Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hope his club form doesn't suffer

Des wrote: »
    I hope his club form doesn't suffer

So does someone else we know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Back for the next game? Lovely. I'll wear my City jersey to it so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Woohoo

couldn't be happier, and I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

The Star site isn't up yet, anyone read the article, are there any comments from him confirming it, or is it his family??

Interesting to see who makes way?

Gibson, Whealan- isn't A Reid expected back around April from memory?? wonder if there's any chance he'll be back for Bulgaria- March 28th, Italy- April 1st, extremely unlikely I know, but what a midfield if he came back

Duff- Ireland- Reid- McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

God I hope this is true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i wouldnt trust the star tbh, but hopefully its true, hes been outstanding for us this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i dislike paul hyland immensely, he just writes anything that comes into his head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What a completely unneccessary, sh*t-stirring final paragraph:
    The Irish boss will immidately open himself to further criticsm from those who believe he is wrong to exclude Andy Reid from his plans if he selects Ireland and continues to ignore the Sunderland man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Excellent news if true, we really need a midfielder who can actually do something with the ball

he always writes crap like that, i just stopped reading his stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

bigstar wrote: »
    i dislike paul hyland immensely, he just writes anything that comes into his head

You mean something actually comes into his head? Paul Hyland is a talentless hack that without Roy Keane would never have existed. All he has written about his entire life is Roy Keane and the odd bit on Ireland. Probably only doing now as Keane is no longer in a job.

Also I think surpassed his level of grammar and spelling when I left senior infants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

iregk wrote: »
    Also I think surpassed is level of grammar and spelling when I left senior infants.

hahahaha:)

didn't hyland start out writing in the gossip column of that rag?

what a shít "journalist" anyway.

I hate him.

His opinion changes more than a changey thing on the changeyist day of the year.

God, I hate that paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Paul Collins had this scoop on the wireless this mornin & we all know whatever P.C says is gospel:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Paul Collins

ah God that man!

Paul Collins had this scoop on the wireless this mornin & we all know whatever P.C says is gospel:)

Is that the fella who does be on with Dempsey?

I hate him too. And I hate the way Dempsey pretends to be interested in sport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Des wrote: »
    Is that the fella who does be on with Dempsey?

I hate him too. And I hate the way Dempsey pretends to be interested in sport too.

Thats him alright - plays the culchie card to the max. Biggest Ga head I've ever heard on the radio, bless him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Thats him alright - plays the culchie card to the max. Biggest Ga head I've ever heard on the radio, bless him!

from the back of Tipp somewhere isnt he.loves the hurlin' so he does

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Welcome back baldy, superman kaks, pink alloys and all!
    Incredible talent and might just help get us to South Africa.
    The truth is you make exceptions for super-stars cause its so rare we have them. We done it for Mcgrath we done it for Keane so lets just hope this guy will eventually be it that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd wonder what sort of reception he would get from the fans if he played at this stage, having left it for so long?
    Does anybody think it is true or not?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I'd wonder what sort of reception he would get from the fans if he played at this stage, having left it for so long?

Any pleb who goes out and boos him, or indeed any player playing for the team they are supporting, is a complete and utter clown of the very highest order.

Although, given the cut of some of the people who go to Ireland games, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

once the fans arent complete tools a non-bad reception, we need players of his ilk happy and playing for Ireland. If Stephen Reid wasnt injured we would have a class midfield imo that Trao actually would play, Duff, McGeady, Reid and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

once the fans arent complete tools a non-bad reception, we need players of his ilk happy and playing for Ireland. If Stephen Reid wasnt injured we would have a class midfield imo that Trao actually would play, Duff, McGeady, Reid and Ireland.
    The two Stephens in midfield would be fantastic for us, what a partnership.

And Des I gave you a thumbs up there, couldn't agree more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    The two Stephens in midfield would be fantastic for us, what a partnership.

yup what a stark contrast that would/will be from our current midfield duo of Whelan and Gibson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

anyone that would go out to support the team.... and boo him....well id be ashamed to be irish.

doubt it will happen...maybe a cuple of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tomthepost wrote: »
    We done it for Mcgrath we done it for Keane so lets just hope this guy will eventually be it that category.

Let's not lose the run of ourselves here.

I would have been one of the people on the if-he-doesn't-want-play-close-the-door side, but obviously i'd be happy to see him back, and would hate to see any player who gave it their all getting a bad reception.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pwd wrote: »

RTÉ still using the "GrannyGate" term

*facepalm*

I can't wait to see him play for Ireland again, be it next month or in 5 years time. His talent is beyond question, and it's rare that a City player would draw so much praise from a United fan! (I'm not getting into the debate on his mentality).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd certainly trust a midfield pairing of S.Reid and A.Reid wouldn't be too attacking so a midfield trio with S.Ireland would be fantastic. We'd be up there with the tier 2 teams without a doubt. Obviously not going to happen under Trap but would be great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anyone reading anything into Trap personally announcing the squad at a conference tomorrow at a pretty early stage? The Sunday World claims alot of rumour is circulating amongst players regarding him coming back.

Could be a formal statement regarding his position on Andy Reid either I suppose. However, with all that is going on at Man City, the cynic might suggest that Stephen is keen to get back and show off his skills to the Italians in April and gain interest from over there should his position at City be threatened.

Couldnt give a toss what his reasons are tbh, we need him urgently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Today's Star say he won't be back as he's still made no contact. The Independent says the same. They also say Trap texted him on Christmas day. He'll be back but it's just a question of when. My guess is it won't be until the next campaign if he's not in tomorrows squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

He's got a new car now, so maybe he's sorting himself out mentally :D

1zbghdu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cupthehand wrote: »
    He's got a new car now, so maybe he's sorting himself out mentally :D

If that is him, it's a sure benchmark of his development as a top player as his motors are getting more tasteless. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

stovelid wrote: »
    If that is him, it's a sure benchmark of his development as a top player as his motors are getting more tasteless. :)

Ah it's way nicer than the pink range rover in fairness...

Apparently the rims have his number 7 on them :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1161824/STEPHEN-IRELAND-EXCLUSIVE-Dead-grandmothers-Daddy-Dick-pink-wheels--A-stories-look-ridiculous-Ive-change-that.html

Note, I'm not trying to shít stir, I don't want to try start another should he/shouldn't he debate. It's just an excellent article on an excellent player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

stephen ireland should play for ireland.

anyone that thinks otherwise is WRONG
    it really is that simple. why over complicate things with the further use of words?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mods, Stephen Ireland superthread please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Jazzy wrote: »
    stephen ireland should play for ireland

nobody in any profession in any country should work somewhere theyre not comfortable working in

it doesnt change for footballers just coz theyre on big money. if ireland wants to represent the national team or not, its entirely up to him. theres no should or shouldnt involved in it

Daysha wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1161824/STEPHEN-IRELAND-EXCLUSIVE-Dead-grandmothers-Daddy-Dick-pink-wheels--A-stories-look-ridiculous-Ive-change-that.html

Note, I'm not trying to shít stir, I don't want to try start another should he/shouldn't he debate. It's just an excellent article on an excellent player.

Yeah really great interview. He actually talks a hell of a lot of sense in interviews.

The change in him over the past year is fantastic. He's now our most important player, and long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Lads i know i've been a wum when it came to the national team before but in all seriousness this time, whats in this thread is exactly the small mindedness that has turned me off the "Irish" national team and exactly why i'll never support them again.

Honestly, i don't think another nation in the world would treat Stephen Ireland the way this one does. Begging him to come back despite the fact he walked out the country he apparently loved and has consistantly stuck 2 fingers since, as i said it's small minded and is typical of the "Irish" national team.

It doesn't matter how good a player he is, he left his country in the lurch. Tell what the difference is between him and Roy Keane? Yet people who call Keane a traitor are begging for Ireland to come back. To me the only differnce is that even if you think Keane was wrong in Siapan, you can't doubt his overall good intentions. Why is Stephen Ireland doing this? Because he's a selfish pr*ck and he does't give a sh*te about the national team and yet most people still want him back.

By all means make a point about Ireland on whatever side of the debate but please no one else resort to childish name calling.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

In fairness Xavi i'm not calling anyone on Boards.ie a name.

• Advertisement

Anto McC wrote: »
    In fairness Xavi i'm not calling anyone on Boards.ie a name.

Charter -
    Minor Offences (including but not limited to):

Abuse of players.
    Threadspoiling
    Flamebaiting in threads.
    Debating moderation in threads.
    Mild flaming or trolling.
    Provocation.
    Derailing or off topic posting in super threads.
    Accusing a member of trolling/being a troll
    Misuse of the Reported Post system
    Backseat moderating
    Abusing through the thanks system (thanking posts that break the rules)

Rules be rules, and it's the same for everyone.

I'm not derailing this anymore but you can PM me if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Daysha wrote: »

Great article and not a bad season he is having either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

can someone copy and paste that interview, mail website won't work for me...

STEPHEN IRELAND EXCLUSIVE: Dead grandmothers, 'Daddy Dick', pink wheels... A few stories made me look ridiculous and I've had to change that

Stephen Ireland’s footballing hero was born in the same Irish county and played in the same English city. His name is Roy Keane. On his recent journey from ridicule to respect, it would appear Manchester City’s midfielder has relied on some of the philosophy that ran through Keane’s very soul.

'I take football very seriously,’ Ireland said. 'I don’t think I’m having a good enough season. I should have scored more goals, delivered more assists. I am a big believer in looking in the mirror and saying, "Are you good enough? Did you do good enough today? Did you fight hard enough?"

'If something is not going right in a match then you need a player who can spark something off. I want that player to be me.

'It’s like Keane was at Manchester United. Whenever things were getting hot and heavy for them, Keane would just get in there and hit someone hard — someone like Zinedine Zidane — and everyone would be like: "Look at that!" They would take their lead from that and they would be off and running. In my head, that’s me. That’s the person I want to be.’

As well as place of birth, Cork in the Republic of Ireland, and a philosophy, Ireland and Keane have something else in common. Both fell out with their country, or their country’s football to be precise.

But while Keane’s problem was the state of a World Cup training facility, Ireland’s international exile came after he invented the death of two grandmothers in September 2007. So how does Ireland feel about that when he looks in the mirror?

Ireland takes a deep breath and prepares to tell his story.

'Things happened to me that made me look ridiculous,’ he responds. 'They became the main part of me and I have had to change that. Whenever I used to see my name in the paper it was: "Stephen Ireland, comma, grandmas, website, pink wheels, blah blah."

'Now I just want it to be, "Stephen Ireland did something good on the field today." I think I am close to that. I hear City fans talking and telling me how happy they are with what I do for them on the field. That’s good.’

When Ireland shaves, who does he see staring back?

Is it the guy who is first pick on Mark Hughes’s City team sheet and scorer of 10 important goals this season, or the young fool who lied to the FA of Ireland, went by the web page moniker 'Daddy Dick’ and once drove a 4x4 with pink wheels?

'A year ago it was different,’ he admitted. 'They were coming down on me hard and I deserved it. But the situation was in my own hands.

'I got myself into the situation and now I have got myself out of it. I think now I am the person I wanted to be and needed to be. The other stuff is gone.’

That Ireland has chosen to speak in such detail about his life and his mistakes is a sign that he is moving on. A year ago he was a laughing stock. Now he is arguably City’s most important player.

We talk, at Ireland’s behest, in a private room at the Francis House Children’s Hospice in Didsbury, Manchester, where I have been invited by the player to promote his charity — the Stephen Ireland Foundation. It has raised thousands of pounds for the hospice in only a year.

The deal offered by him is simple: The foundation receives a donation from Sportsmail and Stephen Ireland will talk frankly.

Some of the subjects are uncomfortable but he is honest company and he is as good as his word.

So let’s deal with the really bad stuff first.

It’s September 8, 2007 in Bratislava. Slovakia v Republic of Ireland. Forty-five minutes before kick-off. Ireland has just taken a call from his girlfriend, Jessica. She has suffered a miscarriage.

'I passed the manager Steve Staunton in the corridor and he said: "Is everything all right?",’ Ireland recalled. 'That was the exact moment it all went wrong.

'I should just have told him the truth. He is such a good person. I would have trusted him with my life. So why didn’t I trust him with the truth? I don’t know. I panicked and told him there had been a death in my family. I said I had to get back and he said: "OK".

'After I played in the game I took a private jet back to Manchester. Before I left I asked that the press be told it was a family matter, no more. By the time I got off the plane everybody knew — or thought — that my grandmother was dead. The story had leaked. It went from strength to strength and I was right in the middle of it. It was a nightmare.’

The exact details of what followed are hard to ascertain. Ireland’s recollection is vague, in places. But over the next 24 hours, as his country prepared for their next game without him, one lie somehow became two when it emerged his maternal grandmother Patricia Tallon was alive and well.

Ireland’s subsequent claim that it was his other grandmother, Brenda Kitchener, who had passed away led only to ridicule, reprimand, an apology to the FAI and an international exile that the 22-year-old seems reluctant to end.

'I actually rang my nan and she was laughing,’ he said. 'But when it emerged that she was alive then everything just spiralled and got much worse.

'All of a sudden I found myself in a big hole and I couldn’t get out of it. There were so many stories out there and when I got to the end of the season I just realised that I had to somehow draw a line under it all.’

Told here for the first time in detail, it’s a remarkable tale of a young man in the grip of panic.

But, for Ireland, it wasn’t the lowest point of his football career.

May 11, 2008, on the A1 between Middlesbrough and Manchester. He is in his girlfriend’s car. 'It was the last day of the season and we had lost 8-1 at Boro,’ he remembers. 'I didn’t get the team bus. I got Jessica to drive me home and I thought to myself: "This can’t carry on. My career and my reputation are not right."

'After that game we didn’t even get a b******ing. I was so depressed at seeing that people didn’t really care. People were laughing. It was the worst moment of all for me.

'I decided that wasn’t a route I was going down. I didn’t want to live my life travelling home from big defeats with a smile on my face. I just felt like I had to change something after everything that had happened. So, the next day I started training. I went up to the hills in Glossop with a martial arts expert, training from 7 to 11am. I dedicated my whole summer to working with this guy.

'I came back super fit and wanted to be number one in the team.’

Walking through the remarkable Francis House complex with Ireland last week, it was impossible not to be struck by his relaxed, comfortable manner. He is taller than he looks on the field. He carries the air of confidence.

But the thing that really makes some of his mistakes so astounding is his background, and the desire it took to arrive in the Barclays Premier League in the first place.

A county hurling and gaelic football player, he nevertheless found happiness with a round ball at his feet. Like Keane, he played for the Cobh Ramblers club as a teenager and received invitations for trials from 22 British clubs when he was only 12.

'But I had this problem on my knee,’ he said. 'My muscles were outgrowing my bones. If my trousers rubbed against it or if I knocked it against a table I would be in agony, in bed for days. But I still played.

'The physios told me to take three months off but I just couldn’t. I wanted to get to England to play football. I was having trials every weekend, always a different team. I was exhausted. I went to 11 trials of the 22. I went to Celtic but my knee was so bad I couldn’t play. I just walked round for four days.

'Eventually City just felt like the right club. I was supposed to come when I was 17 but came at 15 to get a head start. But still the knee problem was there, nagging at me, stopping me.

'I had it for the first two or three years I was at City. I would have two weeks in the club then a month out. The staff at the academy said they were going to wrap me up in cotton wool and I hardly played for the first two years. It turned out to be the best thing to do.’

Needing £2million of charitable funding a year just to keep going, Francis House Children’s Hospice is a refuge for terminally-ill children and their families.

Providing medical, educational and recreational assistance for the children, it is an inspiring environment. Ultimately, however, it is a place where many youngsters come to die. Ireland is at ease around them.

'When I first came I knew this was the charity I wanted to help,’ explained Ireland, a father of three. 'The kids are amazing. It’s a sad place but a family place. All I do is try to help. I had kids young and it’s heartbreaking when you hear these stories. But I am relaxed here.’

Ireland raises money by auctioning signed shirts from team-mates and opponents through his website. Many of the game’s big names have already helped. This summer he is planning a 24-hour golf tournament in Marbella.
    Stephen Ireland with his girlfriend Jessica

'I didn’t start it looking for publicity but now I just want to push it as far as I can,’ he added.

That Ireland has been able to call on the likes of Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Robinho for help with his charity says much for his standing in football.

A year ago, talk of Ireland moving in such company would have been laughed out of Eastlands. Not any more.

But there are still other things for us to address.

What was that 'Daddy Dick’ website about? And what about the pink wheels?

'The car was Jessica’s,’ Ireland said with a huge grin. 'I only drove it once. Just my luck it was photographed and ended up in the News of the World. We sold it soon after as someone scraped a key down it.

'And the web page? That was one of my best friends from home. He moved to Australia and said it was a way we could keep in touch.

'I didn’t know how to start or what to do so he edited the whole thing. He gave me that stupid name and under the heading: "What do I hate?" he wrote: "Football". It was all just sarcastic. It was just young lads messing around. And then it got into the press. It was just the timing. I was sitting there at home thinking: "What next?"

Happily for Ireland, there has been only good news since that period in his life when the bad publicity threatened to sweep him towards oblivion.

Even the hate mail from football fans in Ireland has ceased, even if he is still reluctant to consider a return for his country.

'When I first got in to the Irish squad when I was 17 I was so proud,’ he reflected. 'It’s not that I am not patriotic and I know much of this is my fault. But it’s sad the way some people still want to criticise me. I know the Irish thing will take longer to fix. I just think I am quite happy as I am right now.

'I read in the press that (Giovanni) Trapattoni and Liam Brady have said they have contacted me. Well, they haven’t. That’s all I can say. Never say never, though.’

Chelsea away beckons for City on Saturday. The club’s most-picked player will be in the team. He has regrets but he is happy and he knows now where life is heading.

And there will be more mischief, too.

The 'Superman’ pants he dropped his shorts to reveal last season have not gone away.

'You can’t expect fans to sing your song if you don’t deserve it,’ he said, back in Keane-mode. 'A game lasts 90 minutes. It’s not a big ask to work hard, is it? It’s not a sacrifice for the fans and for the jersey and for your wages. The fans tell you the truth. They can be brutal.

'They have been brutal with me in the past but I accept that. I deserved it. I had an ambition to turn it round and thank God I have. I couldn’t have coped much longer.

'The fans call me Superman now. It’s brilliant. I just did that stunt with the pants to say to people: "I may have come through some s**t but look where I am now." The name has caught on so I will do it again at some stage to keep it going. Definitely.

'I could do it at Old Trafford, that would be quality.’

* To donate to the Stephen Ireland Foundation or to learn more about Francis House Children’s Hospice, go to www.stephenireland.com

And just for emphasis -
    'I read in the press that
    Trapattoni and Liam Brady
    have said they have
    contacted me. Well, they
    haven’t. That’s all I can say'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

'I read in the press that
    Trapattoni and Liam Brady
    have said they have
    contacted me. Well, they
    haven’t. That’s all I can say'

:eek: Wow, I am actually shocked at that statement. What on earth is going on? Somebody isn't giving us the whole truth here. If Stephen Ireland is telling the truth Brady, Traps and Co have some serious questions to answer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement