Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flat roof

• 09-09-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

with all the crap weather over the last couple of months the flat roof at the side of my house has sprung some leaks, it a cast-in-situ concrete roof with a asphalt finish covering approximately 30sq meters. The house itself is about 40 years old and the asphalt has been replaced once in that time, so I recon the water proofing will need to be completely redone.

I was considering going with a rubber EPDM finish and was wondering has anyone had any experience with this system over the traditional felt/asphalt system? and is there much of a difference in the price?

if anyone has recommendations for roofers doing EDPM in the Dublin region could you please pm me with the details.

thanks
    declan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

It may not be neccessary to replace the whole lot. Removing an existing asphalt roof can be laboursome. The best way to repair this is to install a layer of built up felt roofing over the top, any good company should give at least a 15 yr warranty, and it would work out much more cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I would second that except - take the opportunity to install at least 100mm PUR insulation . Then 2 layers of torch on felt over .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

Puppies wrote: »
    It may not be neccessary to replace the whole lot. Removing an existing asphalt roof can be laboursome. The best way to repair this is to install a layer of built up felt roofing over the top, any good company should give at least a 15 yr warranty, and it would work out much more cost effective.

I can see the sense it that, and it'll save some cash I'd be all for it as I'm current renovating the rest of the house at the moment.
    sinnerboy wrote:
    I would second that except - take the opportunity to install at least 100mm PUR insulation . Then 2 layers of torch on felt over.

It is currently a cold roof construction and I was planning on fixing a vapor barrier and 110mm of insulation internally (60mm insulation backed plasterboard and 50mm rigid board between battens fixed to the concrete.

Advertisement