Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Travel Destinations???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

did anyone go to maui/hawaii last year? what was it like? would you reccommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Penguinssmell

Lo23...

Just in response to the last bit of ur post there, why wud u choose austin? i was considering austin myself, except for the unreal hot weather mite put me off but other than that! i'm also considering north carolina or colorado, someplace where i wont be surrounded by the irish. Have u been to austin in the summer? and what did they think of u bein irish?

Just to the last poster about maui...2 of my best friends did a j1 in maui this summer and loved it, but one of them who'd done a j1 before with myself said he prefered cali to hawaii. i think it can get a little boring with the lack of nightlife and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

I was planning to go to chicago. Is it any good and how much do the flight cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Austin, Texas.

A hidden gem among Irish J1, as the absence of any recommendations in this thread would attest to. Fantastic town that revolves around student life at the large UT and Texas A&M. Literally NO Irish students there so the locals are pretty inquisitive and we made loads of American friends. Women are simply stunning too, its a major sports campus so no flab in sight plus, being Texas, there's a sizeable Latino population as well.

6th Street is one of the greatest party/live music areas I've ever been to and Barton Springs is a great place to sit in the gentle river rapids and swill a few beers with a couple of hundred other students!

I'd look to return to live/work there in the future if possible. The only American city I'd be willing to do so, and I've been to a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I was planning to go to chicago. Is it any good and how much do the flight cost?

they start from around the 350 mark for J1 goers....

• Advertisement

justfortherecord...

Thats exactly what i've been wanting to hear lol...so i'm assuming u j1'd there? man sounds exactly what i'm lookin for, no irish haha..did u go with a group or alone? and did u have a hard time meeting ppl and making friends? sounds like the perfect place to go, i'm so happy usit and the likes dont try and send j1ers there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Just so happens my brother booked J1 to chicago today! Flying from cork to chicago and back (with a stop off in NY on the way home) €740ish with USIT I think is what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JingleBells08

Anyone ever been there on a J1? Group of girls thinking of going this summer....not sure where to go though? Miami, Orlando, Tampa Bay etc? We're kind of leaning towards Miami but can't seem to find much info! Any suggestions would be great! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

well if you dont want to meet many irish people go to Alaska, the most beautiful state in the u.s.a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vishwa

Isla Vista is notable for its unique student and beach culture, cultivated by a population largely made up of UCSB and Santa Barbara City College students. Isla Vista's small size and proximity to UCSB foster a strong sense of community, and students generally run into many people whom they know, be it from classes or otherwise. With warm days year-round, Isla Vista teems with hundreds of students, who enjoy sunbathing, surfing, soccer, frisbee, and other recreational activities to escape the rigors of academic life.

vishwa....

Travel Deals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Delaware J1 ftw! Heard it's amazing and absolutely no Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Puerto Rico.

Austin is a pretty cool place. As is San Antonio. Burlington in Vermont is also a big college town. Women outnumber the fellas.

But San Diego is still my favorite city. I lived there before it became of big J1 hyped up place.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Women outnumber the fellas.

i doubt it will be for much longer after all the lads on this read that comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

Do what i did jack the whole college lark... And i traveled all about the states for 8 years.never regret a day of it. Great craic but i warn you its very difficult to settle back home.san fran is beautiful but too many paddies.try travel as much to the not so usual paddy areas like wyoming,colorado or go see gateway to the west in st.louis and sip beers watchin the sun set on the mississippi.thats my idea of gettin away from it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dancedreamer

Hey just looking for advice on the whole j1 thing, think me and my friends are kinda running out of time!!

At the moment we're lookin at hawaii (maui or honolulu) or canada! Obv the big thing bout canada is legal age is only 19, however seems lyk half of dub is planning toronto/vancouver this summer, so dunno which is best!

Heard nightlife in hawaii isnt the greatest but that because theres less irish there you get to meet them easily and that the beach parties are gr8 craic!

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated as me and my friends are all j1 virgins lol! Thanks!

Well firstly im pretty sure the J1 doesnt apply to Canada only to the US. Though I suppose their's some other visa you can apply for. And ya I have also been told that Hawaii is very quiet and also expensive.

Cant be much more specific than that cause I was in California last summer. Can talk for ages about Cali though:D

ye theres a visa for canada too from canada.usit.ie I think but it costs 489 dollars whereas american visa is free atm i think,

ye what was california like? iv friends who went there last year too, packed full of irish though?
    I cant go til early july although my friends are goin earlier so im just worried bout the possibility of all jobs being gone to earlier j1ers!

still lyk to hear anyones thoughts on hawaii though as iv heard both good and bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emzer12

hey ...just wondering has anyone been to wildwood in new jersey on the j1???

thinking of heading there this summer ...heard it s good for getting jobs etc..??!

Not sure about wildwood myself but my friends were in hawaii last summer. Said they loved it but preferred california the year before, i think because theres more to do and plaes to visit, also the hawaiin night life gets a bit old after a while too. Also none of them got jobs and they all either had to borrow off their parents or come home early. The general thoughts i got were its good but wouldnt j1 there again. They were all on Maui btw, not the main island.

I myself am considering headin to north carolina or texas, somewhere with no irish ppl around. Something a bit different..

Id be well up for somewhere a bit different lyk the above poster bt try tellin that to my party loving friends, I mean dont get me wrong parties are great and ya wanna have them bt jst not with half your college from back home lyk!
    Thinkin it looks like florida or californa nw as from all the info wev gathered hawaii looks a bit riske in terms of gettin jobs, nightlife etc at least u can move around on the mainland!

By the by how strict are cali and florida on the old over 21s thing does anyone know?!

Also best places to stay in either if anyone has been?!

• Advertisement

To be honest, if ur not over 21 and u cant get a fake id then i wudnt really recommned anywhere in california bar San Diego. But that is also packed with the irish to you've got that to deal with too.

i lived in huntington beach for the summer a couple years back and it was unreal. But i also think it was starting to become quite a popular spot and it wasnt the biggest town so expect to see quite a few irish. I think any of the more popular towns you choose in california will have a good few irish.

Out of Florida and Cali, I'd choose Florida since i havent been there yet. Heard some good things about it but i think the weather may be a problem as they get a lot of sudden rain showers in summer.

thanks for the advice,

beginning to lean more towards florida myself, not as DONE as california if ya get me, although iv yet to hear anyone have a bad trip to cali so I dunno!

Headin in2 usit to book my free j1 2mz anyways, dnt care where I end up goin at this stage as long as it has a beach lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Madmark1000

Hey!,,just wondering if any1 could give me any ideas/contacts on where you could live in huntington beach???....cant seem to find anywhere,,,,,,theres about 6-8 of us looking for somewhere within walking distance of the beach for a reasonable price...
    any help wud be great!:D

.......job ideas would be very helpful aswell!

Hey Madmark. I was there last summer. You will find it hard to track down what you are looking for but not impossible. One very important question though. What do you consider a reasonable price for somewhere to stay within walking distance of the beach?

I might have a couple of names for you ill PM them on to you later dont have time to find them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SWalsh21

Hi, just looking about some advice about best destinations in America!

Dont want to go San Diego, and was thinking of heading to either Wildwood, New Jersey or Ocean City in Maryland!

Anyone been to either of these places or heard anything about them?

Any info would be a great help! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Booking wildwood tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

cooperguy wrote: »
    Hey Madmark. I was there last summer. You will find it hard to track down what you are looking for but not impossible. One very important question though. What do you consider a reasonable price for somewhere to stay within walking distance of the beach?

I might have a couple of names for you ill PM them on to you later dont have time to find them now
    was just reading tru the whole thread and fair play to u cooperguy u are giving loads of help. im planning on huntington beach myself. i was thinkin 20euro each per night for accomadation, is that right/way off?? theres 4 of us so thatsabout 2500 dollars per month in total. and we'll prob bum a few more guys in if possible to spread the cost. also im finding it hard to get started on where to get a job???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

we have accomodation sorted for wildwood.

$7000 for 14 weeks. Place has a swimming pool and is very close to the beach.

The place can hold 6.

only 3 of us going so will be looking for three people to help spread the cost.

Anyone thats stuck then send me a pm. thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SWalsh21

Hey corkhero, quite new to this so cant work out how to pm you ha!! :confused:

No visa sorted just yet so cant book accom, but if you wanted to send details of where the accomodation is to siobhanwalsh18@eircom.net that would be great!

Thanks.

• Advertisement

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    was just reading tru the whole thread and fair play to u cooperguy u are giving loads of help. im planning on huntington beach myself. i was thinkin 20euro each per night for accomadation, is that right/way off?? theres 4 of us so thatsabout 2500 dollars per month in total. and we'll prob bum a few more guys in if possible to spread the cost. also im finding it hard to get started on where to get a job???
    We paid $2400 a month for an apartment in a complex with a swimming pool and hot tub directly across the road from the beach and 5 blocks from main street so ya that is definatly possible and you can do it for much cheaper just not in as good a location. Your main challenge is actually finding somewhere that will rent you a place for only 3 months. That can be VERY tough. Oh and I actually forgot to get those contacts:)

Are you 21? They started getting very strict on seeing an ID by the end. Iv gotten in trouble for talking about ID on here in the past so ill say no more!

Advertisement