Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some help choosing parts...

Options
  • 09-09-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Planning on upgrading the drivetrain on my bike. The crankset is damaged and most of the parts are very low spec, I don't want to splash out on a new bike all at once so I'd like to upgrade.

Was looking at this list of parts on Chainreaction site.

I've went for these because I assume they will be compatible, rather than knowing if they are the best selection so if I've gone over board(which I probably have) any advice is appreciated!

Shimano Ultegra Chainset Octalink Double 6500
    170mm 42.53

Shimano Ultegra Cassette 9 Speed 6500
    12-25

Shimano Ultegra Front Derailleur Double 6500
    28.6mm

Tektro RX 40 Rear Brake
    Silver - Cannondale Logo

Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur 9 Speed 6500
    GS Long Cage - Silver

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels 2008
    Black 18h 700c Front Wheel

I'm pretty much lost when it comes to all the possible options here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Shimano have a compatability chart on their website.

May as well get ultegra brakes too!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What have you got on the bike at the moment? And what frame do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's difficult to say if those parts will be compatible without knowing what's on the bike already.

Chainset: 42/53 won't give you a very low gear, if you want one. 170mm is a bit shorter than average - depends on your legs.
    Derailleurs: Are your shifters 9-speed?
    Is a 28.6mm clamp the right size for your frame?
    Why just a rear brake and a front wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Also, do you have Ultegra compatible shifters (they are different to Tiagra, Sora).

Best bet (and value) may be this -most of what you need, guaranteed compatible, and not bad at 501 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Your post means little without details of your current spec. Nonetheless my advice to you is to put the credit card down. Back away from the credit card, I think you need a bit more guidance here, some of your choices might not make sense.

Shimano Ultegra Chainset Octalink Double 6500
    170mm 42.53
    I don't recommend this - get the 39.53, if you don't know much about cycling, chances are this is too big a gearing for you. Make sure you have the 39. Does your current bike use an Octalink bottom bracket ? If not you will also require one of those.

Shimano Ultegra Cassette 9 Speed 6500
    12-25

Fine. But if you are getting a new cassette you should get a chain too, unless your current chain is a very good condition Shimano 9speed chain with less than 1000 miles on it.

Shimano Ultegra Front Derailleur Double 6500
    28.6mm

I actually have one of these boxed and never used. Yours for a tenner. Trouble is the 28.6 is a very narrow clamp and means your bike needs older style, narrow tubes which not many bikes in recent years have. Are you sure thats the clamp diameter you need ?

Tektro RX 40 Rear Brake
    Silver - Cannondale Logo

These are not much of an upgrade, they are pretty bog standard cannondale logo or not, so unless your current brakes are two sponges held to the wheel with a ball of wool, in which case it would be worth your while, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Plus it is only the rear brake, are you only upgrading one brake ?

Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur 9 Speed 6500
    GS Long Cage - Silver

You don't need long cage with the drivetrain you are specifiying. Short cage will be ideal, medium cage, passable, long cage not required and will look daft unless you have a mountainbike, although you don't specify so I am assuming road bike.

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels 2008 Black 18h 700c Front Wheel
    These wheels are a good training wheel. Are you only buying the front wheel though ? because thats all you have specified.

Please post specs of your current bike, pictures if possible and we will be able to help you properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sorry, I meant to include the Mavic rear wheel.

At the moment the rear breaks are disc breaks so I need new ones regardless. However I didn't realise there was so much difference between different types. Oh, it's technically a hybrid but for all purposes here a road bike.

I didn't have a clue there were different types of cages. Advice noted.

Also don't know enough about gearing but I will take on the advice about getting 39.53 and prob a longer crank if that one's a bit short

I will need a new shifter and bottom bracket. There are British and Italian ones and I didn't know which I'm using. Would prefer to get that locally for this reason.

Can't say much about the specs, I'm at work at the moment but I'll try taking pictures when I get home.

Oh, I'm not a competitive cyclist but I do cycle quite a lot. commuting to work makes the bike essential but I go on reasonable cycles with friends too. So I'm not looking to spend money to shave a few grams, just end up with a reasonably nice bike.

Thanks for all the advice btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

exactly what is the bike? make/model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

So you need new shifters, brakes, wheels and drive-train?

You should just buy a new bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Morgan wrote: »
    So you need new shifters, brakes, wheels and drive-train?

You should just buy a new bike.

The shifters are going to work out the most expensive part. Plus he might have to buy new handlebars because I'm not aware of any flat bar shifters for Ultegra (I could be wrong though). I think you can get bar end shifters and convert to flat bar shifters using Paul's Thumbies, but that's very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If its a commuter, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade unless it is a super expensive bike. Upgrading a low spec bike is a false economy. I did it once with a Trek 1000, by the end I had spent a whole lot more than I would have if I had simply just bought a much higher model to begin with. My advice is don't do it, you are going to waste a heap of money and be left with something that is not significantly better than what you started out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yeah, I'm seriously starting to lean in that direction tbh. I guess I'll have to start saving :(

Thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement