Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Travel Destinations???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I was wondering would ye advise against someone doing the J1 if they're under 18? I won't be in college next year but i'd be turning 20 while over there, but it wouldn't go against me getting work or anything would it ?

And yes i'm well aware about the drinking and i wouldn't mind =p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I was wondering would ye advise against someone doing the J1 if they're under 18? I won't be in college next year but i'd be turning 20 while over there, but it wouldn't go against me getting work or anything would it ?

And yes i'm well aware about the drinking and i wouldn't mind =p

So youre under 18 but youre turning 20 while youre over there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Evening all. Like a few here Im hitting California. There's 5 of us going over around the 3rd of June for 10/11 weeks, and then one or two late stragglers arriving later maybe.

If anybody has any info or details on accommodation in any of the spots mentioned above I would greatly appreciate it. Been trying stuff online but it's not easy. Most places have a minimum lease period of about 3-6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Tusky wrote: »
    So youre under 18 but youre turning 20 while youre over there ?

i meant under 21 ! sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Turnip2000 wrote: »
    Evening all. Like a few here Im hitting California. There's 5 of us going over around the 3rd of June for 10/11 weeks, and then one or two late stragglers arriving later maybe.

If anybody has any info or details on accommodation in any of the spots mentioned above I would greatly appreciate it. Been trying stuff online but it's not easy. Most places have a minimum lease period of about 3-6 months.

Hey,

We're renting a massive gaf on the beach in California from the 1st/2nd of june for at least 2 months. It fits up to 25 people. Me and four mates are going at the moment but we'll probably end up about 10-15 altogether. So we'll have at least 10 places free if you're interested. The rent will be about 175 dollars each per week.

Here's a picture: 222df8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Hey,

We're renting a massive gaf on the beach in California from the 1st/2nd of june for at least 2 months. It fits up to 25 people. Me and four mates are going at the moment but we'll probably end up about 10-15 altogether. So we'll have at least 10 places free if you're interested. The rent will be about 175 dollars each per week.

Here's a picture: 222df8

hey lepraucahan, myself and 3 mates are eading over too, june 2nd. plan to stay in cali for 2 months, where is that house ur getting??

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    hey lepraucahan, myself and 3 mates are eading over too, june 2nd. plan to stay in cali for 2 months, where is that house ur getting??

Hey,

The place is in Long Beach. That's the next beach up from Huntington. It's mad close to both LA and Huntington. Long Beach is meant to be a great place. There's lots of 18+ and 21+ nightclubs and it's easier to get jobs than some of the other places.

Bad news. The place got double-booked. I'll let youse know if I found somewhere else.

I'm gonna look for another good large place. If anyone wants to share with us just send me a PM with the amount of people going with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 d badger

I went to Hawaii over 2 years ago on a J1, was savage, v expensive to get there but well worth it. Lived in Boston for 6 months as well, fun place good spot for a J1. Probably go on another J1 this summer, not sure yet but thinking of Vegas or Chicago, was talking to a few people in USIT, if you wana follow the crowd it seems that the East coast seems to be the place to go this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

If you have it down to either Vegas or Chicago choose Chicago. 3 months in Vegas is too much. Its also WAY too hot to stay outdoors for too long aswell. Your talking mid 40's during the day and down to 30 at night.

Book a cheap internal flight and visit Vegas for a week or so instead. I was there last summer Id recommend it to anyone. Had a brilliant time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Me and a few mates heading over to Atlantic Beach NY in June.

Anyone tell me what its like, trying to look for accomodation online and finding it tough!

Any tips ?

Sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread already!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Hi i was wondering has anyone ever been to West Virginia? Its looks like a lovely place but i have never heard of anyone going there on a j1! or kansas city or indianapolis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RC101

Hey,
    Another girl and I (20) are heading to Ocean City for the start of June. Anyone want to share accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I did my J1 in 2007, spent 2 months working in San Diego and then spent August driving from New York to San Diego, so I saw quite a bit of the place, 14 states.

I've seen both sides of New Jersey, the industrial coast is basically another borough of NYC, the people are a little more laid back and friendly, and it will probably prove a fair bit cheaper on accommodation, but then again you'll spend a good chunk of your money getting taxis through the Lincoln Tunnel to get over to Manhattan for a good night out! It's not very scenic, I'd rate it second to LA in the greyness stakes, and I've been to some awful tips along the Rust Belt in Ohio and Indiana. But NYC is on your doorstep and its probably a bit cheaper, not much though. If I was looking to have New York on my doorstep I'd look around Woodside/Maspeth in Queens or further out along Long Island. Rural New Jersey is hilarious, there isn't much of it anymore due to sprawl but in the space of 30 miles you experience 2 completely different cultures, everyone in New York and along the coast is all airbrushed and self-conscious, you'd might as well be in Oklahoma as out in the NJ sticks.

San Diego is great, a good bit of work going in it, but the swell in demand for Social Security caused by thousands of Irish going means it may be mid June before you can go applying for work, bring survival money for those first 2 weeks. Tijuana's 12 miles down the road, a great, inexpensive night out if you're under 21. Great beaches, nice people, some great shopping centres, baseball seasons in full swing and you can catch some pre-season football games too. La Jolla is about 6 miles up the coast and the cove there is gorgeous, as is Torrey Pines.

New York: can't say enough good about the place, capital of the world, you'll never want to leave it, it's so varied and there's a euphoric feeling about just being there. Not half as strict on ID as bars and clubs on the West Coast are either, any bars I was in in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn generally didn't ask for ID. Great weather in summer, public transport is top notch and there are plenty of Irish there, both visiting and resident.

Boston: It might be the Irish capital of America but avoid the Irish suburbs, Southie isn't the sort of place you want to spend your J1 in. Boston itself is lovely, winding streets, something you won't find in any other American city. Sports capital of the US, the Red Sox and the Celtics have recently come back into form, and if you're there in June and the Celtics have made it to the NBA Finals again (I hope they do!) the place will be electric. Cambridge is just across the river and home to Harvard and MIT, it's pretty exciting too.

Los Angeles is a concrete gutter. The film Crash derides the place for an hour and a half and it doesn't go far enough towards describing the sort of tip it is. If you want to experience American culture and people first hand this isn't the place, everyone is cold and distant. It's the only city I've ever been in where the skyscrapers downtown are barely visible from the airport due to smog, and LAX is only about 5 miles from downtown. We found ourselves looking for diesel on Crenshaw Boulevard one night, the place might as well be a warzone, no place for 5 white Irish lads. Not a whole lot to be said for Huntington Beach or the Val either, pretty tippish. Friends of mine went to Santa Barbara last year and had a ball staying on the campus of UCSB, but the beaches are covered in oil slick from off shore refineries, much nicer beaches down the road in San Diego County. Finding work in Santa Barbara proved highly problematic too, and the majority of them already had Social Security going there.

San Francisco isn't quite as sunny as Southern California, but there are plenty of Irish there, both students and those fully resident there.

Las Vegas isn't really financially affordable for any student to live and work in, worth a visit if you want a party but it's sleazy and overpriced. Guess that's what it has the reputation for.

I haven't been to Chicago but that's another J1 hotspot.
    I really enjoyed St. Louis, MO. If you want somewhere really different I'd say go there. Bring a crowd though, you won't find many J1ers there, but 5 of us had a ball there for a few days.
    I've heard great things about Austin, TX. Never been though, but I'd assume you'd need a few with you too to enjoy that, a bit like St. Louis.

Hope this is helpful, if you've any more questions I'll do all I can to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

ocean city.......most amazing summer of my life!! couldnt recommend it enough, its a resort city, but still like prob bigger than dublin, all on the beach, defo recommend it:D

upmeath wrote: »
    I did my J1 in 2007, spent 2 months working in San Diego and then spent August driving from New York to San Diego, so I saw quite a bit of the place, 14 states.

I've seen both sides of New Jersey, the industrial coast is basically another borough of NYC, the people are a little more laid back and friendly, and it will probably prove a fair bit cheaper on accommodation, but then again you'll spend a good chunk of your money getting taxis through the Lincoln Tunnel to get over to Manhattan for a good night out! It's not very scenic, I'd rate it second to LA in the greyness stakes, and I've been to some awful tips along the Rust Belt in Ohio and Indiana. But NYC is on your doorstep and its probably a bit cheaper, not much though. If I was looking to have New York on my doorstep I'd look around Woodside/Maspeth in Queens or further out along Long Island. Rural New Jersey is hilarious, there isn't much of it anymore due to sprawl but in the space of 30 miles you experience 2 completely different cultures, everyone in New York and along the coast is all airbrushed and self-conscious, you'd might as well be in Oklahoma as out in the NJ sticks.

San Diego is great, a good bit of work going in it, but the swell in demand for Social Security caused by thousands of Irish going means it may be mid June before you can go applying for work, bring survival money for those first 2 weeks. Tijuana's 12 miles down the road, a great, inexpensive night out if you're under 21. Great beaches, nice people, some great shopping centres, baseball seasons in full swing and you can catch some pre-season football games too. La Jolla is about 6 miles up the coast and the cove there is gorgeous, as is Torrey Pines.

New York: can't say enough good about the place, capital of the world, you'll never want to leave it, it's so varied and there's a euphoric feeling about just being there. Not half as strict on ID as bars and clubs on the West Coast are either, any bars I was in in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn generally didn't ask for ID. Great weather in summer, public transport is top notch and there are plenty of Irish there, both visiting and resident.

Boston: It might be the Irish capital of America but avoid the Irish suburbs, Southie isn't the sort of place you want to spend your J1 in. Boston itself is lovely, winding streets, something you won't find in any other American city. Sports capital of the US, the Red Sox and the Celtics have recently come back into form, and if you're there in June and the Celtics have made it to the NBA Finals again (I hope they do!) the place will be electric. Cambridge is just across the river and home to Harvard and MIT, it's pretty exciting too.

Los Angeles is a concrete gutter. The film Crash derides the place for an hour and a half and it doesn't go far enough towards describing the sort of tip it is. If you want to experience American culture and people first hand this isn't the place, everyone is cold and distant. It's the only city I've ever been in where the skyscrapers downtown are barely visible from the airport due to smog, and LAX is only about 5 miles from downtown. We found ourselves looking for diesel on Crenshaw Boulevard one night, the place might as well be a warzone, no place for 5 white Irish lads. Not a whole lot to be said for Huntington Beach or the Val either, pretty tippish. Friends of mine went to Santa Barbara last year and had a ball staying on the campus of UCSB, but the beaches are covered in oil slick from off shore refineries, much nicer beaches down the road in San Diego County. Finding work in Santa Barbara proved highly problematic too, and the majority of them already had Social Security going there.

San Francisco isn't quite as sunny as Southern California, but there are plenty of Irish there, both students and those fully resident there.

Las Vegas isn't really financially affordable for any student to live and work in, worth a visit if you want a party but it's sleazy and overpriced. Guess that's what it has the reputation for.

I haven't been to Chicago but that's another J1 hotspot.
    I really enjoyed St. Louis, MO. If you want somewhere really different I'd say go there. Bring a crowd though, you won't find many J1ers there, but 5 of us had a ball there for a few days.
    I've heard great things about Austin, TX. Never been though, but I'd assume you'd need a few with you too to enjoy that, a bit like St. Louis.

Hope this is helpful, if you've any more questions I'll do all I can to help!

Did you post a video of it on youtube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

I love New York! I lived there two summers ago and stayed there for a while last summer. My fave city ever- but I want to go somewhere different on my year J1. If anyone has been to Miami or Austin/Houston or anywhere that's not the typical J1 please message me.

I was in Wildwood last summer. Very easy to find jobs. Accommodation is generally around $100 but if you don't want to live in a dump, you can pay €150 for a nicer place. There are tons of Irish there but I made loads of Bulgarian and Russian friends too.

Yes there is a big difference between Northern Jersey and Southern Jersey!!!!! It's a different world in Southern Jersey. I had a great time because of the many friends I made, but wouldn't go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LAURA dub

hey guys,

would really really appriciate some of you help here.

me and a friend are heading on a j1 this sumeer except we are really concerned we are a little old for it (23?) and kinda worried were are going to get stuck somwhere with aloada iriah kids!

We have kind of looked into ocean beach??! but to be honest we really dont have a clue, it looks amazing and seems to be not over taken by irish ...

hs anyone been there, and if so where would you recommend we should look into staying and working???

reviews ive read are saying 7th street?? but that means noting to me rght now.

id really really appriciate your views on this, we have to pick our location in ten days!!!

thanks x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skittles16

not sure about san diego but for San Fran i earned about 2,500 and brought about 2,500 and that got me through ok, but i like to spend a lot! in Hawaii i earned about 2,000 and brought about 5,000, that was more than enough. my reckoning is that you would need to bring about enouth for at least 100pw for rent, 150/200pw drinking/eating/getting around. and then extra if you wanna travel at the end.*

EDIT: just realised those figures are for Hawaii which is expensive enough, west coast you could survive on 200pw all in...

Hi i was just wondering if any one could recomended a company or website to get work in hawaii befor we go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yo_yo

Hey guys does anyone know anything at all about new jersey or wildwood for a j1?! :)
    thinking of going there next year!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Tracy_Elle

yo_yo wrote: »
    Hey guys does anyone know anything at all about new jersey or wildwood for a j1?! :)
    thinking of going there next year!!!

Hey there's 4/5 of us thinking about Wildwood next year aswell, heard its easy enough to get jobs and accommodation. Morey's Piers are meant to help you find accommodation too which is good but when I looked online for some it was all vacation rentals which are pretty expensive... so I'd say you have to play it be ear when you get over there...
    if you hear anymore do let me know!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey guys,

Going on a j1 this summer but not sure where yet. There are six girls going and we want to stick to the East coast. Out of the 6 of us only one person will be turning 21 while we are there:(. Would you recommend Ocean City for a J1? Is there a good Irish presence there and good house parties?

Would appreciate if you could get back to me thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Montauk or ocean city??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DéiseFitz

Hi guys, myself and 5 others have booked J1 and chosen to fly into New York. Lookin at a lot of the same desinations mentioned above, Montauk, Wildwood, Ocean City. Anyone have any advice on these places as regards finding jobs/accomodation and costs? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bubbleofe

Hi we were thinking of a j1 to cali for 2 months june and july .....just wanted to enquire is it very hard to get accomodation and jobs???......also would it be more recommended to go to berkely san fran as you can stay in the frat houses???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lyndseyy

Heya!

I knew alot of Irish that came here for the summer & loved it. I live here year round & must say summers here are unreal.

If ya need any info on it, feel free to get in contact (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 USIT: Simone

Hi guys,

A few alternative destinations which we are recommending this year based on factors such as jobs, accommodation, transport and nightlife are:

San Jose - Situated near San Fran, first Spanish settlement, beautiful city with more of a beach vibe, nightlife area called SOFA, lots of cafes, Raging Waters water park for jobs and San Jose airport

Seattle- The New York of the West coast, mecca for music, famous for its street markets and coffee shops, university town, work outdoors in golf courses, landscaping, kayak rental etc, an hour away from Canada if you fancy popping over there for the weekend

Boulder, Colarado - For students who love extreme sports, white water rafting, rock climbing, hiking etc, this is the place for you! The Hill is the district near the University of Colarado where the nightlife is, The Pearl St. Mall is an outdoor shopping area with cafes, retail stores and performers, very cool place!

Austin, Texas - Situated on the Colorado River, home to the University of Texas, up and coming destination for young Americans, known as "the live music capitol of the world" - city shuts down each summer for the South by Southwest music and independent film festival, work for the city maintaining parks, aquatic facilities, playgrounds and community events

Madison - Known as the friendliest and 'most walkable' city, college town, sits on Mendota and Monona lakes which students treat like a beach in summer with lakeside activities and sports, college accommodation during summer time, travel to Chicago during the weekends

WashingtonDC - Overlooked for its youthful nightlife and atmosphere and great shopping despite being stereotypically political and opinionated, the core of American culture, many young Americans head for DC in search of work and play, look for jobs and accommodation in the suburbs surrounding the city

This isn't to say that the usual J1 hotspots aren't fantastic places where you won't have a great time. It's just worth keeping your options open and bearing in mind what a vast and diverse country America is. If you go to somewhere like San Diego, you may have trouble finding jobs and accommodation, not to mention hassle with public transport (although I have had friends in SD who had a brilliant time!).

Research the area you are thinking of before you go over. Have a look at craigslist.com for jobs and campusrent.com for on-campus accommodation which can be a great option! We have been doing a lot of research gathering employers, so when you book you gain full access to that!

Have a great summer!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Somebody at USIT HQ's is doing their homework!

Outstanding list of alternative J1 work sites, all of which I second. Many of the cities on the list are homes to major state universities (Austin - University of Texas, Madison - University of Wisconsin, Boulder - University of Colorado, Seattle - University of Washington).

This is important for a few reasons. Obviously, many young folks are located in these areas. Regarding nightlife, even if the J1 visa holder is not over age 21 (thus restricting their legal ability to get into bars/nightclubs), with so many other young adults floating around, multiple other social options exist. Also, the cities mentioned have largely weathered the economic downturn fairly well and jobs should be available (many year-round students who hold jobs during the school-year return to their hometowns for the summer months and thus businesses look to fill the spots of the departed student workers).

I love NYC and Chicago, but this is a solid list of alternative sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭epiphony

Anyone here heading to San Francisco? I haven't heard great things about getting jobs there, but we really want to go and are looking for some people to share accommodation with as there is only 3 of us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 USIT: Simone

epiphony wrote: »
    Anyone here heading to San Francisco? I haven't heard great things about getting jobs there, but we really want to go and are looking for some people to share accommodation with as there is only 3 of us...

San Francisco is a very diverse city and caters for every different nationality. With its quirky architecture, multi-cultural feel and bayside beauty, this is one of the most visited cities in America—and the world.

A magnet for major universities (including Stanford and Berkeley nearby), it is worth considering on-campus accommodation for your J1 stay.

San Fran is perhaps best known as America’s counter-culture hub. It’s a city famous for its tolerance, the country’s gay hot spot, and a haven for anyone interested in nature, food or nightlife. The nightlife is very diverse in San Fran; it depends on what you’re in the mood for on any particular night. You can pan out in a dive bar, play some pool and listen to juke box music, or get dressed up and rub shoulders with the wealthy on a roof top bar like in the Sir Francis Drake Hotel!

The cost of living in San Fran is up there with New York. Some Americans living and working there full time find it extremely hard to keep up with the rent and so share housing. So you can imagine it might be that much harder if you are here on a 3-5mth summer visa. However, we have gotten feedback from previous J1ers who have survived on big tips and didn’t find it any trouble!

The public transport is good in San Francisco, making it perhaps on of the easiest big cities in America to explore without a car. Make sure to take a spin out to Alcatraz for a trip and see where Al Capone was kept!

If you do find difficulty in finding jobs or accommodation, consider relocating to San Jose nearby. There are plenty of fantastic surrounding areas, so it’s not the end of the world if things don’t according to plan!

So far we have registered employers in the San Fran area for work in marketing, water parks and bike rental companies - you get access to this and info on employer roadshow dates when you register your j1 with USIT.

If you want to find others to share housing with, there are discussion threads on www.j1forum.com or you can start your own discussion on our J1 FB page which is how a lot of students have linked up with others http://www.facebook.com/UsitTravel?v=app_2373072738&ref=ts

Enjoy!! www.j1online.ie

Advertisement