Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Commute Advice

Options
  • 09-09-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Galway boardsies, I have a question for you.

I'm writing an article about commuting in Galway (for Work & Life magazine). I'm setting up a test where a driver, public transport user and cyclist take the same point to point journey in the city.

I would like to get some suggestions on a good place to start. Ideally, I'm looking for a point that is about 6 to 10km outside of the city centre, is served by public transport and has a good sized suburban population.

Does this sound anything like your own commute?

As I haven't been to the city in a few years, I know the outskirts of the city have changed a lot, hence the need to get some local insight before I go and do this.

It looks like I'm going to be the cyclist (my editor wants the point of view).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

make sure you pick somewhere to start from/end at where the cyclist will win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

kenmc wrote: »
    make sure you pick somewhere to start from/end at where the cyclist will win :D

My expectation is that I will, but given my lack of local knowledge, a couple of wrong turns could really jinx my chances!

We plan to do this at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I would advise doing it from Renmore side to the city centre.
    Thankfully I live in Knocknacarra & there are enough secondary runs and short cuts for me to make it to Ballybrit in about 20 mins at rush hour in the car, so don't get stuck in traffic. Returning @ 5/5.30 over the bridge is another matter though.

I always tell myself I'm going to begin cycling, but this horrible weather is a serious deterrent, added to mey boss insisting I take home my laptop in case I'm needed.
    Anyway enough excuses, choose Renmore/Oranmore side, seems to have the heaviest traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

II'm going to begin cycling, but this horrible weather is a serious deterrent, added to mey boss insisting I take home my laptop in case I'm needed.
    Start cycling, if the laptop gets wet you'll get a nice shiney new one, and some nice waterproof panniers too. Especially if it gets wet twice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

@spurscormac - thanks for the advice.

Looks like we'll be doing it from Galway City Centre to Doughiska (not sure if I'm spelling that right) on an evening commute.

My local contact wanted to know if I had decent life insurance! He reckons urban cycling in Galway is pretty hairy experience compared to Dublin. I'll be sure to include comments on that in the final article.

As regards the laptop - I carry mine home in the backpack on Friday and back in again on Monday. A bit of extra weight, but it has never got wet. Get yourself a bike though, don't put it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Hang on, theres a tiger running loose on the streets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

unionman wrote: »
    @spurscormac - thanks for the advice.

Looks like we'll be doing it from Galway City Centre to Doughiska (not sure if I'm spelling that right) on an evening commute.

My local contact wanted to know if I had decent life insurance! He reckons urban cycling in Galway is pretty hairy experience compared to Dublin. I'll be sure to include comments on that in the final article.

As regards the laptop - I carry mine home in the backpack on Friday and back in again on Monday. A bit of extra weight, but it has never got wet. Get yourself a bike though, don't put it off.

Hmm, not sure what the evening traffic is like there - I assume if you're going to go out the Dublin road towards Renmore & on to Doughiska, it should be bad enough. Its pretty much the reverse of the morning one I was advising.

Can't say I think its that dangerous - but with a relatively high number of roundabouts, you need your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Start in Oranmore, head in to somewhere near the quays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

Barna to Eyre Square (8km) is a possibility but Oranmore to the Quays Bar (10km) at rush hour will definately show an enormous difference between motorised transport and the bike.

Advertisement