. He should get over himself and ask to be included now.

This really p'sses me off. What is his reason anyway, or has he ever indicated what it is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Pighead wrote: »
    Depends on the players I reckon. Manager should organise a team meeting and they should decide if they're ok with it. Tyrone have done exactly the same thing with regards to Stephen O'Neill.

This is the way I see it also, if you bring back an excellent player but disrupt the rest of the squad by doing so then it would be a terrible decision imo.
    If the majority of the players are ok with it then go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Name him in the squad. If he turns up fine, if he doesn't that's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

ibh wrote: »
    I definately wouldn't have him back if we were to qualify and he had played no part in it.

It's a fcuking disgrace that some footballers who are young and fit don't want to play for their country.

There was the whole Brian Kerr issue before, but now it's a joke. He should get over himself and ask to be included now.

This really p'sses me off. What is his reason anyway, or has he ever indicated what it is??

Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane taking the mick out of his barnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane taking the mick out of his barnet.

Is that really true? If it is he really should be ashamed for acting like a spoiled child.
    I remember when i heard that was the reason Stephen Hunt came out and something like "imagine the stick i get with my barnet".. Needs to stop being a baby and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Slam it shut. The idea of refusing to play for your country is something i cant stomach. I wont go on to describe what i think about him as i would be banned.****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

we are not blessed with talented players as we once were so i'd leave the door open, he will straight himself out sooner or later and see all the good times he missed out on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

25ko7c3.jpg

StephenIreland5.jpg

Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Tell me that first picture is photoshopped? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Open the door allowing him to put his hand in it and then slam it shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

If he's playing well i dont see why its a problem to have him in the team.
    Competition for places and all that.

Trap will sort him out
    And I imagine Hughes at city had a word in his ear about his behaviour

Ye but Sven had a word with him to and nothing changed. As i said already, one more call up and if he rejects again thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He's gonna get squeezed out of the ManC setup fairly soon i bet when more big names are signed.

So I reckon we'll see him back soon enough to keep his profile up, shop window, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Whether his bizarre actions in the past were due to immaturity or some sort of personality disorder, I believe him to be a monumental tool. Still, footballers are there to play well and win games, not dazzle us with their well-rounded personalities (that only counts after retirement when they enter the world of punditry). If he can do the job on the pitch, I can put up with his histrionics and buffoonery (to a degree). Door open, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

gimmick wrote: »
    Slam it shut. He has been given plenty chances, all of which have been thrown in the face of the offeree. OUT

My sentiments exactly.

Who does he think he is?

Maybe he doesn't want to rejoin at all, but if he's thinking he can show up some time in the future just cause he feels like it and it suits him, then fck him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If the players and the Manager would be happy to have him back in the squad then its a definite YES because he can play on the right and he would add to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

is there a doggy flap in that door??? coz he should come crawling back:D

Still, footballers are there to play well and win games

Yes but thats part of our point against him, i wouldn't care so much what he does off the pitch but he rejected a chance to come back into the side to help us win games.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Yes but thats part of our point against him, i wouldn't care so much what he does off the pitch but he rejected a chance to come back into the side to help us win games.

So if he does decide to come back you would give him teh 'regulars only' line? For me, if he comes back, all transgressions are forgiven, especially if he bangs in a few goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Tell me that first picture is photoshopped? :eek:

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

He defo seems to be a 'Langer', to use his native tongue. He's a good player though. If he wants to play for us again, I don't see why we should just be stubborn and ask him to beg. the longer this silliness goes on, the more pig headed he'll become, so if he does eventually throw his beanie in the ring again, I'd say its a good indication that he's swallowed his pride and copped on. If he doesn't come back, well... meh. As Fanny Craddock said, he's a tool, but who cares if he's performing well and bangin in a few goals. i'm sure the Irish players wont mind, i'd say they'd rip the pee out of him though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see why he shouldn't be playing for Ireland, we could do with a bit more midfield talent, but then again I'm not sure exactly what it is he's (supposed to have) done to annoy everyone.

• Advertisement

I don't see why he shouldn't be playing for Ireland, we could do with a bit more midfield talent, but then again I'm not sure exactly what it is he's (supposed to have) done to annoy everyone.

I think its the whole refusing to play for his country thing. That whole grannygate nonsense was just a media stir IMO. He shouldn't have lied, but hey, his missus just miscarried. Originally when I heard that I thought, fair play, get your priorities right, go be with the missus. Why he said about his grannies is anyones guess, but hey ho. Its the refusing to play thats the big issue now, I think.

BTW, i don't think he should apologise etc if he comes back. He owes the country nothing. But a few goals, just to make up for it would be nice:)

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think its the whole refusing to play for his country thing.

I gathered that, but don't know the whole story. If he refuses to play for Ireland surely it's moot whether or not he's wanted?

I gathered that, but don't know the whole story. If he refuses to play for Ireland surely it's moot whether or not he's wanted?

i think the thread is speculative though. 'What if'. people are at the stage now where if he does want to return, they think we should tell him to beeep off.

On the granny thing, I totally agree, his place was with his girlfriend when that happened. I imagine he genuinely didn't know what the situation was with regards to not going to play so just went with the old reliable 'me granny died', forgetting that everything a top-level footballer does is scrutinised by the media and assuming nobody would look into it (or he simply didn't want the papers splashing some tasteless article about his private life over page 7).

It seems he comes in for a fair bit of stick and is a bit thin-skinned - common enough for a creative type - and the more ammo his team-mates have the worse it would get for him. But again, I don't know enough about when or why he refused to play for Ireland, so I'm just speculating as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i know his missus had an unfortunate miscarraige,but did he fall out with the players aswell or what???

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just getting the wrong end of the stick, but I really wonder how stable the guy is. There seems to be so many bizarre shenanigans surrounding him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Maybe I'm just getting the wrong end of the stick, but I really wonder how stable the guy is. There seems to be so many bizarre shenanigans surrounding him.

Gazza, Cantona, Joey Barton, Mike Tyson, sporting talent and mental stability arent exactly mutually inclusive.

Surely S Ireland must realise that Robinho is the only Man City player currently safe? If the Arabs are trying to decide who should make room for Brazillian x y and z, the petulant unreliable kid may well be top of the list. And his sale value/interest would go down somewhat, while Im not suggesting he is yet good enough for Man U it isnt as if Fergie and his ilk want a player who acts up like this. And an away game would have been the perfect re intro, if he is worried about Croker full of booing fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Door firmly open. He's our best player IMO. Certainly one of them.

We don't get many footballers who can penetrate defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

shane86 wrote: »
    Gazza, Cantona, Joey Barton, Mike Tyson, sporting talent and mental stability arent exactly mutually inclusive.

Surely S Ireland must realise that Robinho is the only Man City player currently safe? If the Arabs are trying to decide who should make room for Brazillian x y and z, the petulant unreliable kid may well be top of the list. And his sale value/interest would go down somewhat, while Im not suggesting he is yet good enough for Man U it isnt as if Fergie and his ilk want a player who acts up like this. And an away game would have been the perfect re intro, if he is worried about Croker full of booing fans.
    Just on that, Cantona and Keane had troubles before United and he took both of them. I also think that Ferguson and indeed any top manager would be happier if a player did not want to play international football.

shane86 wrote: »

Ok let's set the record straight on that one.

He has NEVER misbehaved at Manchester City so cut the 'petulent' and 'unreliable' bollox with regard to us as it doesn't apply. If he performs week in, week out for City (which he has been) then no one at the club gives a flying fuck about what he does with his international career.

In fact you could say that the fact he doesn't play international football has benefitted his club career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ok let's set the record straight on that one.

He has NEVER misbehaved at Manchester City so cut the 'petulent' and 'unreliable' bollox with regard to us as it doesn't apply. If he performs week in, week out for City (which he has been) then no one at the club gives a flying fuck about what he does with his international career.

In fact you could say that the fact he doesn't play international football has benefitted his club career.

I think odd more than petulent

StephIrelandSIE_468x787.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Learn something about professionalism, Mr. Ireland.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4257140,00.html

Learn something about professionalism, Mr. Ireland.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4257140,00.html

Eh wouldn't professionalism be being fully committed to the company who has a vested interested in you, i.e. the one who pays your wages, rather than risking yourself and your contract with them to go play for another team?

It may not be patriotic what Ireland's doing but it's certainly professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I personally think he should be allowed to play. It's upto him if he wants to play or not. The FA's job is to pick the best team possible. It's all mmature on both sides really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Eh wouldn't professionalism be being fully committed to the company who has a vested interested in you, i.e. the one who pays your wages, rather than risking yourself and your contract with them to go play for another team?

It may not be patriotic what Ireland's doing but it's certainly professional.

Choosing Ronaldo to make a point about loyalthy or professionalism is a tad bit odd. :eek:

Either way it is a testiment to the lads talent that there is such wide debate about him.

If Paul McShane came out and did the same, it might just about provoke a couple of lines.

Simple fact is Ireland need Ireland more than Ireland needs Ireland (alright that might not be simple). :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement