Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As I said in my post, it's just how I felt watching him score and celebrate - I didn't say he was right or wrong in scoring as I am aware thats what he's paid to do. It's my feeling as an Irish supporter and he is a footballer who should be on the team I support but refuses two.

I knew you'd be straight on my back, If you didn't have yer blue-speced glasses on maybe you two might be sick to the stomach watching him.

And I'm sure you would be disgusted if Torres announced tomorrow that he was giving up his international days to further his career at Liverpool.

The bottom line, no matter who you support, is that club football is bread and butter, and for a lot of players international football is an inconvenience. Look at Scholes. Threw a hissy fit when he was played on the left and never turned out for England again.

How do you feel about Jamie Carragher by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Xavi6 wrote: »

I don't support England so I don't really care tbh. It's a plus for Liverpool but I wouldn't bother me if he was still playin for them. Steven Ireland as far as I know hasn't retired has he? Im an Irish supporter an want to see the best players out for the team - he's 22 and refusing to play for whatever reason - it jus sickens me an thats it!

I don't support England so I don't really care tbh. It's a plus for Liverpool but I wouldn't bother me if he was still playin for them. Steven Ireland as far as I know hasn't retired has he? Im an Irish supporter an want to see the best players out for the team - he's 22 and refusing to play for whatever reason - it jus sickens me an thats it!

So you tell me to take of my blue glasses while you keep your green ones firmly on. That's a bit hypocritical.

Of coure I want him to play for us again but he has no obligation to do so or issue some half arsed apology should he come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Of coure I want him to play for us again but he has no obligation to do so or issue some half arsed apology should he come back.

I agree, he should have nothing to apologise for. It's a shame he feels like this,I watched him closely last night and he would be such a plus for the team If he did come back. I can't help that he sickens me though, it's only natural. I'll not hold a grudge If he does come back. We all want to get to South Africa, ya have to understand that It is very frustrating for everyone watching him play so well for City when effectively he could be our ticket to the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

And I'm sure you would be disgusted if Torres announced tomorrow that he was giving up his international days to further his career at Liverpool.

The bottom line, no matter who you support, is that club football is bread and butter, and for a lot of players international football is an inconvenience. Look at Scholes. Threw a hissy fit when he was played on the left and never turned out for England again.

Come on, they are not even close to what's going on with Ireland. Carra never got picked. Upson got selected ahead of him.(which is scandalous btw) Carra came out and stated the reasons for not playing. He gave what appeared to be an honest assessment (does Jamie do any other kind?!:D) of what was happening him at international level. Don't think Ireland was quite so clear???:eek:

Scholes was prob the best attacking CM of his generation and got shafted by England. End of. The guy deserved to be the first name on the team sheet but Becks was seen as the main man cause of his commercial viabiity.:rolleyes:

If Nando decided to jack in the International game for whatever reason, i think Spanish fans would go ballistic. And rightly so.
    I would of course be slightly pleased that he would get more rest, but if i was Spanish and followed the National team, i would be raging.

I absolutely abhor Irelands decision to turn his back on his country, whatever his unexplained reasons. I also felt the same way when Keane refused to play. I am also disappointed with Andy O'Brien btw, but obviously the Ireland situation is more focused due to the controvesy of his departure from the squad and his age and obvious talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭coillcam

Come back Stephen.

Slightly similar stuff I have seen happen before in local GAA clubs, not quite the same mind you but somewhat similar. Lads giving managers or players unreal abuse or indeed receiving some and worse knocking lumps off of each other. Lads being dropped for drinking, missing training or general debauchery. Ultimately someone ends up excommunicated/walking. Usually they end up coming back and welcomed at that for the most part from what I've seen.

Now this is not whats happening with Stephen Ireland but it's really up to him whether he wishes to line out or not tbf. If doesn't want to play again fair enough for me and try and get young McCarthy ready to fill his roll in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Time for another poll:

Stephen Ireland Polls: Open More or Slam Them Shut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Turns out his not even Irish and not eligible - CASE CLOSED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Boggles wrote: »
    Turns out his not even Irish and not eligible - CASE CLOSED!

Does he not quailfy by the granny rule :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

here's an interesting link for anyone following this story.

This is Stephen Ireland official website. Intestesting insight in the stories he has linked, namely two regarding family commitments. One is a Stuart Pearce Interview, and the other by Brian Viner (?) regarding barack O' Bama.

Anyway, for those interested, you can buy the shirts he wore in various games on here, all money goes to his charities.

maybe he is just misunderstood.

http://www.stephenireland.com/news/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The lad obviously has his own personal problems. Its up to him whether he plays for his country or not. If he feels its not for him, then thats his business.
    The only reason theres so many replies in this thread is because he is such a talented player. If it was some championship player, nobody would give a toss about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

yeah, must start a thread about Clinton Morrisons family issues....and watch the replies flock in.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

How sick would Andy Reid be if Ireland came back and walked into the starting lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i saw the front page of the irish mail today

says Stephen Ireland wants to come back to ireland

interview with Stephen

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1214/irelands.html
    Ireland poised for Irish return in 2009

Sunday, 14 December 2008 12:16

Stephen Ireland's father has revealed his son intends to end his self-imposed international exile and make himself available to Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni in 2009.

The Manchester City midfielder, who has been hugely impressive so far this season, is believed to be ready to return to the fold after deciding to opt out of the international scene after the 2-2 draw away to Slovakia in September 2007.

Ireland's father Michael, himself a former Irish U-21 player with 16 caps, believes his talented son is ready to play for Ireland again as the country bids to land a spot at the 2010 World Cup.

Speaking in today's Irish Daily Star Sunday, the 39-year-old revealed: 'The country needs him, he's a good player and he'll go back in his own time. He's just focusing on his family right now and Man City. He's keeping his head down, but he'll be back hopefully next year.'

He added: 'I would never put pressure on him but I'd love to see him at the next World Cup.'

Asked if he is considering a return himself, the Cobh-born 22-year-old added: 'Yeah, yeah, but I'm trying to keep the head down at the moment.'

Ireland brought unwanted attention on himself when he asked to return home early after the trip to Slovakia and the Czech Republic after revealing to the media his granny had died.

However, it later transpired that he lied about his granny's death because his partner had miscarried, and the subsequent media backlash resulted in him making himself unavailable for international selection.

His performances this season have earned him rave reviews and made him a candidate for the Young Player of the Year award and it is believed his creativity and quality in the final third could be the crucial ingredient as Trapattoni looks to guide his adopted country to the finals in South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fair enough. Though I think he should start the first couple of competitive games he is available for on the bench as a point of principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't care about principle at this stage tbh. If it means breaking up the world class midfield partnership of Glenn Whelan and Darren Gibson he can jump straight into the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fan-****ing-tastic. His guile and goal-scoring ability could make the Trap system work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nuts to think for the next competitive match we could be fielding Stephen Reid and Stephen Ireland, rather then Glenn Whelan and Darren Gibson. Some difference in class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

deise59 wrote: »
    I don't care about principle at this stage tbh. If it means breaking up the world class midfield partnership of Glenn Whelan and Darren Gibson he can jump straight into the first 11.

Well you should. Because things like team spirit and morale will still be key ingredients for any Irish team that gets to a major championship - Stephen Ireland or no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    nuts to think for the next competitive match we could be fielding Stephen Reid and Stephen Ireland, rather then Glenn Whelan and Darren Gibson. Some difference in class!

somedifference alright. main point is the work rate, he's a box to box player, perfect foil for a holding players like S reid.

if he can play half as well as he has for city this year he'll be a huge improvement on what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I heard on the radio that there's an interview in one of today's papers where he says the bullying never happened and that he never had a wig, linkeh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Those quotes don't sound too promising to me. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

his dad said it never happened, the interview is in the star as well, it's with his dad not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I for one am delighted after reading the interview on rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Those quotes don't sound too promising to me. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Its definitely a matter of when and not if imo. I certainly think he'll be back before the next campaign anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just noticed that Ireland is 22 and his ould fella is 39.. Interesting..

Just noticed that Ireland is 22 and his ould fella is 39.. Interesting..

Gotta shove it in early mate, gotta be done :p

On topic, would be delighted to see him back & his comments this morning look like that's the case. He'd be our best midfielder and I'd hammer on us qualifying if he does!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Should we allow our best player by a country mile to rejoin the squad if he makes himself available?

Hell fecking yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not worth the grief he will cause in the Irish set up. I have nothing against him as a player but I despise him as a person. Let me remind you that he faked his Granny dying to get out of a match.

**** him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not worth the grief he will cause in the Irish set up. I have nothing against him as a player but I despise him as a person. Let me remind you that he faked his Granny dying to get out of a match.

**** him.

Oh god, i don't want to get into this again, but a 20 year old should be forgiven for making a stupid mistake when his girlfriend has just had a miscarraige. It wasn't to get out of a match, it was to be with his girlfriend. She was his main priority, believe it or not. What a pr*ck eh?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd give his oul lad a run-out ahead of Whelan, in all honesty.*

*Contains very little actual honesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Let me remind you that he faked his Granny dying to get out of a match.

**** him.

Lol. Did he dig up a corpse and claim it was her?

I'm happy for him to come back whenever he is ready. We don't have the luxury of leaving him out to teach him a lesson.

Question is when will he want to come back? What's changed between now and two months ago when Dunne said it was unlikely he was coming back in the near future.

I think the earliest he will return is after 2010 World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Delighted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I hope it happens but I think this story jumps the gun. I'II wait until I hear something from the lad himself. I'd also have him straight into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

If S**ty spend the expected multi zillions on new players in Jan and next Summer he'll need to be getting competitive football somewhere to put himself in the shop window :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

dogpile wrote: »
    If S**ty spend the expected multi zillions on new players in Jan and next Summer he'll need to be getting competitive football somewhere to put himself in the shop window :rolleyes:

You think he gets more attention playing for Ireland than being (arguably) Man City's best player this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Tom65 wrote: »
    You think he gets more attention playing for Ireland than being (arguably) Man City's best player this season?

Think he is suggesting he won't be a first teamer for much longer.

I would say that Ireland is the most secure player in the City squad, and if anything, City are going to have trouble holding onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHB wrote: »
    I would say that Ireland is the most secure player in the City squad, and if anything, City are going to have trouble holding onto him.

Who knows what is going to happen at City, if they are willing to pay weekly wages of 400k on a given player then they might be able to secure these big signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Playing for your country is a priviledge not a choice...Under no circumstances would I ever want a player like Ireland in the squad.

He's walked away, leave it at that. He should never again have the opportunity to play for his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

D.S. wrote: »
    Playing for your country is a priviledge not a choice...Under no circumstances would I ever want a player like Ireland in the squad.

He's walked away, leave it at that. He should never again have the opportunity to play for his country.

But it is a choice.

Ha ha - of course it is.

But for me - it's about pride. If you use any excuse whatsoever to try and get out of playing for your country you just don't deserve to wear the shirt. He doesn't deserve to win another cap and he shouldn't be given the opportunity. There is no doubt he is the best player currently we could play but I'd rather have 11 crap players who want to play for Ireland playing than 11 Steven Ireland's who'll play when they feel like it..

D.S. wrote: »
    Ha ha - of course it is.

But for me - it's about pride. If you use any excuse whatsoever to try and get out of playing for your country you just don't deserve to wear the shirt. He doesn't deserve to win another cap and he shouldn't be given the opportunity. There is no doubt he is the best player currently we could play but I'd rather have 11 crap players who want to play for Ireland playing than 11 Steven Ireland's who'll play when they feel like it..

So you would prefer to play with a team of Paul McShanes and not qualify for a World Cup?

Good to see you have a winning mentality.

Yes actually - I'd rather not win the World Cup with players who don't give a rats ar$e about really playing for their country..this is exactly the problem...you'd rather have a mercenary who plays when he feels like it and turns his back on his team-mates and country when he doesn't just so we can get a win..you have said it all there for me..

And the thing is...we are actually less likely in my view ever to win a world cup precisely because of an attitude like that...

The Greece's of this world have shown you are more likely to win with a "team of Mcshane's" who actually play like a team than a team of Stephen Ireland's who turn up when they feel like it.

Anyway - saying I don't have a winning mentality is disingenous. I want Ireland to win as much as the next guy. But not at the expense of our national pride. Something, I genuinely think is slipping out of the game...

Pride schmide. There is zero loyalty in football these days and there are mercenaries in every team. It isn't a good thing but it's a fact of the game.

In order to qualify for the World Cup, Ireland (the country) needs its best players fit and available. Outside our first eleven the options for quality players is extremely limited. A couple of injuries, a la Steven Reid, and we're up shit creek. We are not in the position to be able to reject class players.

If you are happy with your feet up at home in 2010 cheering on whoever plays England then fair enough. I would much rather be over in South Africa draped in a tri-colour cheering on Stephen Ireland and the rest of the squad.

We'll just have to agree to disagree so..

I think we've a better chance of winning with an average team that actually gels and plays for each other and with pride..

In reality, bringing Ireland is more likely to upset the balance of the team..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    So you would prefer to play with a team of Paul McShanes and not qualify for a World Cup?

Good to see you have a winning mentality.

What's the point in going to a WC with a team of 11 Stephen Irelands if there not going to bother turning up for it?

The fact of the matter is me and my mates who play football every Tuesday gel pretty well, but that doesn't mean we'll be good enough to qualify for the world cup.

I don't care how good Whelan and Gibson gel, they are not (currently) good enough for us to qualify.

Ireland is probably the best Irish player at this moment in time. If somebody has a problem gelling with him, its their problem. We need his quality, desperately. If that means that Doyle (random name) or whoever apparently will be unable to gel with him, that's their problem.

A kid, in a bad situation, who tried to do what was best for his girlfriend who had a miscarraige, and made some pretty bad mistakes. I'm not gona lavish praise on him for it, but I'm going to forgive and forget pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whelan and Gibson gelling together? Jesus come right off it! Whelan looked average. not great mind, in two games when S.Reid was playing. Both Whelan and Gibson looked terrible against the Cypriots.

I can't see people really minding Ireland returning, he was our best player in the last campaign for a start. Furthermore, it is not like the lads just saw off Bulgaria and Italy in their opening three games-we only beat Georgia and Cyprus-in effect they should want Ireland back for the biggest tests.

However, not playing a fit and willing Andy Reid is an even bigger sin-especially given his performance on Sunday. I would play Ireland and Reid in the same team-Ireland on the right, and someone like Carsley partnering Andy (I would sttle for Whelan if his game time improves even more-depends on whether you would prefer an experienced head playing really well at the top end of the Championship or a younger player with less ability/experience playing fairly average (if at all!) at the wrong end of the premiership.
    PHB wrote: »
    A kid, in a bad situation, who tried to do what was best for his girlfriend who had a miscarraige, and made some pretty bad mistakes. I'm not gona lavish praise on him for it, but I'm going to forgive and forget pretty quickly.

+100 for this. The amount of times I hear this in the media about the lieing about his grandmother's death WITHOUT some sort of reference to the fact his GF just had a miscarriage is insane. Honestly, they make it sound like he simply wanted to take the evening off and watch a movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement