Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dogpile wrote: »
    Steven Hunt pfft....little muppet should keep his oar out :cool:

I actually think it's refreshing to hear somebody who actually has some info on the whole affair talking sensibly about it...

Beats the made up froth the journalists drool out every week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1194140/PICTURE-SPECIAL-Training-day--secret-Stephen-Irelands-success.html?ITO=1490
    PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Training day - the secret of Stephen Ireland's success

While most footballers are jetting off to the other side of the planet for a luxury holiday, Stephen Ireland was showing no signs of putting his feet up.

The Manchester City star revealed that his incredible performances last season were down to his refusal to take the summer off, instead preferring to take part in an intensive martial arts regime before pre-season.

And while his team-mates are soaking up the sun, Ireland is at it again - as these exclusive Sportsmail pictures prove.

The Irish midfielder, wearing a T-shirt bearing the face of Madeleine McCann, was put through his paces by a personal trainer at the Evade Blackbelt School in Glossop, Derbyshire.

Ireland was forced to sprint up a down a set of 100 steps before heading to the gym to take part in a rigorous mixed martial arts session.

His obsession with fitness was triggered in the wake of his side's embarrassing 8-1 hammering at Middlesbrough on the final day of the 2007-08 season.

Ireland vowed to change his ways after that game and has stuck to his word ever since.

'It was the last day of the season and we had lost 8-1 at Boro,’ he told Sportsmail in March. 'I didn’t get the team bus. I got my girlfriend Jessica to drive me home and I thought to myself: "This can’t carry on. My career and my reputation are not right."

'After that game we didn’t even get a b******ing. I was so depressed at seeing that people didn’t really care. People were laughing. It was the worst moment of all for me.

'I decided that wasn’t a route I was going down. I didn’t want to live my life travelling home from big defeats with a smile on my face.

'I just felt like I had to change something after everything that had happened. So, the next day I started training. I went up to the hills in Glossop with a martial arts expert, training from 7 to 11am. I dedicated my whole summer to working with this guy.

'I came back super fit and wanted to be No 1 in the team.’

article-1194140-05677642000005DC-552_468x313.jpg

article-1194140-0567754A000005DC-307_468x286.jpg

article-1194140-0567762A000005DC-758_224x423.jpg

article-1194140-05677839000005DC-755_468x291.jpg

article-1194140-056778D8000005DC-85_468x286.jpg

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I don't see what this has got to do with the thread discussing his decision not to play international football. Unless the thread is renamed "Stephen Ireland - my Summer". :)

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I don't see what this has got to do with the thread discussing his decision not to play international football. Unless the thread is renamed "Stephen Ireland - my Summer". :)

Maybe, just maybe, he's training for the next round of qualifiers ;)

International football, my head hurts... ;)

article-1194140-0567762A000005DC-758_224x423.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

After seeing that tatoo on his back I hope he never plays for Ireland again

Quint wrote: »

I agree, footballers with tattoos are useless

che5-733474.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I really don't see why the whole Stephen Ireland thing gets brought up so often. I see it as lazy journos looking to fill space on quiet news days and trying to get a few cheap quotes.

If he ends up playing for Ireland again, then great, if not, so be it.

He is a good player, better than what is in his position for Ireland at the moment, but it gets boring to have to see the same "will he, won't he?" over and over.

Don't think I said that. Do you write for The Sun by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Xavi6 wrote: »

As hard as I find it to fathom why he wont represent his country I think its bloody great reading something like that. Really impressed.

• Advertisement

Don't think I said that. Do you write for The Sun by any chance?

Thats a fair point. Why do you hope he nevers plays for Ireland again based on his having a tattoo though ? seems a bit odd, loads of footballers have them.

Thats a fair point. Why do you hope he nevers plays for Ireland again based on his having a tattoo though ? seems a bit odd, loads of footballers have them.

It was a joke on his terrible tatoo. A hilarious joke too I might add:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He really is Superman!

3641702984_923351dd43.jpg?v=0

(Excuse the lousiness I did it with Paint). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

ibh wrote: »
    I definately wouldn't have him back if we were to qualify and he had played no part in it.

It's a fcuking disgrace that some footballers who are young and fit don't want to play for their country.

There was the whole Brian Kerr issue before, but now it's a joke. He should get over himself and ask to be included now.

