Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

population wrote: »
    Nope the guy is barking off the pitch. Oddball chap. Would give my eye teeth to play for my country. I will never understand nor forgive him. Class acts play at World Cup's if the chance is there.

I'd love to play for my country too but the fact he isn't doing so doesn't mean he's not patriotic. It could mean, as I reckon is likely, that he has issues with people in the squad. If he's happier mentally and physically being away from the camp then perhaps it's best for all concerned.

I just hope we're not going to have papers calling him a traitor, fans sending him silly messages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I find his behaviour strange. That is my opinion. Not sure why you take such issue with that.

Also that story about the phone actually happenned. It went to court. I did not make it up I am glad he won the case but I found the nudey picture elements of it a bit strange. I could refernce you the article from any newspaper but happened to be flicking through a few footy forums at the time and there it was.

To summise I dont think he is bad bloke. I dont think he should be hung for not playing. I simply do not understand where he is coming from and yes I find him a bit odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I find his behaviour strange. That is my opinion. Not sure why you take such issue with that.

He's got into no more grief or done silly things, or driven any more stupid motors, then a lot of other footballers to be honest.

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I just don't like the fact that a guy who has a long term partner and young kids, is extremely professional, and gives up a lot of his own time to do excellent charity work has all that overshadowed by the colours of the rims on a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Nope the guy is barking off the pitch. Oddball chap. .

You're dead right he is an oddball, how many times in the Summer did we read overtures from him of a meeting shortly with Trappatoni? direct quotes from him when he was over for an Oasis gig....there was no meeting and none ever planned....he seems to get it from his father who's been in the press numerous times talking about his desire to return, how the 2 of them were watching the Italy game together and how interested he was in it...now we read he's off to a gym at International time, the story changes all the time....barking attention seekers the pair of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Interesting that RTE didn't include the part about him not wanting to come back to the squad. See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If i played for Manchester City i would buy the exact same car.

Audi A8 is my dream car, cant believe he is considered mental because he bought that and put a custom paint job on it. I love his car.

Properly gutted he wont be back for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Irish Times

Ireland rules out return to international arena
    Stephen Ireland looks to have put an end to speculation on any imminent return to international football after admitting his decision to stop playing for his country “feels like the best decision I ever made”.

The 23-old Manchester City midfielder has not played at international level since the Republic of Ireland’s game against Slovakia two years ago.

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has talked to the former Cobh Ramblers player about a possible return, but has always admitted that the call must come from the player himself.

Now it looks like Ireland has made up his mind, saying he is looking forward to the upcoming international break to work on his fitness after a fine start to the season with Mark Hughes’ side and that playing for his country is the furthest thing from his mind just now.

“I’m not thinking about it at all. It’s just my position and it feels like the best decision I ever made,” said Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ireland should give up on Ireland.

Look at what pining for Roy Keane did to a decent team, and a decent manager between 2002-2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

About fcuking time there is some closure on the subject. He doesnt want to play end of. Hopefully now the likes of Roy Curtis will stop writing lovenotes and making out he is the second coming of the lord in the tabloids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If i played for Manchester City i would buy the exact same car.

Audi A8 is my dream car, cant believe he is considered mental because he bought that and put a custom paint job on it. I love his car.

Properly gutted he wont be back for us.

You'd buy a Range Rover with pink wheels :eek:

That's what people are talking about on the previous page, not the R8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

The fact the guys taking kung fu training when he could be representing his country says it all.

Maybe he can represent Ireland a the next Olympics?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He should tell his dad to stfu and stop giving people false hopes.

The guy isn't interested, best of luck to him. People should move on and there should be no more mixed messages from his family or friends.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    He should tell his dad to stfu and stop giving people false hopes.

The guy isn't interested, best of luck to him. People should move on and there should be no more mixed messages from his family or friends.

Nah f**k him!

hope City buy a shedload of superstars( you know, International ones who play International football) and he finds himself frozen out...he was **** today that's a step in the right direction.....maybe he'll come running back to the Ireland camp just to get some games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

At the end of the day the longer he opts out of the squad it will be harder for him to ever return. Even if he did return now he wouldn't get the best reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ireland has made it clear as day that he can't be bothered representing his country. He no longer has the right to do so in my eyes and even if he decided to grace our national shirt with his ego he should now be told he is no longer wanted.

He's Ireland only in name now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

rte.ie wrote:
    Any hopes of Stephen Ireland returning to the international set-up for the final games of Ireland's World Cup qualifying campaign have been all but extinguished after the Manchester City midfielder declared that quitting was the best decision he ever made.

As Giovanni Trapattoni prepares for the return to Cyprus this weekend, where Ireland played in the 5-2 humiliation in Nicosia under Steve Staunton in 2006, 23-year-old Ireland ruled out the prospect of an international comeback.

'I'm not thinking about it at all,' he told a British Sunday paper.

'It's just my position and it feels like the best decision I have ever made.'

However, Trapattoni is likely to be more concerned about the fitness of centre back Sean St Ledger, who picked up a knee injury at the weekend that could rule him out of Saturday's all-important match.

St Ledger was substituted after 81 minutes of Preston's draw with Roy Keane's Ipswich Town after colliding with his own goalkeeper.

Preston boss Alan Irvin revealed that it was not yet clear if the setback would rule him out of the Cyprus tie. He said: 'We will let their (the FAI's) medical people know as soon as we have got any information and they'll make the decision about whether he goes with them or not.'

St Ledger's absence would be a major blow for Trapattoni's plans, as he is already without injured defenders Paul McShane and Steve Finnan.

McShane finalised his transfer at the weekend to Hull City for an undisclosed fee.

Some good news for Ireland saw striker Kevin Doyle shine in his full Premier League debut for Mick McCarthy's Wolvesin their 1-1 draw with Hull City.

Doyle played the full 90 minutes and had a late effort cleared off the line as he looked sharp and almost back to his exuberant best.

'I was happy enough just to get through the 90 minutes to be honest,' he said.

'It has been quite a frustrating time since I joined. That was my first 90 minutes for Wolves and my first start for them in the Premier League. It is the first time I've played 90 minutes for a long time.

'I hope to play a couple of games for Ireland now and then I should be up to speed. That will probably make up the difference after the pre-season games I missed.'

Teammate Stephen Ward, meanwhile, will likely be sidelined for more than three weeks after knee surgery.
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

lets leave this traitor be ...we may not have the best side in the world but at least they'll play for their country!STAY AWAY IRELAND!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To be honest his betrayal is much worse than Roy Keane's for me. At least Keane put in the effort and graft for years and in his mind had a reason and a point behind his international exit. Ireland just can't be bothered, which is disgusting.

• Advertisement

This is why I do not agree when people refer to him as "a class act on and off the pitch". His behaviour just smacks of narcissism to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

time for a lock thread here?

a line has to be drawn somewhere, he has said not playing is the best thing he's ever done & is not thinking about coming back...perfect time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

No different to this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_Schuster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kingdom wrote: »

From a quick read - it seems completely different, and also, even if it was the same.... so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

To be honest his betrayal is much worse than Roy Keane's for me. At least Keane put in the effort and graft for years and in his mind had a reason and a point behind his international exit. Ireland just can't be bothered, which is disgusting.
    There can be no doubt that Keane betrayed his country but like you say at least he played with heart and soul when he did play. Stephen Ireland is a disgrace and imo is all that's wrong with the modern game. A disgusting example to young footballers and i hope the FAI come out and ban him for ever from the national set-up after these latest remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I'd love to play for my country too but the fact he isn't doing so doesn't mean he's not patriotic. It could mean, as I reckon is likely, that he has issues with people in the squad. If he's happier mentally and physically being away from the camp then perhaps it's best for all concerned.

I just hope we're not going to have papers calling him a traitor, fans sending him silly messages etc.
    Why not. He deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Why can't he just say that he has no interest in playing for ireland again so that this thing can be put to bed once and for all.
    'I'm not thinking about it at all,' he told a British Sunday paper.

'It's just my position and it feels like the best decision I have ever made.'

Those quotes dont give anything about his permanent future intentions imo. It may be the best decision he has ever made...but only up until now. People may think 'Great, he has sorted himself out so maybe he might comback soon'.

It annoys be that this debate will continue cus he cant give a straight answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why do people feel he should play for this country, like he has some obligation?

This is no longer the amature era, it is now the country which should feel grateful if someone decides to give up their free time to play for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

LowOdour wrote: »
    It annoys be that this debate will continue cus he cant give a straight answer.

The debate should be ended now by telling him to go fcuk himself. He's a good player and someone we could badly do with having in the team, but at this stage it's become a farce. The problem is he has never really given a straight answer to this, never really said what his problem is. Does he want Trappatoni or Brady to go cap in hand and beg him to come back? No way. Draw a line under it and let it be known that he's not welcome now or at any time. He's a genuinely good player but someone who unfortunately comes across as being a complete tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

SLAM DUNK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Damn is this still here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm very disappointed but he's made his bed now. I've stuck up for him most of the time this is f***ing disgraceful though. Every football should want to play for their country. F*** off Ireland.

I'm very disappointed but he's made his bed now. I've stuck up for him most of the time this is f***ing disgraceful though. Every football should want to play for their country. F*** off Ireland.

Why should they want to play for their country out of interest? Just because you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"I don't want to play coz the other lads pick on me!"

Coward. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

If he doesnt want to play for the country then f*ck him, slam the door on his slap head!
    There's so many others that would give their right arm to play for their country, they'd be proud.
    Him and Roy Keane should never be allowed have anything to do with Irish football again. Muppets the pair of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We could see a bit more of this as time goes on.

The stakes re: club football are becoming higher and higher. More and more tension between clubs and national associations. More and more money. The champions league (and eventual Mega-Club's League) are becoming the preeminent competitions. Players like Ireland are in the biggest shop-window there is. No need to put up with a joke organization like the FAI and a few days lost from your club schedule to come home and play nobody teams to get other clubs to notice you

No use in abusing the guy if he doesn't want to play.

enda1 wrote: »
    Why should they want to play for their country out of interest? Just because you do?

Why do you feel the need to defend him? would you play for your country?

top professional footballers(or any sport for that matter) point blankly refusing to represent their country is a rarity if not an oddity....you sound like a fan brought up in the "Sky Premiership" era of the greedy****e!

S. Ireland is a proven liar, he lied in the past and he lied this Summer of a planned meeting.....anyone to mind mind who feels the need to defend him is an oddball who likes to swim against the tide much like him himself

dogpile wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to defend him? would you play for your country?

top professional footballers(or any sport for that matter) point blankly refusing to represent their country is a rarity if not an oddity....you sound like a fan brought up in the "Sky Premiership" era of the greedy****e!

S. Ireland is a proven liar, he lied in the past and he lied this Summer of a planned meeting.....anyone to mind mind who feels the need to defend him is an oddball who likes to swim against the tide much like him himself

What's so different between footballer and any other profession?
    Why is he suddenly a villain just because he doesn't want to participate in charity work which actually takes from the poor and gives to the rich rather ironically...
    Why play for a team which is going to damage your professional career, your
    personal life and not compensate you for the effort?

What's so different between footballer and any other profession?
    Why is he suddenly a villain just because he doesn't want to participate in charity work which actually takes from the poor and gives to the rich rather ironically...
    Why play for a team which is going to damage your professional career, your
    personal life and not compensate you for the effort?

Yeah just as I said, an oddball who swims against the tide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

why is this still open. its getting ridiculous now. he doesnt want to play, end of. i seriously think some of you have a noose with irelands name on it, nasty uninformed stuff.

• Advertisement

bigstar wrote: »
    why is this still open. its getting ridiculous now. he doesnt want to play, end of. i seriously think some of you have a noose with irelands name on it, nasty uninformed stuff.

It's easily avoided if you've no interest, I know I never read a Liverpool/Manutd/Newcastle or whoever thread on here.....or should everyone esle stop talking coz you're bored of it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm closing this thread for a few hours to allow a few people cool their heels, it will reopen despite the protestations of some contributors because it is a topic that people want to discuss.

While that is the case, discussion should be in accordance with the forum charter, so when it does reopen I suggest you all moderate your language, no matter what the rights/wrongs of this situation none of you have the right to abuse each other, or Stephen Ireland for that matter.

Please do not contact me to discuss this decision, the thread will reopen in a few hours, no amount of feedback will change that.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Right, time for a reopening...

mod note: be warned, if you cannot discuss this issue in a civil manner, in accordance with the forum charter, then it is in your own interest that you do not post on this thread from this point onwards.

This is a topic that some users wish to debate, and we will not be closing it just because a few posters cannot control their emotions. Instead, we will issue infractions, and bans to repeat offenders, to those of you who cannot play nicely.

Thank you for your patience.

Yeah just as I said, an oddball who swims against the tide

Why does he/I have to conform to your expected norm?

To be honest its more of a lose/lose situation playing for a national team on the British Isles, I don't think its appreciably helped any talented player in my living memory (I'm 24).

If anything its damaged peoples (managers and players) reputations.
    I think he is making a far more courageous statement by taking the hard line and saying no to his international calling rather than yes by the way....

Its harder to swim against the tide ;)

Why does he/I have to conform to your expected norm?

To be honest its more of a lose/lose situation playing for a national team on the British Isles, I don't think its appreciably helped any talented player in my living memory (I'm 24).

If anything its damaged peoples (managers and players) reputations.
    I think he is making a far more courageous statement by taking the hard line and saying no to his international calling rather than yes by the way....

Its harder to swim against the tide ;)

Just as I said, brought up in the "Sky Premiership" era of the greedy****e!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

To be honest its more of a lose/lose situation playing for a national team on the British Isles

so what about playing for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

As Duffer said in that interview "lets just get on with it". Forget about him, hes a waste of space and time.

Just as I said, brought up in the "Sky Premiership" era of the greedy****e!!

So my opinion is not valid because you are older than me? And I used to watch soccer on RTÉ too before sky took over the rights.

If you want to follow amateur players playing for the place they're from, go to the match in Croker on Sunday. If you want to follow the greatest soccer players the world has ever seen, then you have to pay good money for the privilege.

Why is somebody greedy for wanting to get paid for their job out of interest?

Auvers wrote: »
    so what about playing for Ireland?

Huh?

So my opinion is not valid because you are older than me? And I used to watch soccer on RTÉ too before sky took over the rights.

If you want to follow amateur players playing for the place they're from, go to the match in Croker on Sunday. If you want to follow the greatest soccer players the world has ever seen, then you have to pay good money for the privilege.

Why is somebody greedy for wanting to get paid for their job out of interest?

I'm not a whole lot older than you but know and respect the history of the game...name the list of "the greatest soccer players the world has ever seen" who have turned their back on representing their country....go on roll the list off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement