Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Req] ROI "Granny Rule" Player Stories

• 09-09-2008 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m compiling a list of humorous stories about Irish “Granny Rule” players lack of knowledge in matters relating to Ireland. The below is what I’ve come across so far. If you happen to know any others, feel free to share.

Thanks In Advance

1. On first arriving in Ireland, Jason McAteer entered a pub in Dublin and asked “Do you serve Guinness here?”

(as per McAteer on Podge and Rodge Show).

2. After Ireland's last game in Italia '90, the players were sitting looking rather dejected as you can well imagine. Taoiseach of the day Charlie Haughey comes in and tells the lads Ireland is proud of them, etc. etc.

Tony Cascarino turns to Quinn: 'Who the f*ck is he?'
    Quinn: 'He's the Taoiseach.'

Andy Townsend asks Cascarino: 'What did he say'
    Cascarino: 'I don't know... I think he said he owns a tea shop.'

(as told by Niall Quinn)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

FrCrilly wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m compiling a list of humorous stories about Irish “Granny Rule” players lack of knowledge in matters relating to Ireland. The below is what I’ve come across so far. If you happen to know any others, feel free to share.

Thanks In Advance

1. On first arriving in Ireland, Jason McAteer entered a pub in Dublin and asked “Do you serve Guinness here?”

(as per McAteer on Podge and Rodge Show).

2. After Ireland's last game in Italia '90, the players were sitting looking rather dejected as you can well imagine. Taoiseach of the day Charlie Haughey comes in and tells the lads Ireland is proud of them, etc. etc.

Tony Cascarino turns to Quinn: 'Who the f*ck is he?'
    Quinn: 'He's the Taoiseach.'

Andy Townsend asks Cascarino: 'What did he say'
    Cascarino: 'I don't know... I think he said he owns a tea shop.'

(as told by Niall Quinn)

Haha this is gonna be a great thread top idea mate ;)

IMAO @ McAteer & Cascarino:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Was there not a guy called Mancini or something back in the early 1980s who said to another player as Amhrán na bhFiann was being played somethimg like, 'Christ I hope our Anthem is better that this load of crap'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Was there not a guy called Mancini or something back in the early 1980s who said to another player as Amhrán na bhFiann was being played somethimg like, 'Christ I hope our Anthem is better that this load of crap'

I know Cascarino or one of them when standing on the pitch for the anthems asked whoever was beside him ''Is this one ours?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I know Cascarino or one of them when standing on the pitch for the anthems asked whoever was beside him ''Is this one ours?''

Actually here is the guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Mancini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mystery solved then

no need for

columbo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I have one.....

While most players used the 'Granny Rule' to play for Ireland, didn't Steven Ireland use the forge majeur 'Granny Rule' some time back to cop out of playing for Ireland? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i heard before that it turns out cascarino actually shouldnt have been playing for Ireland all that time????
    i could be wrong, something to do with his past relation actually wasnt from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He qualified through his granny or some other relation and then found out after he'd retired that he was adopted and had no Irish blood in him whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The average Irish football fan empathises more with English clubs and players anyway so Cascarino was always on to a winner. Brits Out. Celtic Rock. Oh I'm so confused :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

He qualified through his granny or some other relation and then found out after he'd retired that he was adopted and had no Irish blood in him whatsoever.

adopted people count as legally they are part of the family
    Should start adopting the unwanted offspring of randy footballers from around the world ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

There's another classic of Cascarino from Italia 90. I think it went along the lines of-'The fans were amazing, there were flags from all over Ireland-Mayo, Cork and Dunkirk'.

Actually i think he deserves his own section in that list of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Kieran Westwood, of England's mighty League One, has no time for the granny rule, but he's been saying his prayers so that's ok: 'I’m not Irish as such, but I’m a Catholic boy and it’s in my blood through my dad’s mum.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

SectionF wrote: »
    Kieran Westwood, of England's mighty League One, has no time for the granny rule, but he's been saying his prayers so that's ok: 'I’m not Irish as such, but I’m a Catholic boy and it’s in my blood through my dad’s mum.'

He should be told do one at the airport!
    Tell him this is a secular state and we dont tolerate such views of religion and state in modern Ireland:D
    Send him to guantanimo, tell the yanks he gave the american flag a funny look

All the kids BORN in this country who CANT get a passport because of where their parents are from and we give one to the likes of him!? F**Kin Disgrace!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

That's putting the record crooked. He said what he said, and he can't unsay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Quick question.if you qualify to play for Ireland through the granny rule or the likes are you required to actually hold an irish passport or obtain one?

Advertisement