Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

From a fans perspective we all want to field the best team at the finals and we will be immeasurably stronger with him in it. I don't want to watch another World cup where we're playing with one hand tied behind our back ala Saipan.

Stephen Ireland has played for his country in the past with distinction and this cuts him some slack IMO.

He's a very young player still and should be forgiven for any mistakes he's made so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'd welcome him back with open arms.......but not if he decides to come back just as the World Cup squad is about to be picked.

He could be the difference between qualifying and not / 1st or the play-offs, especially if play-doh legs Steven Reid isn't fit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Stekelly wrote: »
    I just dont think it should matter how good he is.He doesnt deserve his place.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

The manager's job is to pick the best players at his disposal for each game as it presents itself.

If SI makes himself available, let's hope Trap doesn't have the same sized chip on his shoulder you seem to.

You're suggesting deliberate self-sabotage of potential outcomes AND making a currently bad situation (re: SI) worse:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CHD wrote: »

Should S.Reid be dropped because he hasn't played in the last while, would be unfair after all wouldn't it....

No. I cleary said long term injuries are different (and named S Reid specifically :confused:) .

Given the opportunity, Steven Reid would have played every minute of the qualifiers so far.

If SI makes himself available, let's hope Trap doesn't have the same sized chip on his shoulder you seem to.
    :

What chip?Have you invented one for me?

I said the door was open. HE has opted out of the campaign, so it should stay like that till the next campaign, when he can play his part in qualification.

How many people would be happy putting all the leg work in for a big project in work, only for some crackign looking blond to be put in as the face of the project to present it while they are wiped off the credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

And let's face facts - we need him. I don't want to be watching through my fingers again in the last half hour in Nicosia as we're barely hanging onto a 1-0 lead because Andrews and Whelan can't keep the ball in midfield.

No thanks.

As I said, If he'd been long term injured (Steven Reid) no problem. But to let players swan in and out as it suits isnt on. If you opt out of a campaign, fine. But dont come back in when the going is good. Next consideration should be for 2012 euro qualifiers .

You'd seriously prefer it if Ireland didn't qualify:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

No thanks.

As I said, If he'd been long term injured (Steven Reid) no problem. But to let players swan in and out as it suits isnt on. If you opt out of a campaign, fine. But dont come back in when the going is good. Next consideration should be for 2012 euro qualifiers .

Youd rather Ireland not qualify over Whelan/Andrews being pissed off they lost their place?

Thats just ri-di-culas of the highest ri-di-culas-ness.

You'd seriously prefer it if Ireland didn't qualify:confused:

I'm not appologising for being principaled.

What happens if we get a play off spot and he decides he wants in, and we lose? does he head back off and turn up again the next time ?

Theres no guarentees that we'll do any better with him.
    France bombed out of a WC with far better players.

What if the stories are true and 2 or 3 other players games drop because they are pissed at him gettign parachuted back in. Is he goign to play well enough for 4 people?

How many people would be happy putting all the leg work in for a big project in work, only for some crackign looking blond to be put in as the face of the project to present it while they are wiped off the credits?

Imagine if we had a cracking looking blonde in midfield instead of Glen Whelan:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Stekelly wrote:
    No. I cleary said long term injuries are different (and named S Reid specifically ) .

Given the opportunity, Steven Reid would have played every minute of the qualifiers so far.
    Yeah but its hardly fair on Whelan/Andrews when they have played the games to get us where we are going by your logic. If its ok for Reid to come back its ok for Ireland to come back too. Someone will get dropped, thats life.

The manager's job is to pick the best players at his disposal for each game as it presents itself.
    :
    I dont want to start the Saipan debate again, so this is a simple question that doesnt need to go down that route.

Should Mick McCarthy have packed his bags and headed home to facilitate Roy Keane coming back into that squad? It would have meant our best team out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's this simple, he isn't coming back, and that is his choice, the FAI ****ed up, weather or not you want to believe that or who you want to blame foe the "granny gate" thing, that's what happened, he was 20 years old, his partner lost a child and he panicked, the FAI should have protected him and they didn't, I reckon that's why he isn't coming back, but really, only he, the squad and the former manager know why.

As for trap saying stuff like he has talked to him, that is BS, The player himself has said nobody from the managerial team has talked to him about coming back or even phoned him and I believe him, why would he lie, wha does he have to gain from it and why haven't the managerial team given a rebuttel to his claim? I'll tell you why, because more than likely the manager and his staff talked to hughes, Dunne or another man city employee and asked them to have a word with him rather than biting the bullet and asking him themselves.

Stephen Ireland is the best Irish footballer of his generation, one of the best in his position in THE WORLD (yes he is, STFU, I dont even like english football so for me to say that takes a lot!) and if he makes himself available to us at ANY stage he should not only be in the squad but should be the first name on the team sheet for the next 10 years!

All the "he doesn't deserve to be there" muppets need to get a bit of perspective, it's not like we are currntly blessed with world class players, in fact we have 4!

Shay Given
    Richard Dunne
    STEPHEN IRELAND
    Robbie Keane.

The management and the supporters of the Irish team should be doign everything in their power to make those four player feel welcome and needed for the forseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yeah but its hardly fair on Whelan/Andrews when they have played the games to get us where we are going by your logic. If its ok for Reid to come back its ok for Ireland to come back too. Someone will get dropped, thats life.

Whelan, Andrews, Gibson and Reid were the ones who made themselves available and got us to where we are now. Should a we miraculously get to the WC, they are the ones who should be in the squad.

It's a completely different situation. For all intents and purposes, Reid is in the squad, he's just injured, Ireland is chosing not to play.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    It's this simple, he isn't coming back, and that is his choice, the FAI ****ed up, weather or not you want to believe that or who you want to blame foe the "granny gate" thing, that's what happened, he was 20 years old, his partner lost a child and he panicked, the FAI should have protected him and they didn't, I reckon that's why he isn't coming back, but really, only he, the squad and the former manager know why..

Enough of the "it's everyone elses fault". One person has Stephen Ireland where he is, thats himself.

As for trap saying stuff like he has talked to him, that is BS, The player himself has said nobody from the managerial team has talked to him about coming back or even phoned him and I believe him, why would he lie,.

Why would anyone else lie so?.

You dont know Stephen Ireland, you dotn know if he's lieing, so you cant present opinion as fact.

Babying footballers has gone way over the top, it's time they were treated like adults again instead of spoilt children. He knows where the phone is, if he want sto play he can pick it up. Nobody should be goiung to him outside of an intial chat when Trappatoni got the job. The decision of when he comes back is for him and trappatoni to decide, but my opinion is that it should be the first game of the euro qualifers.
    All the "he doesn't deserve to be there" muppets need to get a bit of perspective, it's not like we are currntly blessed with world class players, in fact we have 4!

Shay Given
    Richard Dunne
    STEPHEN IRELAND
    Robbie Keane..

Thats not the point. I dont care if he's an amalgamation of Pele, George best and Paolo Maldini with a knack for savign penos that Pepe Reina cant match. Being given a free pass to do as you please because your good is not the situation we should be encouraging. It's what has the top player divign and cheatign every bloody week and passing off disgracefuil acts like Zidane pulled at the last WC is not better. Just compare that incident to the abuse Joey Barton got for a tackle a few weeks back. It's pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Whelan, Andrews, Gibson and Reid were the ones who made themselves available and got us to where we are now. Should a we miraculously get to the WC, they are the ones who should be in the squad.
    Eh, Gibson has done sweet feck all.

• Advertisement

I dont want to start the Saipan debate again, so this is a simple question that doesnt need to go down that route.

Should Mick McCarthy have packed his bags and headed home to facilitate Roy Keane coming back into that squad? It would have meant our best team out there.

It also would have ment the loss of Irelands best manager in modern times.
    Keane behaved in a way that alienated himself from his team mates, IMHO ig he had have come back it would have danaged team moral and we wouldn't have even made the playoff vs. Spain.

Once Keane verbally abused the Manager (who was not at fault, the association arranged the facilities, not McCharty, he only did the best he could with what he was given) he automatically relinquished his right to a squad place.

Theres no guarentees that we'll do any better with him.
    France bombed out of a WC with far better players.

True. But I think you have to give yourself the best chance you can. That means picking the best players.
    What if the stories are true and 2 or 3 other players games drop because they are pissed at him gettign parachuted back in. Is he goign to play well enough for 4 people?

Do you have linkage for these stories?

God help us if Whelan and Andrews drop their performance levels! They have been good in patches, they are honest, hard-working players and they obviously have a grasp of the system Trap wants them to play - but they are not really up to it at this level. It is hard to imagine Ireland's midfield being much worse than it was in the 2nd half on Saturday. And therefore, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which SI would NOT improve it.

Eh, Gibson has done sweet feck all.

more than some though.

Keane behaved in a way that alienated himself from his team mates, IMHO ig he had have come back it would have danaged team moral and we wouldn't have even made the playoff vs. Spain.

Is that not the very same noises comign from the current squad?

Even if it wasnt, you seem to forget players are people, not machines, Theres probably a few players in the squad that share a similar opinion on the matter top me, will it not affect their moral? Or can the arguement only be used to further your point?

Once Keane verbally abused the Manager (who was not at fault, the association arranged the facilities, not McCharty, he only did the best he could with what he was given) he automatically relinquished his right to a squad place.

You seem to have in depth knowledge of all the Ireland set ups, so why dotn you detail exactly what happened before Ireland quit and go through all the so calledbullying claims too (with facts btw, not the paper talk we've all read)

McCarthy, as any manager, has plenty of input btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Even if it wasnt, you seem to forget players are people, not machines, Theres probably a few players in the squad that share a similar opinion on the matter top me, will it not affect their moral? Or can the arguement only be used to further your point?

Lets be fair though, your hard lined attitude will not solve the situation.

• Advertisement

I don't think it would and I don't think it should.

Roy Keane threw his toys out of the pram and had a strop because of the associations stupid decision and decided to insult senior players and the manager because he was acting like a spoilt child.

Stephen Ireland lost his f*cking child, panicked and the association gave out a false story, not him, he NEVER said his granny died, he was a VERY young man with a history of mental health problems from a very unique family background who was left to hang for the FAI's fu*k up.

There is a massive difference.

Boggles wrote: »

TBH I dont think my attitude is hard lined at all. A discussion on the matter and him coming back to the squad in a friendly after the WC or even the first qualifier after would the the most sensible and potentially least disturbing (for the squad) solution imo.

I don't think it would and I don't think it should.

Roy Keane threw his toys out of the pram and had a strop because of the associations stupid decision and decided to insult senior players and the manager because he was acting like a spoilt child.

Stephen Ireland lost his f*cking child, panicked and the association gave out a false story, not him, he NEVER said his granny died, he was a VERY young man with a history of mental health problems from a very unique family background who was left to hang for the FAI's fu*k up.

There is a massive difference.

You clearly have a hard on for Ireland so your not going to see it any other way.

Your presenting the Ireland and Keane incidents in the best and worst possible lights respecively to suit yourself.

Wheres the proof other than taking everythign Ireland says as gospel?

What of the meetign McCarthy held to belittle Keane in front of everyone? If my boss did that I'd give him the bollocking of a lifetime too.

TBH I dont think my attitude is hard lined at all. A discussion on the matter and him coming back to the squad in a friendly after the WC or even the first qualifier after would the the most sensible and potentially least disturbing (for the squad) solution imo.

I agree. I'd love to see Ireland back in the fold, but there's too much chance of an upset if it were to happen now.

After the WC is over (whether we qualify or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can see people's points re: strongest team but doesn't even a small part of you think it's out of order to just welcome somebody to a tournament who hasn't done a single thing to help the team qualify?

Not somebody who couldn't do it through injury like Reid, but somebody who just chose not to?

Would you even think of him differently?

Is the simple expedient of doing well always better than doing the right thing and not shitting on other players that have taken abuse and played out of their skins for their country? Not to mention the disruption and damage to morale in the squad.

And I'm not somebody who says that lightly. I've been going to watch Ireland since 1986, but sometimes principle should hold sway.

Boggles wrote: »

I don't know Ste personally but I've met him a few times, he's a really nice guy, I'd say above average intelligence and on top of that he's fairly oprn. I do however know people who work for city and I know 3 ex players personally, they have all told me the same thing, Ste needed a arm around him when he was younger.

I have posted before on here that Ireland had counseling built into his training programe from an early age city because of physical and other problems he has be dealing with since he was a child. The pyhsical problems being that for the first 2 years he was at city he bearly kicked a ball because of a growth disorder which ment he lacked the confidence in himself to progress, city knew how good he was and how good he could be ( and now is!) and so rather than let him give up (which he almost did a few times) they built him a unique programe that ment that he got all the physical and mental support he needed to deal.
    He is now, thanks to his wife Jess and his kids and the support he got as young lad at City, a well adapted young man with his head firmly screwed on his shoulders and the world at his feet.

I never said he was bullied in the Ireland camp, he never said he was bullied in the Ireland camp, nobody in the Ireland camp ever said that the reason he sin't playing for Ireland was bulling from players, that is paper talk.

I said the reason he isn't playing is that at the age of 20 years old when he lost his child the FAI rushed out a statement that wasn't made by him and them when it was found out to be false he panicked and the FAI never backed him up. He was going through a LOT regardless of his age in those 7 (and much longer) days and needed to be left alone not harassed by tabloids looking for a headline.

As I said before, he never told staunton his granny died, he told an FAI employee that he had to leave the camp because of a death in the family (which was true) the FAI then issued a press release which was not accurate and let the player deal with the aftermath.

this has been long, ramling and probably incoherant but I feel it was also needed.

[edit]Boggles, I have no idea how I managed to quote you there, ment to quote stekelly.[/edit]

I don't know Ste personally but I've met him a few times, he's a really nice guy, I'd say above average intelligence and on top of that he's fairly oprn. I do however know people who work for city and I know 3 ex players personally, they have all told me the same thing, Ste needed a arm around him when he was younger.

I have posted before on here that Ireland had counseling built into his training programe from an early age city because of physical and other problems he has be dealing with since he was a child. The pyhsical problems being that for the first 2 years he was at city he bearly kicked a ball because of a growth disorder which ment he lacked the confidence in himself to progress, city knew how good he was and how good he could be ( and now is!) and so rather than let him give up (which he almost did a few times) they built him a unique programe that ment that he got all the physical and mental support he needed to deal.
    He is now, thanks to his wife Jess and his kids and the support he got as young lad at City, a well adapted young man with his head firmly screwed on his shoulders and the world at his feet.

I never said he was bullied in the Ireland camp, he never said he was bullied in the Ireland camp, nobody in the Ireland camp ever said that the reason he sin't playing for Ireland was bulling from players, that is paper talk.

I said the reason he isn't playing is that at the age of 20 years old when he lost his child the FAI rushed out a statement that wasn't made by him and them when it was found out to be false he panicked and the FAI never backed him up. He was going through a LOT regardless of his age in those 7 (and much longer) days and needed to be left alone not harassed by tabloids looking for a headline.

As I said before, he never told staunton his granny died, he told an FAI employee that he had to leave the camp because of a death in the family (which was true) the FAI then issued a press release which was not accurate and let the player deal with the aftermath.

this has been long, ramling and probably incoherant but I feel it was also needed.

And the timing of all of that suddenly becoming ok in his head, forgiving the FAI and him feeling like he wants to play again could conveniently fall just in time for a WC place? Again, No thanks.

As I said, I've no issue him becoming part of the squad after the campaign has run it's course, none at all.

In fact , If we are out of it going in to the last game, that would be an ideal time for him to show he is actually iinterested in playign for Ireland and not turning up for a WC spot.

I've already said he won't come back anytime soon and I have stated that I feel he is justified in that decission but if he was to comeback then he should be automatically selected.

He owes the FAI NOTHING, the FAI owe him a lot!

[edit]also, the current management have not even contached him directly to see if he was interested im coming back. Any other country with a player of his quality in the same situation and the manager would phone him and try persuade him himself, look at Lippi at Italy who phones Cesco Totti about once every 3 months to talk to him as see if he is willing to re-consider his retirement, fair enough Totti's retirement was not the same but the manager involved atleast talkes the player in question directly.

Heres Kenny Cunningham's opinion on the matter of players declaring for Ireland in the wake of the rule change mentioned in the other thread. It can be applied here too.

"'Ireland are close to qualifying for a World Cup without the addition of these particular players and I'd like to see the manager stick with the players that have got us this far in the competition.

I'd be very disappointed if I was a player in that squad to miss out on the World Cup for somebody who was jumping on board at the last minute"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

[edit]also, the current management have not even contached him directly to see if he was interested im coming back. Any other country with a player of his quality in the same situation and the manager would phone him and try persuade him himself, look at Lippi at Italy who phones Cesco Totti about once every 3 months to talk to him as see if he is willing to re-consider his retirement, fair enough Totti's retirement was not the same but the manager involved atleast talkes the player in question directly.

No offense but I think I'II trust Trappatoni to handle it in the best way for the irish team whether that means talking to the player or not either directly or indirectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

By discuss, you mean arse-lick, right?

What is there to discuss? Stephen could give the nod to his agent, and have the whole thing sorted in an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Babying footballers has gone way over the top, it's time they were treated like adults again instead of spoilt children.

+1
    I think people are forgetting that footballers are MEN.
    I agree with Kenny Cunningham, Stephen Ireland has left it a bit late to get back in the team. If he does get back with 3 games to go, it won't be fair on the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

can we stop with the i hate SI i love SI arguments, he is not acting like a spoilt footballer, he lost a child FFS and im sorry but football IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT!!

look Ireland was very young and made a mistake. none of us know know what exactly happened, we dont know how much communication there was between him and the FAI/management. all we know is what the press say, which is the equivalent of chinese whispers with a bit of falsehood thrown in.

i think he should not play now, there is an established first team which would be disrupted if he was to return. it wouldnt be fair but that usually counts for little. also the player has never said he is returning, maybe he feels it wouldnt be fair, but sure this is SI and hes just a thoughtless fcuk isnt he. would he want to return anyway? not if read some of the crap on here.

IMO he should have been pursued consistently by the management because he is our best player. has that been done? we dont know, again all we know is what the press says, which is worth SFA. what we do know is that the FAI is hardly the most reputable organisation. id have more sympathy with the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You clearly have a hard on for Ireland

Difficult not to when he's that good ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ultimately, while I accept the point that he shouldn't get to play in the tourney should he not have gotten us there through qualification, I think that point misses that fact that if him wanting to play in the World Cup will get him back for good, its worth us just swallowing some pride.

Beyond that, I think that if we do get to the playoffs, getting Ireland back for them would make a monemental difference.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Difficult not to when he's that good ;)

Have you actually had a good hard look at a picture of him? Thats got to pull it back to nearly level:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Interestingly enough, Liam Brady is uniquely placed to have an insight into the situation. A brilliant midfielder who won lots of domestic honours , but never played in a major international tournament.
    He also came back for WC in 1990 but Jack Charlton decided not to bring him , so he might be able to persuade Stephen that you can't wait forever to make up your mind.

bigstar wrote: »
    can we stop with the i hate SI i love SI arguments, he is not acting like a spoilt footballer, he lost a child FFS and im sorry but football IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT!!.

He is a lot closer to spoilt footballer than lost child. He's playing really well for City and is an important part of their team. Anything that might have been more important than football and effecting his game is long gone and was gone in enough time for him to involve himself in the campaign.

I dont see any "I hate Stphen Ireland going on" . (although now Xavi is here theres loads of "I love Stephen Ireland":)). I've already said that I dotn care who he is. This is not a personal thing on my part, my opinion would be the same no matter who was named in the thread title.

Ok here's how I see it - in order to avoid the complete embarrassment of begging a player to come back, Trap should just knock it on the head for this campaign. We've gotten this far with the the group of players so leave them at it.

However, once the World Cup is done and dusted and the qualifiers come round for the Euros in 2010, then go back and see if the situation has changed. Approach the player and hold proper talks about it and see if common ground can be reached. If so then fantastic. If not then we're no worse off than we are now.

Ultimately, Trap should really just let it go at this stage for his own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

IMO he should have been pursued consistently by the management because he is our best player. has that been done? we dont know, again all we know is what the press says, which is worth SFA. what we do know is that the FAI is hardly the most reputable organisation. id have more sympathy with the player.

The management team get this at press conferences. They always say that they contacted Stephen Ireland, who made it clear he doesn't want to play and if he changes his mind he'll contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He can come back after the WC

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ok here's how I see it - in order to avoid the complete embarrassment of begging a player to come back, Trap should just knock it on the head for this campaign. We've gotten this far with the the group of players so leave them at it.

However, once the World Cup is done and dusted and the qualifiers come round for the Euros in 2010, then go back and see if the situation has changed. Approach the player and hold proper talks about it and see if common ground can be reached. If so then fantastic. If not then we're no worse off than we are now.

Ultimately, Trap should really just let it go at this stage for his own sake.

If he makes himself available in the meantime, would you tell him he had to wait? or would you stick him in the team?

If he makes himself available in the meantime, would you tell him he had to wait? or would you stick him in the team?

I'd tell him he'd have to wait. It's too late in the campaign for mind changing imo. Injuries are a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Basically this boils down to Stephen Ireland and no-one else. We could do with him obviously. If he wants to play for his country (btw the way he carried on shows he is a twat) he should be eligible for selection. I am sure if he made himself available he would walk into the team.

But I would not go pleading with the guy - it is entirely up to him and he should declare himself available when he's ready. Obviously if he does not rejoin us before the qualifying campaign ends I would not take him to S Africa if we qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Too late now for this campaign. He had his chance to come back a couple of months ago, he didn't take it. When the qualifiers for Euro 2012 come around they should revisit the situation and see if he's willing to come back then. If he declines again then forget about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I was only thinking of this earlier. If we qualify, it will be November, but come the March or April, the claims of Chris McCann (Burnley) and James McCarthy (Hamilton*) might be too much to ignore, even for just a squad place, yet they'd have played none of the qualifying games. I know its a completely different situation from the Ireland stance, but I'm just throwing it out there.
    It would be great if we had a pool of players that we could be strong in casting people aside, but we don't unfortunately, and if the chap decided to make himself available and was willing to play in the Spring friendlies, then I'm not sure we'd be wise to 'cut the nose to spite the face' so to speak.

I'm not happy with his current standpoint, but I've had faith in Trap from the start and if he's willing to do something for the benefit of the team, then so be it.

*for the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Apparently his Dad is optimistic he will return...
    Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is set to meet Stephen Ireland with a view to bringing him back into the internaitional fold.

The Manchester City midfielder has not played for his country since September 2007 and has, up to this point, ignored repeated calls to return.

Now, however, Ireland's father Michael has revealed that the player would be open to a meeting with the Irish manager in the coming weeks.

"Giovanni and Stephen have already spoken by phone and will sit down some time in the next few weeks," Michael Ireland told the Irish Daily Star.

"I don't think that Stephen would have agreed to that unless he was interested in returning to play for his country."

Trapattoni believes that a new rule freeing up the eligibility of players over the age of 21 in international football - as well as the Republic's impressive displays in World Cup qualifying - will help to lure the Cork-born 22-year-old back to playing for his country.

"We have to know if he wishes to come back or not," the Italian said in the aftermath of Ireland's 1-1 draw against Bulgaria in Sofia on Saturday.

"I saw two or three City games and I like him, and I will try all possible ways to get him to come back. I want to know what he is thinking and [City manager] Mark Hughes is not sure. He said it is up to him, but we do not know."

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/08/Int-Trap-set-to-meet-Ireland/gnid-56244/

Sounds promising!

Stephen Ireland is a fantastic guy and I really hope he comes back into the fold. Come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

He can go and fúck himself.

He had plenty of opportunity to come back long ago.

The ONLY thing that has changed in the last year is that Ireland now look like they have a good chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

So he fancies a bit of it now?

Go fúck yourself Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

i think he should not play now, there is an established first team which would be disrupted if he was to return. .

An established team that many are't happy with in certain areas ie central midfield....a straw poll for Carsley and Andy Reid to have played there in place of Whelan/Andrews on Saturday would have seen an overwhelming majority....neither have contributed to this campaign so far so what's the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

kraggy wrote: »
    He can go and fúck himself.

He had plenty of opportunity to come back long ago.

The ONLY thing that has changed in the last year is that Ireland now look like they have a good chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

So he fancies a bit of it now?

Go fúck yourself Stephen.

A tad harsh?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement