Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The guy is class on a football pitch, by far the best performing irish player this season. If he wanted to come back and play I'd offer to drive over and collect him myself :)

I want to see Ireland in South Africa, they are so much more likely to be there with Stephen Ireland.

Everyone goes on about what Dick he is when you've no idea what he's like, i kinda used to have the same opinion if i was being totally honest until i had a good think about it.

He was a confused young lad that made some bad decisions, Doesn't every one?

Also if I was in S.Ireland's current situation I would have been looking on sites such as boards.ie to see what people in Ireland were saying about me. Im sure the fact that 75% of people saying he's a dick is just urging him to come back.

If he truely wants to come back and play I'd let him play, I dont think he owes us an apology, in fact i think thats a load of shite, whats he apologising for?

Now saying that I wouldnt let him play in the world cup if he wasn't involved in getting us there. But i would welcome him back for the following Euro campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Good- ish news. But lest we forget all the talk is from his dad, we just have one random comment from S Ireland himself.

He strongly indicated an imminent return when Sven was in charge, Ive heard word Hughes tried to put him off it.

Either way, 2009 must mean the next match (Feb or March? Remind me). Later aint acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't believe the attitude of some people on this thread. Talk about deluded.

Anyone who'd prefer to be sat a year and a half from now watching Bulgaria play Japan, or the equivalent, thinking to themselves, 'Ah well we're not there ourselves but at least young Gibson and Whelan did their best and proved they were patriots' are well and truly off their rocker.

I punched the air when I read Stephen Ireland might return in 2009. Why? Because I want to actually see my country represented. The best chance for this to happen is through fielding our best players. It's not rocket science. We have the weakest central midfield options I've ever seen in my time watching the Irish team and to close the door on Stephen Ireland if he wanted to return would be absolutely bonkers.

I also don't understand this desire that seems to be inherent in the Irish character that demands everyone be flag-waving, bloody patriots. You see these idiot celebrities on TV feeding this notion going on about how Irish they are. 'Ah we're Boyzone we're so Irish aren't we? Bejaysus' and so on. It's a load of my arse.

I consider myself patriotic and I don't need to see others going on about how patriotic they are in order to feel this way. Furthermore, the best chance to see patriotic fervour in the country would be if we made the World Cup, so you'd think those that are so obsessed with Irish patriotism would actually see the benefits in having him back.

Typical Irish outlook though. Cut off your nose to spite your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

id like to see him back just so this thread can end, but of course then we would have the 'should we get rid of stephen ireland' thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

PHB wrote: »
    I would say that Ireland is the most secure player in the City squad, and if anything, City are going to have trouble holding onto him.

Maybe, but I would say that an owner who's among the worlds wealthiest won't like seeing his plaything floundering in midtable obscurity for too long...the new revolution at City could make the Russian revolution at Chelsea look like a childrens party and not much homegrown talent survived that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

can't understand the controversy tbh. if he wants to play, fair enough, why not let him give it a lash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

dogpile wrote: »
    Maybe, but I would say that an owner who's among the worlds wealthiest won't like seeing his plaything floundering in midtable obscurity for too long...the new revolution at City could make the Russian revolution at Chelsea look like a childrens party and not much homegrown talent survived that

mid table would be a dream, were facing relegation at the moment my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jesus, the guy doesn't want to play.

Short of doing a Mr T-style kidnap and flying him over, what can actually be done at this stage?

Do you expect a manager of Trapp's experience to go begging to Manchester every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We have the weakest central midfield options I've ever seen in my time watching the Irish team and to close the door on Stephen Ireland if he wanted to return would be absolutely bonkers.
    I wouldn't go that far. It wasn't so long ago I rated Graham Kavanagh as our best central midfielder with Holland, Kilbane and Kinsella the others competing for that position. I think we've a lot better options than the ones Trap is choosing.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Jesus, the guy doesn't want to play.

Short of doing a Mr T-style kidnap and flying him over, what can actually be done at this stage?

Do you expect a manager of Trapp's experience to go begging to Manchester every week?
    Most recent update from his dad.

"He's keeping his head down but he'll be back, hopefully, next year."

Journalist then asks Stephen over the phone if it was true he was planning a return in 2009. He replied:

"Yeah, yeah, but I'm just trying to keep my head down at the moment."

Similar words from the 2 of them who've obviously been talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

to simply cast aside a guy aged 22 or less for the rest of his international carreer is simply not right. even people convicted of murder aged 22 or less can be back amongst society before the equivalent age a footballer might retire from footie.

he made a miastake. move on. play him or dont we still will not be making anappearance in south africa. but playing someone so young can only bode well for the future. please do not cut off your nose to spite your face.

also i read alot of people's opinions in this thread saying a player had nothing to do with qualifying then he shouldnt play in the finals. someone should tell sweden this! hasnt henrik larrson played exclusively in finals for sweden for about 45 years now..i dunno how many times this guy has come out of international retirement to play in a world cup or whatever, it is more than once. nedved did it. zidane even did it. people on here dont really think about things properly and thats how so many arguments and disagreements occur. the only reason that people would have a problem with steven ireland coming back into the fold for a world cup after not participating in the qualifiers must be down to his age then i would assume..cos nobody batted an eyelid when the players above did it.

oh and as for playing for your country being an honour and not a chore..blah blah blah, everybody knows that club football is more important. so many players skip internationals and then play that weekend for their country, roy keane did it for years. granted mostly only for friendlies but the point still applies unless the saying needs to be changed to playing in competitive internationals for your country should be an honour not a chore..never heard this said tho.

get ireland back, get finnan back, get andy o brien back and lee carsley for sure. dont beg anybody but dont send anyone away equally

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if u dont want stephen ireland playing for ireland, u are thick. simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why does this thread keep popping back up:confused: Stephen Ireland does not want to play for Ireland at the moment, its his decision and there has been no story about it for a while.

Stephen Ireland doesn't want to play for his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why does this thread keep popping back up:confused: Stephen Ireland does not want to play for Ireland at the moment, its his decision and there has been no story about it for a while.
    Not quite true his father has indicated he may come out of retirement in 2009 and I for one would welcome him back to the Irish set up, beggers cant be choosers! :pac:
    "The country needs him," said his father. "He's a good player and he'll go back in his own time.

"He's just focusing on his family right now, and Man City. He's keeping his head down but he'll be back, hopefully, next year.

"I would never put pressure on him but I'd love to see him in the next World Cup."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/city-ace-ireland-hints-at-return-to-green-fold-1574870.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Only a few posts up someone asked the same question.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58275784&postcount=160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

To say Steven Ireland doesn't want to play for Ireland
    at the minute is disrespectful to the whole nation. He should just piss off announce his international retirement and never bother coming back here. I dont care whats wrong with his mental state i really dont, apparently its the biggest honour to play for your country and he wont so let him off and never bring him back:mad:

god that smiley really doesn't portray how annoyed it actually makes me :mad::mad::mad::mad: there we go much better :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

^^^ Another one happy to settle for mediocrity.

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    ^^^ Another one happy to settle for mediocrity.

its not about mediocrity or anything i know he's prob the best irish player around at the minute but he just refuses to play.
    if we qualify and he wants to play he'll be stealing someones place who actually helped the cause and thats why he shouldn't be brought back.

Mediocrity with players like McGeady thats the best we can hope for. Thats another discussion for another day tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Iang87 wrote: »
    its not about mediocrity or anything i know he's prob the best irish player around at the minute but he just refuses to play.
    if we qualify and he wants to play he'll be stealing someones place who actually helped the cause and thats why he shouldn't be brought back.

And if he comes back during the qualifiers and is the catalyst for us qualifying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He'd replace a reserve player more than likely IF the scenario came true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To say Steven Ireland doesn't want to play for Ireland
    at the minute is disrespectful to the whole nation. He should just piss off announce his international retirement and never bother coming back here. I dont care whats wrong with his mental state i really dont, apparently its the biggest honour to play for your country and he wont so let him off and never bring him back:mad:

What have you ever done for Ireland?

Christ at least he has represented us and been a top scorer in an otherwise dismal campaign. The fans should have absolutely no say on whether or not he comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

noodler wrote: »
    The fans should have absolutely no say on whether or not he comes back.

They don't, and if the manager is worth his salt, they won't.

Neither will the other players tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Des wrote: »

Neither will the other players tbh.

Agree with you Des that the fans have fcuk all to do with it, but in fairness i think the players should be at least consulted on it, if its going to disrupt the morale etc a happy dressingroom is paramount particullary at international level imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Agree with you Des that the fans have fcuk all to do with it, but in fairness i think the players should be at least consulted on it, if its going to disrupt the morale etc a happy dressingroom is paramount particullary at international level imo

wasnt there rumours going around that stephen and Robbie hate each other

but thats probly just rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well if your to believe most of the rumours, and some of them started by Stephen Ireland himself, I can't imagine anyone is too fond of the chap what with him being as mad as a box of frogs :D another gifted Corkman divides the countries opinions im seen a trend Ted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think we need a player of his quality in the side, he's probably Ireland's most gifted player at this moment in time. I mean, Keane came back into the fold so brilliantly in the qualifying campaign after the '02 WC. I really don't think the morale of the squad / whether he's liked or not has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Fook that!! as mentioned if Trap is worth one cent none of that ****e will matter. Robbie has much more relevant things to worry about if true, as captain he'll have to show maturity and character and welcome him back publicly at a press conference etc. I doubt R. Dunne will allow any bull**** amongst the squad as he's one of our best/ experienced players and mates with Ireland. Its about respect, plenty of good players over the years who were successful and didn't get along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I dont think we should bother chasing him to come back at this stage but if he does decide to make himself available he should be made to sit on the bench for a few games and fight his way back into the team.

Personally i think he's a twat & dosent deserve to wear the irish jersey again. I couldnt give a hoot weather he dose come back but realistically if he makes himself available he is too good a player to ignore in the long run

• Advertisement

As said before, you'd think the guy was Pele. As if him coming back would be the make or break of the team's qualification chances. He's a good player, currently being 'the catalyst' in a bottom-four team. I'd think he could do a good job for us, but I can't see how he can be forced back. And how much does Trapp really rate him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

theres no doughting he's a very good player

irelands best midfielder imo

if he wants back, id welcome back him with open arms

I want to see ireland in the world cup

he made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes
    he shouldn't be hold against him,if he comes back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Des wrote: »

if the manager is worth his salt he'll do all he can to get the best current irish player to play for his country. its a crime that this is going on

As said before, you'd think the guy was Pele. As if him coming back would be the make or break of the team's qualification chances. He's a good player, currently being 'the catalyst' in a bottom-four team. I'd think he could do a good job for us, but I can't see how he can be forced back. And how much does Trapp really rate him?

Pointless saying that IMO. Even with my UCD Superleague team I would want our best striker there every week. You wouldn't call him Pele but his relative importance to us is massive.

Pointless saying that IMO. Even with my UCD Superleague team I would want our best striker there every week. You wouldn't call him Pele but his relative importance to us is massive.

Sure, but the endless speculation has an effect on everyone - fans and squad.

It's like the longer he's absent, the more his worth is stressed. We're in the middle of a qualification campaign.

Trapp may not even rate him, but if he does, call him up once more and have a chat, but then close the door for good if no joy. SI just may not want to play, which is his choice entirely.

What have you ever done for Ireland?

Christ at least he has represented us and been a top scorer in an otherwise dismal campaign. The fans should have absolutely no say on whether or not he comes back.

what have you done for Ireland. Ya he represented us showed us what a talent he was then left, if that was a girl in a nightclub she'd be a pricktease, which in turn makes him a little bitch who refuses to play for his country

• Advertisement

what have you done for Ireland. Ya he represented us showed us what a talent he was then left, if that was a girl in a nightclub she'd be a pricktease, which in turn makes him a little bitch who refuses to play for his country

You must have been on the debating team in Secondary School.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

You must be on the debating team in Secondary School.

Thats more like it.:)

I'm witty as hell but I don't get that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

tense change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd take him back in a second.
    He's a phenomenal talent, the best Irish player atm and will be keeping his place in a City team who could afford anyone they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ont know if ive ever posted before in this thread, i dont think so

i do defend him, to a lot of people, and ill tell ye all why.
    its a long post, read it if ye want

you have to consider, some people do not have a massive urge to play for their country. it doesnt make them less of a person, it just means they dont see it as a big deal. i dont have a problem with that.

Stephen ireland played for us underage. Then, when he was playing for u18's under new manager brian Kerr, he was dropped. thats fair enough, no issues. he wasnt in the squad, so watched from the stands. He was told by kerr he would start the next game. he was then dropped again, and again told to sit in the stands. Ireland had no issue with this, but he sadi he had a big game coming up for City reserves, would it be ok if he went back to manchester to get prepared. He wasnt sulking, just saw no point in sitting in the stands. I see no issue with this either. Kerr told him to take off his tracksuit and that he would never play for ireland again.

Ireland went back to manchester. Kerr became manager of the full irish team and he was never called up. no one from the FAI ever called him, no one ever tried to work it out, or broker a meeting to get them speaking, nothing. he never spoke publically about this either, never slagged kerr off. Now to me, the FAI let him down here, a 17 year old kid told he'd never play for his country again. Perhaps this sowed the seeds of doubt as to whether he likes playing for us.

Kerr leaves and he is called up, impressing a good bit, blah blah blah.

Now he has always been conscious of his hair. he has gone bald from an early age, around 19 or 20. regardless of how much money of how good he is, that would be hard for any lad. i know it would be hard for me at this age and im 26. you might say you'd be grand, well done if so. but not everyone is confident. when he was called up to irelands team, supposedly got a bit of stick. banter like you'd get at work anywhere, im sure he laughed it off but under it all he was mortified id say. he then got hair plugs, to try and cover it up. Supposedly, one ireland player held him to the ground and started pulling his hair, asking was it a wig, while everyone else laughed. Id be fúcking bulling, mortified.
    this too, had to have an effect on how he viewed the national team.

then the controversy. i wont defend him massively on that. But consider this, his girlfriend had has a miscarriage. She rang the FAI and asked to speak to him. he was unavailable. She said he has to come home. the person asked why. Would you expect any 19 year old girl to tell a perfect stranger over the phone "i have had a miscarraige"
    she lied, and said his granny died. Stephen went home, she told him the truth. he said nothing of it, until the media got wind. they said sure your granny is alive. He panicked and then said "oh it was the other one" as he didnt want his girlfriend to be seen as a liar. Which one of us would not do the same?
    then the ****e he got from the media, id say he just said **** it, i dont need this.

I dont defend him for the lying, but i understand it.

how people can vilify him when in reality, the FAI and irish football team has done ****ing nothing for him, when he needed them to, is beyond me.

For the record, im not a city fan, im a leeds one so have no allegiance for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Something missing in the underage story there, was the game not in Cork (he's from Cobh) and all his family and mates turned up - the game he was told he was playing - and he wasn't on the bench...

The whole story is just another chapter in mis management and ballsups involving a bunch of amateurs trying to manage a bunch of professional players

You must have been on the debating team in Secondary School.

debating team what has that got to do with steven Irelands non playing for his country. i'm aware that my nightclub girl comment isn't about the topic either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

event wrote: »

Now he has always been conscious of his hair. he has gone bald from an early age, around 19 or 20. regardless of how much money of how good he is, that would be hard for any lad.

No, it wouldn't.

It happened to me, I was going baldy at 16. I'm 29 now and could be the next Kojak.

event wrote: »

Fair points, but the Kerr thing - if true - should have died with Kerr. Why is this an issue two managers down the line?

As for the hair, I doubt the guy came through professional football dressing rooms without some kind of ribbing before. Come on, it's male pattern baldness, not leprosy.

And as for the miscarriage, I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure most people are prepared to forget the whole thing.

I'm not slating the guy at all though. I'd like to see him back, but I'm just saying there is a limit to how many times he can be asked to come back into the fold, and a limit to how much the question should hang over the squad during a qualification campaign.

Do any of us really know what has transpired?

For all you know, he may not figure in Trapp's plans anyway, hence the lack of rapprochement.

I agree though, that the last bunch you want to try and sift through all this mess are the clowns in Merrion Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Fair points, but the Kerr thing - if true - should have died with Kerr. Why is this an issue two managers down the line?

should have, but didnt
    if you were in a big company as an intern and a manaager basically ****ed you off, you'd be annoyed. I doubt anyone would hold it against you if you were still a bit pissed off a few years later, especially of the other managers, who wree still there, had done nothing to help you.
    As for the hair, I doubt the guy came through professional football dressing rooms without some kind of ribbing before. Come on, it's male pattern baldness, not leprosy.

yeah i know, but doesnt mean he doesnt get embarrassed.
    id be embarrased about it, some people just dont like being slagged that much, so what?

anyway, i dont want to get into it, its just my feelings on it and dont want to get into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Another interview with him in the Sunday World today (awful interview mind, less than a quarter of it was actually quotes from him). Gave a less than emphatic answer, saying that so much had happened behind the scenes he wasnt sure if too much had happened for him to go back.

Hope to god Hughes gets the boot. Sven was supportive and encouraging for him to go back, Ive heard the odd word that Hughes put him off it again. Coupled with him all but saying his return would be imminent around the time Trap took over, and the attitude seemingly immediately changing when Sven left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'd be even more disappointed (don't like him as it is) with him if I thought anything Mark Hughes is saying would have a big bearing on him, in terms of whether or not he is willing to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

any truth in these rumours today that he's had fresh talks with Trap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Trilla wrote: »
    any truth in these rumours today that he's had fresh talks with Trap?
    according to the star he will be back for the next match

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=35423

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement