Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Positive story about An Garda Síochána

Options
  • 09-09-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭

My car got broken into outside my house in rural North Cork a few months back. No witnesses, and only my wallet was taken, no attempt made to start the car.

I wasn't going to bother ringing the law about it as I thought it would seem trivial to them and have no results. But my Dad convinced me to notify them anyway, just in case I decided to get the car repaired by insurance company. Within ten minutes the car was getting the full CSI treatment in my front driveway from a very professional Guard.

Long story short.....I had forgotten about it to be honest, there was no attempt made to use my cards and only about €80 in the wallet at the time so it was no biggie really. It was more the annoyance of having to replace cards and repair the door.

Anyway I got a phone call this morning from a very decent Guard this morning (at least 5 months after the fact) to say that they had a guy in custody, it was going to court and he is likely to get about 2 years because of his previous convictions and other charges they are bringing against him.....RESULT!

Sorry for the long post but the advice I would give is it is always worth giving the law a shout even if the matter seems trivial. Some people might not agree but I am going about my business this morning a bit happier knowing that the scumbag who broke into my car right outside my house will hopefully be spending some time locked up. Personally I would prefer a system where I got ten minutes in the cell with him with no witnesses but can't have it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Good result! Fair play to the guard. After five months I'd have thought they had given up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer a system where I got ten minutes in the cell with him

To get him to pick up your soap? :P

Only messing couldnt resist, good story though and a great outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Mr.David wrote: »
    To get him to pick up your soap? :P

Only messing couldnt resist, good story though and a great outcome!

Only took 2 posts, I'm surprised :p

I was thinking more along the lines of the scene in "The Dark Knight"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Cool, how did they link him to your car? They should really give u his address and let u inflict the same damage to his property and maybe demolish his front door as 5 months interest.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Cool, how did they link him to your car? They should really give u his address and let u inflict the same damage to his property and maybe demolish his front door as 5 months interest.

They fingerprinted the car at the time and linked him to a few other break-ins and thefts around the area. I like that idea too, maybe be allowed hunt him for sport also. Seems he was strung out and his cousin and himself travelled around knocking off jobs like this.

It seemed all the better after the initial shock of:

"Hello this is Garda Shane xxxxx from xxxxxx Station" at 9am this morning.

Cue me trying to think what did I do out of the way at the weekend, two messy 21st partys :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

fair play to them,hes gone to a better place:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My car got broken into in Limerick earlier this year. I called the guards but as nothing was taken I wasn't expecting much. They came out and offered the whole forensic thing but I was all that pushed, I figured they had much better things to do and didn't want to make a fuss. Anyway, being a wee girly I was pretty distraught but the Garda was lovely. Gave me some great advice, really calmed me down, and thanks to them I had my car fixed up for a decent price in less than 24 hours. It being Limerick I was really impressed with how I was treated. They never made me feel like I wasting their time and I felt like my car was their main priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

"it being limerick" - not really sure what that means, but would imagine it's someone having a go at limerick again!!. For a start im not from limerick, so its not patriotism. Limerick makes the news for this and that, but i can guarantee you one thing having lived in limerick and dublin, baile ath cliath is 100 times worse, and the sad thing is as its the capital, it does not get same negative media coverage that limerick does!! - SOrry for digression from the topic, i realise this was not motor related!Just that fe^k all wrong with limerick , sure it has some bad areas bue everywhere does, and its not like people go there normally!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Should this be stickied on all forums in Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

kbannon wrote: »
    Should this be stickied on all forums in Boards?

No point, nobody would belive it anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

victor1 wrote: »
    "it being limerick" - not really sure what that means, but would imagine it's someone having a go at limerick again!!. For a start im not from limerick, so its not patriotism. Limerick makes the news for this and that, but i can guarantee you one thing having lived in limerick and dublin, baile ath cliath is 100 times worse, and the sad thing is as its the capital, it does not get same negative media coverage that limerick does!! - SOrry for digression from the topic, i realise this was not motor related!Just that fe^k all wrong with limerick , sure it has some bad areas bue everywhere does, and its not like people go there normally!
    maybe she means the limerick hurling and football teams arent great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

victor1 wrote: »
    "it being limerick" - not really sure what that means, but would imagine it's someone having a go at limerick again!!. For a start im not from limerick, so its not patriotism. Limerick makes the news for this and that, but i can guarantee you one thing having lived in limerick and dublin, baile ath cliath is 100 times worse, and the sad thing is as its the capital, it does not get same negative media coverage that limerick does!!
    sorry, but I've lived in Dublin & Limerick too, near UL which isn't even a bad area and I totally agree with her.

there IS a reason Limerick has a certain reputation. Like everywhere else there's good and bad and I did meet some lovely people whilst I was there but on a whole they're a lot better at being bad than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

Yes near UL, near student population - enough said!Would suggest a seperate forum to discuss perceptions about places, limerick is a fine example - there was a crimeline special last year or year before where they viewed limerick for all the negative aspects! I've never seen such a one-sided docu from rte before, it was'nt a case of limerick this week, galway the next ! It was just death down on limerick! - I mean come on, use an independant view, if you do a docu on only dodgy areas in any city then we're never leave our own area!! The docu never looked at the normal areas on limerick, how the development in city and aestetics has made it unrecognisable from the place and layout it was even 7-10 yrs ago!

Have to say I worked in Limerick this Summer. Was working for the City Planning Dept. so got to see the good and the bad. Parts of the city, not 5 minutes drive apart, are polar opposites. I think this is a large part of the image problem that Limerick has.

The bad parts are shockingly bad, Moyross/Southill etc. but the good parts are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

So did your man actually get locked up??? Doubt it!!! :D:D:D

It's ongoing sure. Going to the station tomorrow to make a further statement about it.

Hopefully he gets a stretch.

Advertisement