Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts threads that run their course

Options
  • 09-09-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I've taken advantage of numerous bargain alert threads so i'm regularly in to check for new bargains with some excitement but it appears more often that what was a bargain is no more and subsequently many threads drag into an after-alert discussion. It's irritating looking to see if something is available again only to find people discussing the merits of something they got last month.

I suggest that a sub-forum be created and ongoing threads after a bargain is over be moved into that. If the bargain reoccurs then it would be good to drag it back up to date.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Possibly put the expiry date in the thread title, like here: http://railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well.. myself and Ruu try to mark an item as '[EXPIRED]' in the thread title when an offer has finished. But discussion of said bargain in the thread is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

basquille wrote: »
    But discussion of said bargain in the thread is inevitable.

And useful.
    I think it's great seeing other people's feedback on items I've purchased/ might purchase if the offer ever pops up again.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Would a small set of thread tags as per the Development forum help? Threads could then be filtered based on tag.

I'd like to see if we can use these well in some of the high traffic forums, Bargain Alerts is a nice, high traffic forum to test it on. At the discretion of the BA mods of course.

Edit: I can retroactively apply a specific tag to all previous threads; ie, I could mark all current threads as expired and then they could be manually set to "active" or "current" or whatever suits to keep historical consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

/edit

Found the ads thread elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

CuLT wrote: »
    Would a small set of thread tags as per the Development forum help? Threads could then be filtered based on tag.

I'd like to see if we can use these well in some of the high traffic forums, Bargain Alerts is a nice, high traffic forum to test it on. At the discretion of the BA mods of course.

Edit: I can retroactively apply a specific tag to all previous threads; ie, I could mark all current threads as expired and then they could be manually set to "active" or "current" or whatever suits to keep historical consistency.

I'd be good with that, see how it goes anyway.

Yep, sounds good CuLT.

Bring it on!

Hey, forgot about this in the busyness that happened over the last day or so, what would you guys suggest as tag words? Ideally they should encompass every topic so that I can set it so that users *have to* pick a tag when creating a thread.

And the tags should not be terribly complicated, average user should be able to understand what the tags are for.

CuLT wrote: »
    Hey, forgot about this in the busyness that happened over the last day or so, what would you guys suggest as tag words? Ideally they should encompass every topic so that I can set it so that users *have to* pick a tag when creating a thread.

And the tags should not be terribly complicated, average user should be able to understand what the tags are for.
    Well.. to take a leaf outta HotUKDeals book, they use:
    41827364jf4.gif
    Probably could cut out some of them - such as 'Nonsense' and 'Kids' (probably a whole category for kids is a bit over-the-top) but the rest seem valid.

Would it be possibly to have a tag to mark an item as 'EXPIRED' - obviously only able to be applied by mods.

Cheers CuLT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

basquille wrote: »
    Well.. to take a leaf outta HotUKDeals book, they use:
    41827364jf4.gif
    Probably could cut out some of them - such as 'Nonsense' and 'Kids' (probably a whole category for kids is a bit over-the-top) but the rest seem valid.

Would it be possibly to have a tag to mark an item as 'EXPIRED' - obviously only able to be applied by mods.

Cheers CuLT.
    Why that whole list? Why not Active / Limited / Expired ?

Well, that's be fine too. But a list of categories would be nice to filter deals by.

There would only be a need for expired as people can assume if it's not expired, it's active and still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The expired edit in the subject would be ideal it it were made part of the charter and enforced. I'm presently happily digesting the benefits of the M&S dine for two bargain, which was nicely brought up as a new thread.

Otherwise tis so much junk to parse through to see if something is happening... Will Tescos ever sell an xbox half price again or will I spend an eternity learning how someone spent twenty minutes walking to Tescos Wilton, cork, Sligo, Athlone etc in vain...

Otherwise tis so much junk to parse through to see if something is happening... Will Tescos ever sell an xbox half price again or will I spend an eternity learning how someone spent twenty minutes walking to Tescos Wilton, cork, Sligo, Athlone etc in vain...
    Gotta agree with you there.. that thread is particularly pointless but I'll leave it open (in a vain hope of Tesco getting more stock in, and expanding offer further east).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

There's half prices xbox's at Tesco. Why didn't someone tell me this before?

BRB guys, wait for me!

.////
    EDIT, I'm just after walking to Tesco in the pissing rain, and they've all run out. Like wtf? Why didn't someone tell me this? Stupid idiots. pffft.
    \\\\\

Expired tag has been added for moderators to use, can change this if necessary, add more tags, etc, we'll see how it goes!

Just gave it a go here CuLT.

Looks great. Much appreciated.

Advertisement