This really p'sses me off. What is his reason anyway, or has he ever indicated what it is??

Boring and novice reply, play our best team always even if they dont get along. I dont like some people that i work with but i still work with them. StEPHEN iRELAND door always open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Legend

Great press for Stephen.

Isn't he lucky the photographers just happened to chance upon him in the middle of his new exercise regime? What are the chances of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Its a distinct possibility that the Ireland team can gain at least a play off spot. If this does happen, it would be a disgrace to see him taken back after other players did all the hard work.

The chance for any player to play in a world cup should be motivation in itself. I really hope that the staff would not select him ahead of someone like Glenn Whelan if we do qualify for the world cup playoffs and maybe the tournament itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

orourkeda wrote: »
    Its a distinct possibility that the Ireland team can gain at least a play off spot. If this does happen, it would be a disgrace to see him taken back after other players did all the hard work.

The chance for any player to play in a world cup should be motivation in itself. I really hope that the staff would not select him ahead of someone like Glenn Whelan if we do qualify for the world cup playoffs and maybe the tournament itself.
    Stephen Reid has been injured for most of the campaign but will/would probably take Whelan's place when/if he comes back. Professional football is a results business and talent beats out loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha.

this thread is basically turning into a mix of stephen ireland appreciation and national team talk.

nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

stovelid wrote: »
    Great press for Stephen.

Isn't he lucky the photographers just happened to chance upon him in the middle of his new exercise regime? What are the chances of that?

And I presume the MMA training is in preparation for the next time all those big bold bullies in the dressing room try and laugh at his wig?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

As much as what he did annoyed me, we can't just close the door, he is a top quality player and Ireland need players of his quality.

• Advertisement

Jesus this thread is just a big jumble of broken records it's manky.

Lock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Surprised no one has commented on tdays Evening Herald write-up :rolleyes:

he's coming back he's coming back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ireland's quotes from the Herald;
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-ill-meet-trap-to-discuss-return-1783601.html
    "I will be thinking about it over the summer," said Ireland, "I spoke to Giovanni Trapattoni three weeks ago so we are going to meet up soon and see how it goes.

"But yeah, I am going to have a long, hard think about it. We'll see. I've had a good think about it already so we'll see what happens when I meet up with Trapattoni," added Ireland.

Reasonably positive comments anyway.

That's very positive news - it would be so great if he came back.

I think as a team it would really take us to a higher level.

Remember how good Glenn Whealen looked when he had a player of real class beside him in Stephen Reid? Even if Reid doesn't get over his injuries I think Ireland could bring that kind of improvement out of the players around him which would be epic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

He was the diamond in the rough of Ireland's woeful Euro 2008 Qualification camapaign. I think we need him. If Reid is fully fit, Ireland is back, Gibson gets a few club games, then I feel Ireland could really go places.

One cannot afford a potential £15 Million pounder to be coming to Ireland only to knock around Kyrstal Nightclub.

I want him back asap. Plus it wont be Whelan who gets dropped, it would be the inconsistent McGeady or Duff who would be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if he comes back its for the qualifiers for the next Euros imo. Shocking if they let him swan in after others have done the hard work.

to whoever said its similar to Reid coming back from injury. no its not. not at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Het-Field wrote: »
    He was the diamond in the rough of Ireland's woeful Euro 2008 Qualification camapaign. I think we need him. If Reid is fully fit, Ireland is back, Gibson gets a few club games, then I feel Ireland could really go places.

One cannot afford a potential £15 Million pounder to be coming to Ireland only to knock around Kyrstal Nightclub.

I want him back asap. Plus it wont be Whelan who gets dropped, it would be the inconsistent McGeady or Duff who would be removed.

i agree with most of what you said but why would Trap drop a winger for a CM?

Whelan wont leave the squad anyway, someone like Miller (who shouldent be there anyway) will.

plus it has to happen now before we play Italy/another game again, before any potential playoff otherwise he should not return this campaign.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if he comes back its for the qualifiers for the next Euros imo. Shocking if they let him swan in after others have done the hard work.

to whoever said its similar to Reid coming back from injury. no its not. not at all.

If he came back NOW, i'd take him, if he leaves it any later, then should have to wait for next campaign to get a look in. Still plenty of football in this campaign to be played though so i wouldn't mind keeping the door open till our next competitive match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Het-Field wrote: »

In what world has Duff been inconsistent in an Ireland jersey?

I worry when I hear stuff like that, do you actually watch the games?
    Easily one of better performers this campaign.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If he came back NOW, i'd take him, if he leaves it any later, then should have to wait for next campaign to get a look in. Still plenty of football in this campaign to be played though so i wouldn't mind keeping the door open till our next competitive match.

I hear you, and I hate to sound like a broken record, buts horrible we have a fit an willing Andy Reid who is not being selected in the squad over a tiff yet we beg back someone who (arguably) has done much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Was anyone else listening to Des Cahil yesterday on the radio. I was half asleep at the time but im almost sure he mentioned something about its looking likely Ireland will return after our next match?

That Tardelli has been in talks or something along those lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

che5-733474.jpg

Nope not useless just fcuking mental!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Did you feel the same about

xin_07100217171004927615.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i for one hope he does come back so we can finally close this thread..zzzzzzz

on another note did anybody watch the confederations cup and take heart with our upcoming game against italy rolling around?

mormank wrote: »
    i for one hope he does come back so we can finally close this thread..zzzzzzz

on another note did anybody watch the confederations cup and take heart with our upcoming game against italy rolling around?

tbh id have preferred if their wake up call came against us rather then in the confed cup. Now they're aware of just how poor they can be and have a serious point to prove against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi6 try to hold back your ejaculation when you watch this video

http://mcfc.co.uk/Video/Features/Stephen-Ireland-Part-2?play=1

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »

Not worth if after waiting so long for it to buffer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

joe123 wrote: »
    Was anyone else listening to Des Cahil yesterday on the radio. I was half asleep at the time but im almost sure he mentioned something about its looking likely Ireland will return after our next match?

after the next match, is there many left, i would be reluctant to see him in the squad now, he's played no part in qualifaction to date, and the less games there is to play, the less derserving he is entitled to a place in the WC squad

he done nothing to get us to the WC, so why should he play in the WC, assuming we get there, sounds harsh, but thats my 2c on it

Some going tbh, that training regime Ireland is under, and it's obviously payed off holding down a spot at the richest club in the world. medicine balls, weights, kickboxing and that hill running looks tough as hell. can't see many premier league players working so hard this summer, and i for one will welcome him back to the irish national side, if we do indeed get to the world cup he'll be major bonus to have in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

joe123 wrote: »

Tardelli's interview was in a few papers today... dunno tho, I wouldn't stick my hat on much he says, nothing much new in it unless he actually knows of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

My mate said he saw him leave a hotel on Harcourt Street a few weeks ago. Think it was the night of the slane concert?
    Anyway, he said millions of people were shouting abuse at him. The usual "Traitor", and stuff a lot worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dave! wrote: »

Legend. When he retires he's going to go on and become the Ultimate Fighting Champion. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

sunday world says he's back in the team... *pinches salt*

Paparazzo wrote: »
    My mate said he saw him leave a hotel on Harcourt Street a few weeks ago. Think it was the night of the slane concert?
    Anyway, he said millions of people were shouting abuse at him. The usual "Traitor", and stuff a lot worse

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Did you feel the same about

xin_07100217171004927615.jpg
    Ask Alf Inge Haaland what he thinks;)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :D

"I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted...."

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Jasus lads, just telling a story, no one likes a pedant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted...."

:pac:
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Jasus lads, just telling a story, no one likes a pedant

Of course, you both have lovely bottoms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DrumSteve wrote: »
    sunday world says he's back in the team... *pinches salt*

What kind of details did they have?

Joe123- by our next match, do you mean after the Aussie match or after the next qualifier? Do we only have one friendly this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote: »
    Joe123- by our next match, do you mean after the Aussie match or after the next qualifier? Do we only have one friendly this summer?

2/08/09 F Rep of Ireland v Australia

05/09/09 WC Cyprus v Rep of Ireland TBA 19.45
    08/09/09 F Rep of Ireland v South Africa RSA Limerick
    10/10/09 WC Rep of Ireland v Italy Dublin 19.45
    14/10/09 WC Rep of Ireland v Montenegro Dublin 19.45

2 Friendlies (1 of those in Limerick) and 3 Qualifiers left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sugarman wrote: »
    Both are in Limerick
    So they are.

I thought it was just the one. Ah sure it's good for the fans that don't live in Dublin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement