Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

Biggins wrote: »
    I try to buy Irish when I can. It don't help however that we are trying to rip off our own though.
    I could name many Irish companies that are doing this. We all prob' could.
    They, themselves are their own worst enemy.

We would all like to support our own in truth, they are not making it easy for us however.

I have to ask......................if you do decide to cross the border or shop on line for a cheaper price (which we all do), do you still source Irish Products or are you driven just by the cost?
    I agree with your statement on companies could do so much more than cutting labor costs...................it is knee jerk.
    Although not easy, I still 'try to buy' Irish and encourage my work colleagues and neighbors to source and buy local as much as possible and practical. In this time of belt tightening everyone is looking for cheap - but there are still going to be "cheap Irish" if we just take a minute to look...............for example, Tesco (I know not an Irish shop) has IRISH chickens for 4 euros and a beautiful piece of Irish Beef (Rib roast) we cut 4 lovely steaks from it and still have enough for stew tomorrow for 13 euros. All I am asking guys, is to look a little longer in the grocery stores and read the lables.....................Buy Irish.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I think the local farmers markets are the greatest oppertunity to help our own. For example I buy a small bag of potatoes in the shops for €2.50 upwards, yet the farmer sells it at the market for €1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Does everyone not realize that if something is imported and repacked in Ireland it can be classed as made in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A certain well known supermarket is quite blasé about labelling products from Northern Ireland as simply Ireland when distributing the products to it shops in the Republic. The same crowd brought in potatoes from the North without realising that the packaging was plastered with the Union Jack. They were sent back and shortly afterwards a fresh consignment of potatoes was received from the same supplier in neutral packaging and labelled as "Irish Potatoes".

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Does everyone not realize that if something is imported and repacked in Ireland it can be classed as made in ireland

Read the labels. If it says 'packed' in Ireland then it is NOT an Irish product unless it states grown/made and packed in Ireland.

In 2009 we will see huge labeling laws go into effect where each product on the shelves will have an EU label that states country of origin. For now, just look for 'made in Ireland', 'grown in Ireland' ............

I agree about the farmers markets - but do not be fooled to much. ASK QUESTIONS when you dole out the cash. I went to a lovely Organic farm last night and there were serveral vendors selling Cheese/Honey/Olives (all of which were yummy) from The Netherlands/England/Germany. When I questioned the Olives from Germany:confused: they explained that it was a German packing company buying Italian Olives, packing them in Germany and selling throughout Europe. That was just way too many food miles for me. I could have found Irish honey at tesco:eek:. If you start asking vendors/shopkeepers etc. for IRISH product (keep in mind we are trying to support our own economy) eventually they will listen and give you what you ask for because you are giving them the money.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement