Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Have been away for the week.

Any word on his return or is it looking like much ado about shag all again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

shane86 wrote: »
    What kind of details did they have?

Joe123- by our next match, do you mean after the Aussie match or after the next qualifier? Do we only have one friendly this summer?

as far as i remember it was the full on roy curtis special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

DrumSteve wrote: »
    as far as i remember it was the full on roy curtis special.

i hate roy curtis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

i hate roy curtis
    Likewise. Is the prat still writing for that rag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

population wrote: »
    Have been away for the week.

Any word on his return or is it looking like much ado about shag all again?

No developments but Keano has been saying again how great it would be to have him back.
    Despite the positive noises which have come from the Stephen Ireland camp about his intentions, and confirmation that Trapattoni plans to meet the Irish exile in the coming weeks, it's been suggested in some quarters that the August 12th game against the Australians should be the cut-off point for Ireland to decide if he does want to resume his international career.

But Keane says the Manchester City man should be welcomed back, with no deadline. "It's dangerous to set people deadlines, trust me!" Keane said.

"If he does come back it's brilliant, absolutely brilliant news. I don't know the latest on it, and Ireland are doing well anyway, but if they are to qualify for the World Cup, people like Stephen Ireland come into their own in the tight games.

"Jesus, he's a good bloody player. I don't know what goes on in the background and it's none of my business, but he's a good player and Ireland don't have the biggest squad in the world.

"To have a player who is playing regularly for a team in the Premiership, scoring goals and setting up a lot of goals for Man City, then he's a big plus for Ireland, so fingers crossed -- if they qualify -- that Stephen Ireland could be a top, top player. He seems to be training all summer and it's good news."

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/keane-ireland-return-would-be-brilliant-news-1811241.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I don't think he's gonna come back to be honest, unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I wouldn't have him back unless he begged on his hand and knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

sugarman wrote: »
    Himself and Steven Reid in the middle will dramaticly increase our chances.

Is he close to coming back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Expected to be fit to play start of season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

sooooooooooooooo....

why does his Stephen's brother have nude photos of him on an ipod???

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/07/18/nude-ireland-pic-plotter-is-jailed-115875-21528677/

A dad who tried to extort £20,000 after finding an iPod with nude photos of footballer Stephen Ireland was jailed for a year yesterday.

Bus driver Paul Smith came across the iPod, which belonged to Ireland's brother, in a clothing store's changing rooms.

Smith, a 30-year-old father of three, discovered it contained not only family photos but two pictures of Ireland in the nude and one of his girlfriend He contacted 22-year-old Ireland's club Manchester City and said if he did not get £20,000 he would sell the photos to a Sunday newspaper.

Smith, who pleaded guilty, was arrested after giving the club his first name and his mobile phone number. Judge Clement Goldstone told him as he passed sentence yesterday: "Mr Ireland must have been distressed."

Ireland, on tour in South Africa, said: "It is a relief that this man has pleaded guilty. It is a weight off my mind and I can get on with my life and career."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Roar wrote: »

Damn.

The resultant psychological stress from iPodGate means he'll be unable to declare until 2016 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

We'll be watching between our fingers if Andrews and Whelan are in midfield. Sorry lads, you're just not good enough but the thousands of ££££££££ every week will soothe your bruised egos. If it's a pairing of Ireland and S.Reid/McCann (who looks a cracking prospect) in September then I'm confident we'll be booking our holidays in S.A next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

We'll be watching between our fingers if Andrews and Whelan are in midfield. Sorry lads, you're just not good enough but the thousands of ££££££££ every week will soothe your bruised egos. If it's a pairing of Ireland and S.Reid/McCann (who looks a cracking prospect) in September then I'm confident we'll be booking our holidays in S.A next summer.

Stephen Ireland will be back for the August game in Thomand. Hopefully stephen reid can stay fit even at least until September :pac:

McCann will be an interesting one. I don't think he will have an instant impact this season but I think he will grow into a premiership player over time.

Ireland would have to change his game if he's going to be playing in a 2 man central midfield for us. I'd play him there at home against weak teams but that's about it. Half the time we lose the ball Ireland will probably be up the other end of the pitch and we can't just have 1 player covering for that. If he does come back he'll be taking the place of Hunt/McGeady imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Ireland would have to change his game if he's going to be playing in a 2 man central midfield for us. I'd play him there at home against weak teams but that's about it. Half the time we lose the ball Ireland will probably be up the other end of the pitch and we can't just have 1 player covering for that. If he does come back he'll be taking the place of Hunt/McGeady imo.

You're not suggesting if Ireland comes back he ought to be used on the wing are you?

• Advertisement

No, just saying he'll be taking Hunt's spot in the team. Maybe Trap will change things around a bit to fit in our best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

No, just saying he'll be taking Hunt's spot in the team. Maybe Trap will change things around a bit to fit in our best player.

give ireland another season with City and he'll be a fully fledged central midfielder. Its all about experience, and confidence in stephen irelands case.
    But you are right he'll prob be used in another role by Trap initially when he comes back.
    But I think he'll be as close to Scholes as we will see in England in 2-3 seasons.

He has all the tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Roar wrote: »
    sooooooooooooooo....

why does his Stephen's brother have nude photos of him on an ipod???

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/07/18/nude-ireland-pic-plotter-is-jailed-115875-21528677/

Id imagine (or hope) he used his laptop to load songs onto his own iPod. I got lumbere with a load of helium voice teen knacker dance from my 14 year old cousins laptop in similar circumstances (I like my proper dance but jaysus, this made Scooter sound like Prodigy). Though it begs the question of why S Ireland presumably keeps naked photos of himself on his own iPo. Talented though he is the lad aint right :D

Whos this McCann lad anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Chris McCann, plays for Burnley, one of their best players last year.

I dont know if I am THAT confident about Chris McCann. Looks useful but if Coyle keeps switching him back into defence when theyre stuck, any chances of establishing himself as a midfielder would be compromised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Seaneh wrote: »
    Chris McCann, plays for Burnley, one of their best players last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_McCann_(footballer)

See last paragraph. Another Givens fall out :rolleyes:

The man could start a row in an empty room. Why the FAI keep giving him a role is just beyond me

Jayob10 wrote: »
    give ireland another season with City and he'll be a fully fledged central midfielder. Its all about experience, and confidence in stephen irelands case.
    But you are right he'll prob be used in another role by Trap initially when he comes back.
    But I think he'll be as close to Scholes as we will see in England in 2-3 seasons.

He has all the tools.
    I agree with the Scholes comparison but Scholes would never have played in a 2 man midfield at 28 never mind 22. I think Ireland is still very much in the Kaka and Lampard mould of running forward after passing the ball while a central midfielder will usually pass and make himself available again. He's class at what he does but not a central midfielder yet.
    population wrote:
    I dont know if I am THAT confident about Chris McCann. Looks useful but if Coyle keeps switching him back into defence when theyre stuck, any chances of establishing himself as a midfielder would be compromised.
    I don't remember him playing in defence. When was that?

Givens made it up with McCann after that falling out and selected him in a later squad.

That match was in Athlone, J. J. O' Toole scored the winner on his debut.

When he was coming on I said to a mate "O'Toole is quality, bet ya a tenner he scores".

Easiest tenner I ever won.
    Here's myself and J.J. in the tunnell after the match.

376661729a6170334284l.jpg

I don't remember him playing in defence. When was that?

Givens made it up with McCann after that falling out and selected him in a later squad.

He played left full/wing back a few times.

Seaneh wrote: »
    He played left full/wing back a few times.
    Was it last season? He was on telly 7 or 8 times last season and I don't remember him playing anywhere but midfield. Just checked the lineups from their last 15 or so games and he's midfield in them all. Maybe he has played there but it doesn't look like Coyle is compromising his progress as a midfielder. He starts every game he's available. I'd say Coyle rates him higher than any player at Burnley tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Jayob10 wrote: »

He has all the tools.
    Yeah i'd say that he has the technical skills, even now, to make a good go of the CM position. Whether he has the experience/discipline to stay behind the play is another question. Trap is the master of assessing and influencing a players positional sense on the pitch. Something i'd say about the idea of SH in centre mid is that Trap has often talked about whether players are big enough to play there - am i right to think that SH is slightly bigger than Whelan?

Imo if it turned out that he couldn't play CM it could be a massive headache.
    Trap did say he would consider changing the formation to suit him if he needs to.
    4231 and drop one of the front men? Stay 442 and stick SH on the wing? pfft it would be a headache i'd welcome anyway.

He doesn't necessarily have to be playing on the wing. A similar role to Arteta at Everton would suit. Without the ball he'll cover on the wing but with it he can drift all over. It's pretty much what Trap wants from his wide players but our current wide players are natural wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah that could be sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Good start to the season there yesterday for Ireland, scoring near the end to seal the win for City.

Come back Stephen- All is forgiven! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good start to the season there yesterday for Ireland, scoring near the end to seal the win for City.

Come back Stephen- All is forgiven! :)

The #1 jersey is for Given, he can take his pick of the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

That was a peacg of a goal he scored the man's class,but if he doesn't want to play for Ireland,fk him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I think people are tired of it all , not wanting to play for your country because someone took the p*ss out of him bout his mullet is daft :D , its dragging on and on , he should just bite the bullet and ring Trap and ask him to include him for selection , or get his granmam to do it for him :pac:

Stargate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

The story seems to have changed again somewhat, a while back the news from his side was that there was to be a meeting with Trap shortly....now it seems "all he has to do is pick up the phone" from the management side :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stargate wrote: »
    I think people are tired of it all , not wanting to play for your country because someone took the p*ss out of him bout his mullet is daft :D , its dragging on and on , he should just bite the bullet and ring Trap and ask him to include him for selection , or get his granmam to do it for him :pac:

Stargate

There are so many things that are retarded about this post I can't decide which to hate the most...

I think I'll go for you signing your username at the end of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

keane2097 wrote: »
    There are so many things that are retarded about this post I can't decide which to hate the most...

Surely you don't think the overtures should be coming from the management's side?

Why should he have to be begged back? If the only thing stopping him playing for his country is a phon call then he isn't motivated enough. If its somthing more the the whole thing is moot.

I have far more sympathy for him than most over Grannygate, him and his GF lost a baby ffs, people seem to think he lied for a few days off. However its been a few years and he needs to decide.

keane2097 wrote: »

its called humor Keane , maybe you should try some:D

noodler wrote: »
    I have far more sympathy for him than most over Grannygate, him and his GF lost a baby ffs, people seem to think he lied for a few days off. However its been a few years and he needs to decide.

noodler , agreed , people are human at the end of the day and it happened , lets move on , id love to see him back in the team , god knows hes agreat player for city and always plays well for Ireland ,

noodler wrote: »
    Surely you don't think the overtures should be coming from the management's side?

Why should he have to be begged back? If the only thing stopping him playing for his country is a phon call then he isn't motivated enough. If its somthing more the the whole thing is moot.

My issue is with people continuing to go on about the guy's fcuking hair and thinking it's actually still funny.

The rest of it I could care less about at this stage, but these attempts at so-called humour are so far beyond feeble at this point you just have to despair for the apparent lack of intellect behind them.

• Advertisement

its called humor Keane , maybe you should try some:D

No. No it isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Calm down dear, its only a thread.

CHD wrote: »
    Calm down dear, its only a thread.

lol CHD , Thats what i thought too :D , some people are touchy about their hair :rolleyes:

ZX. Spectrum. 48k. James. Bond. Pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Let's keep the thread about football. The hair discussion can continue here

Cheers

stovelid wrote: »
    ZX. Spectrum. 48k. James. Bond. Pack

did you pick that stovelid lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

If I've to watch an Irish midfield consisting of Whelan/Andrews/Gibson for much longer I might join young Steven in becoming the man with no country :D

did you pick that stovelid lol

Nah, slam it shut, but that was quite a time ago. :D

stovelid wrote: »
    Nah, slam it shut, but that was quite a time ago. :D

still the same opinion i wonder ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

For the record, I voted for the "Open Door" option and I still maintain that viewpoint. Wtf is the James Bond Pack anyway? :confused:

Is 007 eligible to play for Ireland? Does he have an Irish granny? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

For the record, I voted for the "Open Door" option and I still maintain that viewpoint. Wtf is the James Bond Pack anyway? :confused:

Is 007 eligible to play for Ireland? Does he have an Irish granny? :confused:

The ZX Spectrum was a games console advailable from the mid 80's t early 90's it was many peoples (including myself's) first games console there was a jams bond game released for the sytem and togeter with the system as a game pack that was to my knowledge the first home console to come with a gun peripheral (It was however about as accurate as a drunk skanger at funderland shooting at ducks)

The reason it was included in the poll is to do with the "Atari Jaguar" a commercially unsuccessful console from the early 90's which is used in polls constantly as an additional option for some unknown reason the Sprectrum was just a substitution for this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement