Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland Open Door or Slam it Shut! [mod warning post #645 / #713]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Apparently his Dad is optimistic he will return...

Sounds promising!

Stephen Ireland is a fantastic guy and I really hope he comes back into the fold. Come back!

He said something similar a while back just before his sons infamous "football focus" interview....his father might be as potty as his son, the apple doesn't roll far from the tree and all that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

kraggy wrote: »
    He can go and fúck himself.

He had plenty of opportunity to come back long ago.

The ONLY thing that has changed in the last year is that Ireland now look like they have a good chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

So he fancies a bit of it now?

Go fúck yourself Stephen.

This post is like the current irish midfield, passionate but clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Apparently his Dad is optimistic he will return...

Is his dad not dead? Oh wait that was his grannie. No no his auntie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I guarantee you that if Ireland does come back for the Cyprus game and scores a last minute winner everybody will be a lot more forgiving towards him. The power of a goal is amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

eoin99 wrote: »
    A tad harsh?

No. Not one bit.
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    This post is like the current irish midfield, passionate but clueless.

Nothing clueless about getting together those players who are loyal to the cause, and each other.

Nothing clueless about not rocking the squad of players who have been trying their guts out to get into the team and who have boarded flights and bothered their arses getting to Dublin every time Ireland were playing a game even though they felt their chance of getting a game were slim.

Nothing clueless about sending out a signal that no man is bigger than the team.

No, not clueless at all. Quite clever in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

He can go and fúck himself.

The ONLY thing that has changed in the last year is that Ireland now look like they have a good chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

Go fúck yourself Stephen.

Not helpful Kraggy. I just hope Stephen Ireland doesn't read this forum.

Look, if he wants to come back we should just let bygones be bygones and get on with it.

I do wonder why he's making such an ordeal of it though, just make your bloody mind up one way or the other Stephen. How difficult can it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Not helpful Kraggy. I just hope Stephen Ireland doesn't read this forum.

Look, if he wants to come back we should just let bygones be bygones and get on with it.

I do wonder why he's making such an ordeal of it though, just make your bloody mind up one way or the other Stephen. How difficult can it be?
    I'd say it's more the papers making the big deal about it... S.I. has said that he doesn't want to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No. Not one bit.

Nothing clueless about getting together those players who are loyal to the cause, and each other.

Nothing clueless about not rocking the squad of players who have been trying their guts out to get into the team and who have boarded flights and bothered their arses getting to Dublin every time Ireland were playing a game even though they felt their chance of getting a game were slim.

Nothing clueless about sending out a signal that no man is bigger than the team.

The above quote is a lot different from your previous quote below and is in no way related. I would agree with a lot of the above. No question.

We are still odds against to qualify for SA btw so he'd be a bit early for Stevie to be jumping on any glory train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Dave! wrote: »
    I'd say it's more the papers making the big deal about it... S.I. has said that he doesn't want to come back

Well that's the thing, I was of the impression that Stephen Ireland had ruled himself out for the foreseeable future, if not for good, so why then do we have his dad coming out with this stuff? Maybe the dad is just an attention-seeking sh1tetalker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

So we look like we are in with a shout of making it to South Africa and lord and behold S.Ireland is considering a return. It's a long shot but if you are reading this thread Stephen you should be ashamed of yourself. Your fooling no one lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No. Not one bit.

The clueless bit is the bit where you advocate telling this country's best outfield player to go f*ck himself when he can help this country to its first major tournament since 2002.

I highly doubt a group of grown men who understand the game, and who have competed against him in the Premiership, are going to be 'rocked' by the return of such a terrific player. I bet the majority will welcome him back with open arms.

The ones that will have to come to terms with it are the ones who have rushed to the moral highground and bashed the guy, despite not knowing the circumstances surrounding why he left.

You would gladly cut off your nose to spite your face. A pity you wouldn't cut off your tongues instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The ones that will have to come to terms with it are the ones who have rushed to the moral highground and bashed the guy, despite not knowing the circumstances surrounding why he left. .

Where as all the people cannonising him know all the details?

As I said already, the fact that its Stephen Ireland is irrelevant to me. I just dont feel he should be begged or even asked to come back, he knows who he has to contact if or when he wants back in, but I also dont think he should be parachuted back into the team before the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The best player in the country, who plays in the position we have the least quality in.

Open door please.

Could be the difference in making it to South Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I for one am not willing to cut my own throat to spite myself. Ireland is a great player who should be in that squad and the 1st 11 every game. Bring him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Where as all the people cannonising him know all the details?

As I said already, the fact that its Stephen Ireland is irrelevant to me. I just dont feel he should be begged or even asked to come back, he knows who he has to contact if or when he wants back in, but I also dont think he should be parachuted back into the team before the WC.

Few people clearly know all the details but don't you think it's possible the guy could have a perfectly valid reason for not wanting to go back? People don't have to worship the ground he walks on but keeping an open mind is more helpful. Burning bridges hurts everybody in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I highly doubt a group of grown men who understand the game, and who have competed against him in the Premiership, are going to be 'rocked' by the return of such a terrific player. I bet the majority will welcome him back with open arms.

Heard on the radio this morning that Hunt, for one, was unhappy at the idea of him coming back.

Obviously some players are probably selfishly concerned about fielding the best team, but I severely doubt that they would all necessarily welcome him back.

How can we know for sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Sure Hunt is always opening his mouth anything to get a few lines wrote about him.

On Stephen Ireland I would have him back in a heart beat. Object of the game lads get your best possible team on the pitch and try and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Its Roy Keane all over again. What is it with Cork people? Mind you once Keane did come out and lay his cards on the table over Saipan I could sort of understand his position and rationalise it in my head. I may not have agreed with his ways but I knew what was going on. The problem with Ireland is no one knows fully what is going on or why he won't play.

I'm still very undecided about the whole issue. I'd like for SI the FAI and anyone else involved to come clean completely and just explain WTF has been going on for the past year or two and what his problem is exactly with playing for his country. If he/they did and it sort of made sense to me then maybe I'd be more open to his come back.

An undoubted talent he would be a huge boost to our squad even at this stage of qualification. You can argue either way about him coming back and no doubt what ever happens it will split peoples opinions for years to come. If he does come back someone else will loose a place on the squad. Will it cause problems like Keane did with his fellow players when he left. Will they want him back?

IF he is allowed back then he should be made jump through hoops. He will have to earn a place in the squad, spend time sitting on the bench, gradual re introduction through last 15 minute introductions as a sub etc. There should be no easy passage for him to simply walk back into the first team.

It does smell fishy that he is looking to come back now I'll admit given our strong position in the group. But I also have to admit I would be in favour of it happening. I think we will be far stronger with him then without and more likely to qualify and do really in the finals themselves. No point cutting off our noses to spite our faces. In the end thats the bottom line for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

stovelid wrote: »
    Heard on the radio this morning that Hunt, for one, was unhappy at the idea of him coming back.

certain players were unhappy with keane coming back...but he came back and people got on with it....skills on the pitch should over rule arrogance etc off the pitch....leave the bitterness off the pitch and get on with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

He was young and foolish and made a few mistakes. He knows the backlash that will occur when he does come back. We as a nation need his talent on the field. Has anyone here made a mistake at 21 ? Lets forget it now, get him back into the squad , qualify for the world cup and be thankful that our country of 4 million people can produce world class players like Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland and Robbie Keane(not to mention zinedine kilbane:D). In these recessionary times a world cup could lift the nation to no end we should forget about the past here and concentrate on what could be a bright future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love how the people who can't let things off the pitch go and accept him back are the same ones who claim that he shouldn't have let off the pitch stuff interfere with his football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

So people are really in favour of bringing English in to play for us, but not having Stevie back?

DSB wrote: »
    So people are really in favour of bringing English in to play for us, but not having Stevie back?

Ah, nothing like dragging a bit of Xenophibia into the thread.
    Who wants "English" in the team and who said it was in favour of Ireland?. I wouldnt support bringing any new players in that dont have a reason(ie injured or being blooded from the youths) for their absence from the campaign.

Certain people tried to drag the other thread down those lines when it's not an Irish/English route.

Again, no issues with him comign back, just not parachuted in durign a campaign, After next summer is the time to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah, nothing like dragging a bit of Xenophibia into the thread.
    Who wants "English" in the team and who said it was in favour of Ireland?. I wouldnt support bringing any new players in that dont have a reason(ie injured or being blooded from the youths) for their absence from the campaign.

Certain people tried to drag the other thread down those lines when it's not an Irish/English route.

Again, no issues with him comign back, just not parachuted in durign a campaign, After next summer is the time to come back.

Xenophobia is a little bit ok when it comes to international football though. I'll have our cranky Stevie any day personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would be in favour of our best players playing for us. If he gets himself sorted and Trapp makes him feel loved enough or whatever it is he needs then so be it. We need somebody that good in there.

I would be in favour of our best players playing for us. If he gets himself sorted and Trapp makes him feel loved enough or whatever it is he needs then so be it. We need somebody that good in there.

Me too.

Starting with the next campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Trap should be pulling out all the hairplugs stops to get him back IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

How many people would be happy putting all the leg work in for a big project in work, only for some crackign looking blond to be put in as the face of the project to present it while they are wiped off the credits?

But there is nothing for the current squad to take credit for (except for Dunne, O'Shea, Keane and Given) Thats the problem - Ireland have played rubbish so far in these qualifiers. (except against 10-man Italy). Without Stephen Ireland we will be lucky to make the top 8 of the second place teams and no chance of getting through the playoffs.

Your example doesn't work because it assumes that whoever put in the leg work is good enough to do the project without the cracking looking blonde. For Ireland, the cracking young bald guy is essential so if he got us through it would be worth giving him the credit.

Right now we are depending on the odd goal from a set-piece or a goalkeeping error to get all our goals (again with the exception of the Italy match). That can't go on and without Ireland's contribution there will be nothing for the current team to take credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

well if he does come back and scores the winner against Italy and we go through automatically how many will be calling for his head then. If he wants to come back then we should let him. Quality should count first and foremost. We haven't actually qualified for anything yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

We are a small country where GAA dominates and is the national games. Stephen Ireland is 1 of possibly 5 Irish players who would be considered as an established and quality Premier League player. Irrespective to what happened in the past, Trapp needs to get him back playing and everyone else should realise that we will not go very far without having all our top quality players at our disposal.

So sleep on his couch, or outside at the gate or whatever needs to be done to get him back...we have some difficult games left, Cyprus being the one I am most worried about and we need all everyone possible to make sure we get to at least the play-offs.

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    well if he does come back and scores the winner against Italy and we go through automatically how many will be calling for his head then..

Whos callign for his head now?

Why are people looking for this aggressive anti-Stpehen Ireland stuff that isnt there (one slightly mad poster aside)? AGAIN, its not the fact that its Stephen Ireland, it's the principal of the situation that I think he should wait till after the WC to slot back into the squad (assuming he wants back in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Whos callign for his head now?

Why are people looking for this aggressive anti-Stpehen Ireland stuff that isnt there (one slightly mad poster aside)? AGAIN, its not the fact that its Stephen Ireland, it's the principal of the situation that I think he should wait till after the WC to slot back into the squad (assuming he wants back in)

actually, i'd rather we fielded our best team in the WC. and thats one with Ireland in it.

truth is, football can be a harsh business. Its all about results. If we went to the WC and lost every match 3-0 then there would be uproar. nobody would be saying "at least he was loyal to the players who got us there".

Your only as good as your last result.

Going by your logic, any team that got promoted to the premier league should not spend money on better players for their 1st season in the premier league. they should give the players that got them promoted a chance.

sorry thats just bull! If you want to be sentimental, professional football is the wrong game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Best player Ireland has at the moment.
    We need him, it's that simple. Trappa should be on his knees

aoing by your logic, any team that got promoted to the premier league should not spend money on better players for their 1st season in the premier league. they should give the players that got them promoted a chance.

sorry thats just bull! If you want to be sentimental, professional football is the wrong game.

Club football is not the same at all. It;s about making money and winnign things. Principals havve long gone from the club game.
    Da Bounca wrote: »
    . Trappa should be on his knees

Yeah, managers lowerign themselves to begging players to play and laying everything on a plate is a great way to get respect:rolleyes:

Sure Utd's success is all built on Fergie lettign players do what they want, coming and going as they please and making all the big decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's had his chance and the door should be slammed shut at this stage. Three games left in the qualifiers anyway and I don't think we need him.

He'll kick himself if we get to South Africa and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I still always believe he should have been called into the squad by trap thus forcing stephen ireland into publicly stating whether he would play or not.

He lets everyone else do the talking for him. His dad, his team mates. I feel the guy enjoys the media attention he is getting. He wants us to go begging him. No team should have to beg a player to play.

I know we need him and if he comes back so be it but i will feel a little disappointed to see him on the pitch.

If there was anything about the guy he would have released a statement saying he wouldnt play for ireland in this campaign and that he would see after the world cup but instead he leaves it open and everybody wondering what will happen. I wish the guy wasnt irish and we could stop having to listen to this, will he, wont he crap.

Stephen ireland could put a stop to all this so why doesnt he?:confused:

I still always believe he should have been called into the squad by trap thus forcing stephen ireland into publicly stating whether he would play or not..
    Theres no way that could lead to an awkward stand off....

Theres no way that could lead to an awkward stand off....

Have to disagree.

He says he doesnt want to play then thats it. end of story, stick a fork in it.
    He says he does want to play then thats it, end of story, stick a fork in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

We're a small nation with a very small pool of players. If we were England, Spain, Italy, France etc we could affort to leave out one of our best players on a point of principle. We don't have that luxury though. If Stephen Ireland makes himself available he should be selected for the squad as he is obviously in form.

• Advertisement

Have to disagree.

He says he doesnt want to play then thats it. end of story, stick a fork in it.
    He says he does want to play then thats it, end of story, stick a fork in it.

The situation for a long time is he knows where the phone is if and when he wants to come back. Yet theres been no forks stuck in anything.

The thread title when taken literally is misleading. No one is looking for a black and white situation for him to either come back now or never come back at all.

The situation as I described it in the first paragraph is how it is and should be left until he makes a call.

The situation for a long time is he knows where the phone is if and when he wants to come back. Yet theres been no forks stuck in anything.

The thread title when taken literally is misleading. No one is looking for a black and white situation for him to either come back now or never come back at all.

The situation as I described it in the first paragraph is how it is and should be left until he makes a call.

Sorry if i wasnt clear enough.

Im not talking about him never coming back, I would just love it if we didnt have to discuss stephen while this campaign is going on. When i said stick a fork in it, I meant for this campaign.

All im saying is, if stephen ireland could come out with a statement saying he will or wont play for his country in this campaign then there would be no need for all this arguing over him but he doesnt, He says he wont play to some team mates, tells his da he will then says he wont, now he wants to talk to trap:confused:. I remember for the brazil friendly he said he was expecting to be picked and that he would have loved to play against brazil and then a while later he says he wont play for Ireland for the time being. The guy is playing games and we are the fools for talking about him so much.
    KerranJast wrote: »
    We're a small nation with a very small pool of players. If we were England, Spain, Italy, France etc we could affort to leave out one of our best players on a point of principle. We don't have that luxury though. If Stephen Ireland makes himself available he should be selected for the squad as he is obviously in form.

I understand we have a small pool of players but it will still annoy me if and when this guy pulls on an Irish jersey again especially if its this campaign. Our team winning with stephen ireland in it will be bitter sweet for me. That said, im not going to get mad if he is recalled, ill just shed a quiet tear as the sport i love dies a little more:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think it should be left open i can't blame him for leaving with what happened to his gf and i can't blame him for being reluctant to return when supposed fans send him death threats for not returning it would certainly put me off I hope things work out he looks the part on the pitch and would certainly add another dimension to our "lob the ball up to a tall guy" approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

KerranJast wrote: »

This is probably the most common sense post to date .......we cannot be that choosy as we dont really have the world class players .

Would u really give a flying f+*k when Ireland are lining out for the national anthem on match day 1 in South Africa (magical stuff) , or would u rather be bitter (told u so etc) if u did fail to qualify and start pointing fingers at players failings ..... we all make mistakes in life , Stephen Ireland is no different its just that spot light of the media is on him .

Trap bring back the magic :D ,even if it does mean pulling stephen Ireland out of the hat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting (and quite sensible) comments from Stephen Hunt.
    LINK
    THE THREAT of repetition always lingers when writing about the international exile of Stephen Ireland. Republic of Ireland winger Stephen Hunt has provided an especially rare player perspective that seems to stymie Ireland’s immediate return to the Irish set-up. Not that the Manchester City midfielder is overly enthusiastic about becoming Ireland’s prodigal son anyway.

“I don’t think he’ll come back,” said Hunt yesterday at the “Mars Summer of Sport” launch. “We’re probably better off forgetting about it until the campaign is finished. He has been the best player for Ireland this year in the Premier League by a country mile. He has been exceptional, there is no doubting that. But for now I don’t think he is going to come back to the Ireland set-up. You might say it will help the camp but it might also hinder the camp too. You never know.

“But if he comes back he would be a good player to have and he might get us that extra step to the World Cup – which we may need. But then again you tell someone who has been sitting in the wings waiting for a chance that he is not going to the World Cup because (Ireland) has come back in late doors. You might have a few players upset about it. Especially at this stage of the campaign. That’s fair enough, I think.”

Of course, this debate will continue so long as Ireland (both team and player) remain separated by whatever caused and then enhanced this rift. If manager Giovanni Trapattoni was to guide his side to South Africa next summer the calls for Ireland’s return, to Ireland, would be deafening, in some quarters anyway.

“If we qualify he won’t be coming back, I wouldn’t think. I would be very surprised if we went to the World Cup and Stephen Ireland said he was coming back.”

So the squad would have a problem with his return after earning qualification without him?

“If Stephen Ireland did come back then it would be a bonus for the team and everything else would have to work around it. But if he was to come back now it would come with extra media on the team at a time when it’s vitally important that we stay focused on qualifying for the World Cup.

“I’ve never had a problem with him when he’s been in the squad before. I think, to be honest with you, Stephen Ireland hasn’t said much. It’s more quotes coming from his Dad. It’s time to let it go. If Stephen Ireland has got something to say, let him say it. If not, don’t bloody write about it.”

On the comparable subject of newly-eligible players, after last week’s Fifa ruling, like Mark Noble, Kevin Nolan and Jamie O’Hara being selected, Hunt felt it essential to first question their desire.

“It’s difficult because you don’t know their personalities and what they are like. If you get someone like Kevin Kilbane who was singing Irish songs all the way home (from Sofia), it’s perfectly fine. But anything that betters the squad and the team morale – you would say you have to pick him.”

Hunt also confirmed his probable departure from Reading as a return to Premier League football is sought ahead of next season. The club priced him out of the market last summer but he remained loyal to their failed bid of promotion.

“Between me and the club a fresh challenge would be good for both of us. I had a chat with Nicky Hammond (Reading director of football) at the end of the season and he agreed with me. I said fair enough. We move on. If I’m at Reading then I’ll be 100 per cent committed to getting the club back in the Premier league.

“I’m looking to get back into the Premier League and in a World Cup year it would be vital for me.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Those quotes from Hunt pretty much sum up how I feel about the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

I think those Hunt quotes pretty much sum up what we are all thinking, we're doing well but we could be doing better and Ireland might be key but then again he might upset the camp. I think Stephen Ireland would do wonders for the team though imo, are central midfield is good but compared with other international teams it's quite pathetic! :(

Bring on Africa 2010! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Hunt is 5hitless he will drop further and further down the pecking line.

Me too.

Timing makes me wonder is that an unauthorised outburst on his part, or is he putting out a message on behalf of some of the other players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Steven Hunt pfft....little muppet should keep his oar out :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement