Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BHP V's Torque

Options
  • 09-09-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Which one of the above would you give the most consideration when buying a car, i.e
    1.9 TDI: BHP = 128 Torque = 285NM
    1.8Tquattro : BHP = 150 Torque = 210NM

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

torque!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The petrol is quicker, the diesel is more economical.

Which one of the above would you give the most consideration when buying a car, i.e

:confused::confused::confused:

BHP. But I guess I'd never consider a diesel anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It depends on how you drive. The car with more power will be faster if you keep the engine spinning up near peak power, but that is a very unusual (and noisy, uneconomical and tiring) way to drive. A turbodiesel won't rev nearly as high, and won't be as fast driven the same way, but in ordinary driving where you keep both engines spinning below, say, 4000 rpm, the higher torque of the diesel will make it quicker and more responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Zube wrote: »
    It depends on how you drive. The car with more power will be faster if you keep the engine spinning up near peak power, but that is a very unusual (and noisy, uneconomical and tiring) way to drive. A turbodiesel won't rev nearly as high, and won't be as fast driven the same way, but in ordinary driving where you keep both engines spinning below, say, 4000 rpm, the higher torque of the diesel will make it quicker and more responsive.

Indeed. Although I'd say below 3000 rpm as regards the diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

in this case ...forget about the engine, go for the quattro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

A bit of both is always good :)

Torque will get you up to speed quicker once your in the power range. BHp will give you a higher top speed.

But your looking at a quattro petrol with more weight and less torque...I drove a 1.8T quattro A4 before and it was sluggish compared to my ibiza 1.8T ok the engines where not pumping out the same power but it really did feel like the weight was too much.

Then again my Ibiza is running around 210BHP and 340NM. Well that was the last reading from a RR many moons ago.

I wouldn't say it unusual. If you are going for maximum acceleration you would change before or in the redline. The next gear should drop you right in the powerband for more punch. The powerband is also much wider in a petrol engine car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

kayos wrote: »
    A bit of both is always good :)

Torque will get you up to speed quicker once your in the power range. BHp will give you a higher top speed.

But your looking at a quattro petrol with more weight and less torque...I drove a 1.8T quattro A4 before and it was sluggish compared to my ibiza 1.8T ok the engines where not pumping out the same power but it really did feel like the weight was too much.

Then again my Ibiza is running around 210BHP and 340NM. Well that was the last reading from a RR many moons ago.

Torque won't get you up to speed quicker really, that's not essentially correct. Take your car for example, you'll easily out run a 140bhp diesel with the same torque output as your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

peasant wrote: »
    in this case ...forget about the engine, go for the quattro

QFT!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.9TDI again :eek: My primary concern would be lack of refinement.

ronoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it unusual. If you are going for maximum acceleration you would change before or in the redline. The next gear should drop you right in the powerband for more punch. The powerband is also much wider in a petrol engine car.

Don't get me wrong, my favourite car ever was a Alfa, with max power at 6500, redlined at 8000 rpm. Great fun to thrash.

The petrol engine is better when you want to drop a few gears and wring its neck, but everyone spends most of their driving time in a higher gear at lower revs where the diesel's extra torque will be felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Imagine BHP is a sprinter pushing you car, then torque would be a rugby player pushing your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

Here is a good site for comparing torque to bhp.

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

To compare the bhp/torque figures, you most take revs into accounts

eg max power 150 bhp @ 5000 revs is better than 150bhp @ 6500 revs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

my favourite car ever was a Alfa, with max power at 6500, redlined at 8000 rpm.
    8k redline - interesting - what model was that?

VH wrote: »
    8k redline - interesting - what model was that?

A 1996 2.0 16V twinspark. 150 bhp at 6200 rpm, the tacho was red at 8000, shaded from 6 to 8. The manual said "Do not drive with the needle in this zone for long periods".

My dials looked like this with mph added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

kuro_man wrote: »

Is it not generally better to have peak power at higher revs. I think you generally change gear at peak power and slot into peak torque in the next :)

A 1996 2.0 16V twinspark. 150 bhp at 6200 rpm, the tacho was red at 8000, shaded from 6 to 8. The manual said "Do not drive with the needle in this zone for long periods".

My dials looked like this with mph added.
    the redline is where it changes to red - in that pic the redline is 6.2k, not 8k

edit - looks like 7k on the 2.0 here

edit2 - this is a rev counter from a car i had a (good) few years ago - it goes to 10k but the engine doesnt

kuro_man wrote: »

why do you say that - can that argument be carried on - ie is it best to have peak power at 900rpm or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

VH wrote: »
    why do you say that - can that argument be carried on - ie is it best to have peak power at 900rpm or so?
    exactly there no mention of torque there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

BHP sells cars
    Torque wins races

torque is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A simple way to maximise your available torque is to drive everywhere in first gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

thanks for all the replies,
    I particularly liked the analogy about the Sprinter/Rugby player!!

bikki wrote: »
    Torque wins races in cars with no gears

Fixed that for ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ronoc wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya :pac:
    That's my line!;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's my line!;)

Imitation, Flattery etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

moleyC wrote: »
    Is it not generally better to have peak power at higher revs. I think you generally change gear at peak power and slot into peak torque in the next :)

Actually, it is the torque curve thats important, the more it is shaped like Ayer's Rock the better, not the Matterhorn. From what I understand, cars that reach max horse power at high revs have less torque the cars that reach max horse power at lower revs, and would have a steeper, shorter torque curve.

All other things being equal (identical cars, different engine) compare the torque curve. In the real world, these are all irrelevant numbers because the cars have other differences (4wd, transmission etc.) and it depends on how the driver likes to drive and what he wants the car to do etc. For example, 0 - 60mph time is great for off-the-line speed, for overtaking ability 50 - 70mph (in different gears) would probably be better.

The only way to know, ultimately, is to drive both cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If ya want economy go for the tdi obviously. it will feel quicker at lower speeds but it hasnt the power at the end of the day.

I recently had a 130bhp tdi A4 while my 170bhp 1.8T audi A5 was in garage.
    the diesel felt good up to 2nd gear and was effortlessly powerful at those speeds but it really didnt do it for me. You get such a short rev range that its totally **** cause you are soon in fourth gear with feck all power or torque whereas a petrol will still be comfortable in 3rd reving its nuts off. I really think you need 530d type power in a diesel to make it worth while, they are truely quick but what annoys me are all the 1.9tdi people (100 bhp) believing they have the quickest car ever.

Advertisement